Boston to Maine Itinerary Seeking Input on Time to Allot

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2024, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are actually starting in Hartford and visiting Essex so I can go on boat and train ride and stay at Griswold Inn.
I goofed and have us driving to Boston on Memorial Day and worry about the traffic--any thoughts? We are splurging and staying at Revere House b/c hubby is not great walker and lots of sights are nearby. Boston restaurant recommendations? Is it possible to get tickets to Fenway Park?

After that I want to go find a few spots--even if I have to backtrack-- to stay in for 2 to 3 days and not move hotels every day. I think Salem could be one spot to stay in 2 days. But I don't want to stay too long in one area if there is better place to roost up the road.We like historic inns but also are spending a lot in CT and Boston so are willing to be more economical at times.
Concord (to see authors' homes and Walden Pond) and Revolutionary sites and Lexington
Salem and Gloucester
Rockport (heard this is place with best lobster shacks)
Portsmouth and Ogunquit
Portsmouth NH to see Strawberry Banks Historic District but hubby will like breweries--any ones to recommend b/c we cannot do all
Portland Maine

Finally is there a way to schedule stops to see some places on way up and others on way back to Boston for our flight home? Or can we see coast spots and go inland on return and see other scenery?
JoAnn and Ken
Old May 2nd, 2024, 01:57 AM

It depends on what you want to do. Portland is not very far from Boston. We have stayed in the Wells ME area and done day trips to different things in and around Portland such as visit Freeport for a couple of stores and then back to Wells with an evening visit to Ogunquit Playhouse. But Strawbery Banke can take more than one day and I would add a boat ride around the harbor or inland rivers. I think you can take a brewery tour. We usually just go to one and do a flight.
From Wells or Portsmouth a visit to Stonewall Kitchen Cookin school is fun. It's all demo with meal served to you. And we like to stop for samples and bread purchases at When Pigs Fly.

Portland to the west is NH's White Mountains and Lake Winnipesaukee area. I think it's only an hour's drive. If you like nature I highly recommend a Squam Lake Science center cruise. You could drive from Portland to North Conway area, drive the famous Kancamagus Highway, have lunch then an afternoon cruise. Stay in Meredith NH. A lot of driving and very busy day but do-able.
From Meredith NH take I93 south to Canterbury Shaker Village for a tour. You could then drive back to Boston. Or from Canterbury take Rt 106 to Concord and then east on Rt 4 to Portsmouth NH if you want to do any coastal things then.
Best lobster and fried seafood is Petey's in Rye NH.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:10 AM

How many days are you planning to spent in/around Boston? Both Salem and Gloucester are within commuting distance of Boston. I have been to the Boston area zillions of times as have family in/around both Providence and Boston and older daughter went to college and lived up there for a year post-college. Twice I have based in Gloucester on different trips, once we did a whale watch out of Gloucester and another time we did a day in Salem, primarily for the Peabody Essex Museum. Salem is pretty touristy as much of the witch-related sites and activities are not actual historic locations as not many archival items remain from the actual witch trial days.

We have been to Portsmouth but never spent time at Strawberry Banke as either too rainy or too hot to walk around. We do however spend time frequently in Ogunquit as well as further north in Maine. From Ogunquit we do day trips to Portland. The classic lobster roll stop is in Wiscasset, Red's, a bit further north primarily in Boothbay Harbor There are lobster places in many locations throughout coastal Maine. Perhaps you have heard of Claws which is either Rockport/Rockand which border one another. Claws is okay but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there, there are others that are better. Actually in Perkins Cove in Ogunquit there is a good lobster roll spot as well as one in Kennebunkport, just north of Ogunquit.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 10:14 AM

Above post, I meant to say that we primarily stay in Boothbay Harbor, which is down a peninsula and does have Robinson's Wharf, a good lobster destination. We do visit the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens and have several trips done boat rides from Boothbay Harbor as well as from Portland.

In terms of Red Sox, you need to check if they are actually home when you will be there. There are usually tickets available on the secondary market like StubHub, but you can also do standing room at Fenway. There is a minor league Red Sox affiliate in Portland, the Sea Dogs and again you need to check if they are home or away. Not sure if the one in Pawtucket is still there or not.
Old May 2nd, 2024, 09:13 PM

Agree with dfrostnh that Petey’s in Rye, NH is a great place for lobster. We usually stop there on our way up from the Boston airport to Maine and again on the way back down. We like sitting in the bar area (to the left when you walk in the door) as it fun to hear the locals talking with the bartenders.

Rockport is a cute town with lots of little touristy shops, good for an afternoon but wouldn’t stay there. If the Red Socks aren’t playing at home you can still do a tour of Fenway Park, very interesting.

We have been to Maine many times, staying in Portland, Booth Bay, Acadia, Freeport, Saco, Kennebunkport and most recently in Ogunquit. Portland has good restaurants, nice shops and the possibility of taking a ride on the mail boats. Ogunquit has the fabulous Margunal Way walk, which shouldn’t be missed. Kennebunkport is adorable and you can take a drive along the coast to the north to see Walker’s Point, the Bush family compound. Absolutely gorgeous coastline. Freeport has the LL Bean factory store as well as other outlet stores. It’s not as good as it used to be with many empty storefronts.

If you go to Kennebunkport, stop and have a croissant at Boulangerie - A Proper Bakery in Kennebunk - every bit as good as the best croissant I’ve had in Paris! The baguettes and everything else we’ve tried have been fantastic, too.

Whatever you chose, I’m sure you’ll have a great time!
Old May 3rd, 2024, 03:47 AM

Be aware the “best lobster shacks” would be in Rockport Maine not Rockport Massachusetts. Rockport MA is near Gloucester and is a nice little coastal town with artists galleries, restaurants, gift shops, pretty views, etc.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 07:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There are several Amtrak Downeaster trains that leave Boston North station every day. Check the schedules and see if you can just rent a car in Maine. The Freeport ME station is within walking distance of the L.L. Bean flagship store.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

You've given me a lot to consider. Husband loves road trips (and I had targeted the Kancamagus , boating, and old buildings. If he wants two days in Strawberry Banke I could leave him there and go to Stonewall, but I think the brewery might lure him away. Shaker Village sounds good too.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks for thoughtful feedback. I like idea of Kancamagus Hwy and stops before Concord and Portsmouth on way back.
Stonewall sounds fun. I also have been trying to see what theaters have to offer so will check out Ogunquit Playhouse.

Concord could be whole day with visit to Lexington as well as Walden Pond (although it sound perhaps easier to walk there than try to park at access to pond?Any lodging ideas there?
Old May 3rd, 2024, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

If I skip CT or put at end of trip is it worth renting car after Boston stay to avoid hotel's parking fees or does it break even with need to Uber or taxi from airport.
We definitely need car after Boston and between there and Maine.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Oh so much good information, especially about the bakery as I was in Paris last year and their baguettes are the best! Just back from Vienna which also has wonderful breads and too much to do if you are looking for a good getaway. Austria was better than I expected.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks for correcting my geographical error--important!
Old May 3rd, 2024, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

I red about the Sea Dogs, they sound interesting. And I do want to visit botanical gardens.
I will check out Boothbay Harbor as the peninsula sounds fun.
Old May 3rd, 2024, 11:07 PM

Also check bus service to/from Boston to Concord NH, Portsmouth and Portland ME. Bus to Logan also stops at south station. Then check car rentals in those cities.

there are micro breweries all over NH, ME and VT. Your husband will have a great time. If I didn,t mention before, the distillery in Tamworth NH has a fun tasting and is interesting to visit.
Old May 4th, 2024, 08:26 AM

The Kanc is great to drive, very scenic. If you are driving East to West, when you exit in Lincoln, there is a summer stock playhouse there, name is changed from when we used to take our kids every summer as for years we rented up in Waterville Valley. There is also summer theatre in Meredith which is just near Tamworth as well as up in Bethlehem, north of Lincoln.
Old May 4th, 2024, 01:24 PM

When in Portland check out Standard Baking Co. We recently taste tested about $50 of pastries and all were exceptional.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/standard-ba...and-2?start=40

Last edited by Inakauaidavidababy; May 4th, 2024 at 01:36 PM.