Provence Itinerary

Search

Provence Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2024, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Provence Itinerary

Hello, Our family of four (two adults and two teenagers) are planning a trip to Provence late June this summer.
After three days in Barcelona we're renting a car (in France) and doing the following:

Two nights in Collouire (this might change)
three nights based near Avignon/Arles
Two or three nights near Vaison La Romaine
two nights in Roussion
one night in cassis (not sure if this is worth a night?)
three nights in Nice

We like to pack light and don't mind moving around a bit to change up scenery/cut driving time. Any thoughts on if we're trying to pack too much in? Any thoughts on where to base for easy access to Avignon, Arles, Les Baux, Pont du gard? We like smaller towns, ruins and generally exploring.

Thanks!
Kelly

Old Apr 26th, 2024, 12:05 PM

I just came back from a month in Provence and visited/stayed in all but Nice, Cassis, Roussion and Collouire.I only travel by public transpo so all were close.

Week in Arles and 2 weeks in Avignon. Loved them both. All walkable. Car--might be an issue re parking. Pont du Gard wonderful, Vaison delightful.

How long is the trip?

if you could Carcassonne is worth a detour-incredible!

I'm not much of a mover as I prefer to stay in one apartment for a 5-7 day period than constantly move, wait till 2-3pm to gain access to even a hotel but that is me.

Do you happen to need a Michelen map of Provence or any books. Have many that were gifted to me so want to pass along.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 03:43 PM

Would you be open to taking a train to Arles/Nīmes/Avignon rather than make the drive all the way from Collioure? And would you be open to keeping Nice for another year? Or you could skip the stay in Collioure in order to have a decent amount of time for Nice and the journey to it.

You could spend several carless days exploring whichever of those cities you land in first — Arles and Nīmes being particularly rich in Roman ruins, Nīmes easier to reach in one train ride, Avignon visitable in a day train trip from either — before renting a car to visit Aigues-Mortes, Baux de Provence, Pont du Gard from a base that is easier to get in and out of by car. Then move on to a spot within easy reach of Vaison la Romaine. We have found Mazan and Pernes-les-Fontaines central to the wine villages, Vaison-la-Romaine and the Luberon (including Roussillon).

If you are committed to Nice, perhaps it’s your departure airport, so be it. You can drop in on Cassis on your way there.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 07:00 AM

You are quite late in booking hotels & such.

Attached is my Provence & Cote d'Azur itinerary

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"After three days in Barcelona we're renting a car (in France) and doing ........"

as will many Europeans
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We've decided to skip Colluoire for now to allow more time in Provence. Thinking about adding a night in Carcassonne from your suggestion. Thanks!
We do have maps from my sister, but thank you!
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, great suggestions. We are skipping Collioure (thanks for the nudge). We are looking into your car rental idea. Thank you!

And yes--flying out of Nice.
Thanks for taking time to help us with our spur-the-moment trip planning!
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Stu, thanks for the document. A wealth of info. we appreciate it.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 03:41 AM

Would not change hotels so much, you have a car. Would not spend any overnights in Cassis. Why are you doing that.