Coimbra or more time in Lisbon ?

Search

Coimbra or more time in Lisbon ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2024, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To visit Coimbra or not to visit Coimbra, that is the question

Good afternoon! Due to a scheduling mix-up of our lodgings in Lagos, I find myself in possession of one extra night in our itinerary that isn't accounted for, and I would appreciate your advice on where to spend it. Here's what we have lined up so far:
Lagos-4 nights
Evora-2 nights
Nazare-4 nights (with day trip/s to surrounding sites and cities)
? Coimbra or Lisbon
Lisbon-4 nights (with a day trip to Sintra)
The shortest amount of time we like to stay in one hotel is 2 nights. Here is what I'm trying to decide between:
A. Take one night from Nazare and add it to the extra night, giving us two nights in Coimbra. The only negatives to this option are one more hotel change and an extra 2-3 hours devoted to transportation to and from here. Coimbra sounds amazing, though, and I'd love to see it!
B. Add the extra night to Lisbon, which would give us time to take a day trip to Setubal
C. Add the extra night to Nazare, which would give us time to visit Caldas da Rainha and Sao Martinho do Porto

I am leaning towards choice A, but I would love to hear your thoughts on this matter. Thanks for listening!!

Last edited by travelwithginger; Apr 25th, 2024 at 12:29 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2024, 12:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
My choice ... A. Take one night from Nazare and add it to the extra night, giving us two nights in Coimbra. The only negatives to this option are one more hotel change and an extra 2-3 hours devoted to transportation to and from here. Coimbra sounds amazing, though, and I'd love to see it!

Coimbra is terrific. Below is the link to our busy day in Coimbra in 2022. Lots of photos in report, too.
https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/cha...mbing-coimbra/

Cloisters at Mosteiro da Santa Cruz

Old Apr 25th, 2024, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Maitaitom, thank you very much for your advice! This photo is amazing, and I look forward to learning more about your day there.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 07:05 AM

I agree with Coimbra "is terrific". Wonderful Portugal
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

virginiafish, thank you so much for responding! I've got our room booked there, and I can't wait!
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 07:02 PM
mjs

Just curious as to why you are staying so much time in Nazare.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 08:27 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We would never spend five minutes in Nazare again. Choose somewhere else.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 01:58 AM
mjs

No Porto?
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 04:45 AM

I’m with Happy,
Would not want to spend nights in Nazaré. I would put 2 nights in Tomar instead or 2 nights in Coimbra, certainly. Coimbra for me is a must.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

mjs, the reason I chose Nazare is because of the beach and as a base to see Alcobaca, Batalha, and maybe even Fatima and Tomar. We would only spend a day taking in the sights of Nazare and spend the other time there day tripping. I've considered staying in Sao Martinho do Porto or Caldas da Rainha instead ,because a local contact said they were less touristy than Nazare. What are your thoughts on this?
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr, thanks for your feedback. Is there another beach town nearby that you'd prefer over Nazare?
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

No, unfortunately not. It looks wonderful, but we wanted a more relaxed pace for this trip, so we didn't want to go too far north. If I was flying out of Porto, I sure would have included it, though! Hopefully, I can visit there in the future!
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Maribel, thanks for your feedback. Are you suggesting we skip Nazare entirely, and replace it with Tomar? I am a little concerned that Nazare will be overrun with tourists, of which I'm one. Thanks for confirming about Coimbra!
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by travelwithginger
Maribel, thanks for your feedback. Are you suggesting we skip Nazare entirely, and replace it with Tomar? I am a little concerned that Nazare will be overrun with tourists, of which I'm one. Thanks for confirming about Coimbra!
We went to Coimbra and I liked it, but if you do go, make a reservation to see the library at the university, We did not know it was needed, and we walked to it but couldn't get in, so we missed seeing it. It is supposed to be a highlight. I almost didn't go to Fatima but am glad that I did. I am Catholic and seeing the location where the Virgin Mary made an appearance to the three sheperd girls on earth was incredibly powerful for me. We also really loved Lisbon, it is such a livable city, wonderful people everywhere.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 07:27 PM
kja

Originally Posted by travelwithginger
the reason I chose Nazare is because of the beach and as a base to see Alcobaca, Batalha, and maybe even Fatima and Tomar. We would only spend a day taking in the sights of Nazare and spend the other time there day tripping. I
I wonder if you might be overestimating the time it will take to see some of these places. I didn't dislike Nazare as much as some people did,. but I spent only one evening there. That said, unless I wanted beach time (I did not), I don't know what else you would make a priority in comparison to the many other options you have. You can easily see the monasteries in both Alcobaca and Batalha in a single day trip -- or en route to Tomar. Tomar is also small; the town and the Convent of Christ would likewise easily fit in a single day trip .. or en route to Coimbra. And I agree with others that Coimbra is a gem -- easily worth a very full day at a minimum and best, IMO, with a two night stay. Making a reservation to tour the university and it's magnificent library is a good idea. Hope that helps!
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 07:56 PM
mjs

How are you getting around? Car?
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 12:17 PM

travelwithginger,
Yes, I think that Nazaré will be very tourist-filled, as is Obidos these days. You could visit Tomar and the Convento de Cristo in route to Coimbra, as many do. I would definitely plan to overnight at least in Coimbra. In addition to the University and its library, the Museu Machado de Castro is a true gem, don't miss it! and the city has a lively student atmosphere.
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Conndog, I appreciate the tip about the Library and everything else you shared!
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

kja, thank you very much for your feedback! It sounds like it will be easy to fit in many of the surrounding sights whilst in Nazare. I think that my husband would enjoy some beach time, but I truly appreciate you sharing your opinion of Nazare. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Coimbra. Knowing that just makes me that much happier that we're staying for two nights!
Old Apr 29th, 2024, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

mjs, we will pick up our rental car in Lagos, and will have it whilst there and in Evora and Nazare. We will drop it off at the end of our time in Nazare and take either a bus or train to Coimbra. Then we will travel to Lisbon the same way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -