Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

12 days in Spain with 5 Teen Boys -- Need Itinerary Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have over researched and now I can't figure out how to balance everyone's requests! Background: My sister and I will be in Spain for 2 weeks (12 full days, 2 travel days) in mid-June with our 5 teen boys. We originally had planned to go south to Seville, Granada, Ronda, plus Malaga Vicinity (for the Caminito del Rey and beach day). We fly in and out of Madrid, but now I'm concerned it will be too hot in Andalusia that time of year. Alternatively, we have considered going North to Basque country and Barcelona (maybe skip Madrid altogether and get a connecting flight to Barcelona). The boys are excellent travelers, but have requested outdoor, small town adventures and not a too much city/museums this time around. I lived in Madrid many moons ago and have been to Seville, Granada, Barcelona, and small towns in Galicia, so I am more concerned with what the teens and my sister will enjoy since this is their first time in Spain. Basque country would be new for me which would be a perk.

A few general questions/concerns:
- I know no one can predict the weather, but is it likely to be miserably hot in Andalusia mid-June? We are coming from CA and have lived in the tropics, so we are okay with some heat, but as tourists I know there is a lot of walking outside
- Would Basque country be too cold for enjoyable swimming beach days? Boys much prefer warm water (our beaches are freezing), but enjoy any beach.
- Are there any specific outdoor adventures you would recommend in Basque country for adventurous boys? Canyoning, zip-lines, hikes/bike rides.
- Barcelona is fascinating and I think the boys would enjoy it, but has the mass tourism made it unbearable and over-run (I was there 25 years ago!!)? I know they are suffering from drought and not sure how that will impact things.
- I would prefer to stay at least 2 nights, preferably 3 per location
- We pack light and are fine with driving (in fact we love road-trips)

Itinerary A: South
2 days Madrid
3 days Seville (AVE train to Seville)
4 days Malaga vicinity - Maybe Alora? (1 day Ronda/hill towns, 1 day Caminito, Beach 1-2 days) - (DRIVE)
2 days Granada (no car)
1 day Granada >> Madrid

Itinerary B: North
3 days Barcelona (day trip to Monserrat?)
2 days beach outside of Barcelona (Sitges? Tossa del Mar)
...1 day Fly/Drive to San Sebastian...
2 days San Sebastian or nearby town like Ribadisella (w/day trip to French Basque country)
3 days Bilbao
1 day Madrid (on our way out)

We are okay combining flying, driving, trains for portions. Museums, city/foodie tour days are great, but they need to be balanced with outdoor adventure days.

...and the most crazy itinerary combing North and South:

2 days Madrid (AVE to Seville)
3 days Seville
3 days Malaga area (Beach, Caminito, Ronda) - Flight to Bilbao
4 days Basque country (location TBD)

Which itinerary would you do? Are these all impossible to execute? Is it too much?

-Erika
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:28 AM

In general June is not nearly as hot as July or August in Andalusia, In July and August, it is like walking on the sun. Still, that's what siestas are for...then things open back up and stay open later.

If it's all the same to the kids, why not go North instead? And if you don't want big cities, why would you spend 3 days in Bilbao?
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

shelemm Thanks for the feedback. Re: Bilbao, I wasn't envisioning spending all 3 days in the city, maybe just located in the general area so we can spend 1 day exploring Bilbao and visiting Guggenheim, and then day trips to various remote locations. Do you think it will be too much to try and do some Basque country and Barcelona/Costa Brava?
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:38 AM

Itinerary B:
in mid June, stick to the usually much cooler north. 3 days Barcelona (although that's giving the city very short shrift), 2 beach days in Sitges, although since Sitges is so close to Barcelona via Rodalies commuter train, you could actually go for just a day without overnighting there, no need really, which I would recommend, fly or train to San Sebastian (the drive is tedious and time consuming), then 2-3 days in San Sebastián, although noting that in SS you can never be assured of a beautiful beach day, since it´s a very rainy area.

But please, please, don't try to go all the way west to Ribadesella in Asturias, just stay in San Sebastián/Donostia, preferably for 3 days with a possible day trip to the French Basque Country (by bus) to Bayonne, my favorite Pays Basque city, or to Saint-Jean-de-Luz for the beach (there's a wonderful outdoor market on Tuesdays and Fridays), then 3 days in Bilbao, with a trip by metro to Getxo to see the Hanging Bridge, Puente Colgante. It's a marvel and must be seen. Mikelg can give you more details. Or if you hit a nice beach day (remembering that the Basque Country is a very rainy area), then take the metro to the beaches of Plentzia.

Last edited by Maribel; Apr 23rd, 2024 at 11:42 AM.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Maribel Oops, I meant to type Hondaribbia not Ribadesella. Definitely way too far to drive there. Is there a smaller town outside of Bilbao that might be a better base for us on that leg of the trip? We plan to rent a car for this area and the boys like the idea of seeing the Castillo de Butron, San Juan de Gaztelugatxe, Mundaka. Are there any canyoning or rock-climbing/adventure hikes that would be good for them in Basque region? They liked the idea of El Caminito del Rey so looking for a similar adventure to meet that request. Could be in Barcelona area too.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 12:03 PM

Yes, Hondarribia is easier. You can take the bus there, the E21 for a day trip. It's a very, very atmospheric town with a beach.
A smaller town outside of Bilbao in the Urdaibai....maybe Bermeo, near Mundaka and San Juan de Gaxtelugatxe? What sort of lodging are you looking for?
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 12:16 PM

It sounds to me like your teens already have some great ideas! You should accommodate them and go north. Personally, I think you all might have a better time after the Bilbao area to go to Picos de Europa. There are some fantastic day hikes that combine a glimpse of mountain village life.

BTW, here is a list of via ferrata in the Basque Country:

https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/via-f...basque-country
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 12:23 PM

With itinerary B, I don't see that you have time to go all the way west to Picos de Europa.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

We generally like airbnbs for a group of our size over hotels. I enjoy seeing what homes are like and don't mind being on the outskirts. We stayed in a remote village in Italy once in a castle tower which the kids LOVED. The Picos look amazing, but worried as Maribel said that they are a bit too far?? Would love to see small farm towns. So hard!!
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:30 PM

If you like airbnbs for your group, you might want to check out the "casas rurales" (landetxea) of the Basque Country. They belong to an association called Nekatur. We've s stayed in several of them, both whole house rentals and also B&B type places.

We're headed to the Urdaibai this weekend and will base at a country inn, the Oar Cottage, in Garai, but there are several whole house rentals in the Urdaibai Biosphere. The Urdaibai is beautiful, filled with farm towns. Or...if you want to be near the water and closer to Bilbao, better still, check out Plentzia, to the northwest of Bilbao. It's on the metro line.

On https://www.nekatur.net/Default.aspx?lang=en-US
under "province", put in "Bizkaia" (the Basque name for the Vizcaya province)