Search

Itinerary advice: South of France with teens

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary advice: South of France with teens

Hello travellers,

Thank you to those who offered advice in response to an earlier request. I am opening a new thread now that I have refined my destination - I hope that is not wrong. Could I please ask for your advice on our itinerary?

First some context: We are a family from Canada traveling with kids aged 12, 15 and 16. We have booked flights in and out of Toulouse, June 26 to July 11 and will be renting a car.
We have visited the Dordogne previously. We adults absolutely loved it and would be happy to do the same again, but the kids risk being bored so we are looking at a slightly different route.
Parents' interests: Scenery, beautiful villages, food, hiking and biking. Kids interests: mostly social media and video games. It is tricky to get them interested in small town and countryside activities.
We would like to settle into two or three places rather than move every couple of nights. Ideally for the parents: a house with a pool, some self-catering and day trips. Perhaps preferable for the kids: an apartment or hotel in a town where they can explore on their own.

So here is my current idea:

First few nights in Collioure
  • Day trip to Villefranche du Conflant and the little yellow train (as far as Mont Louis, return)
  • Day trip to Duilhac-sous-Peyrepertuse and swimming at Gorges du Verdouble (or do this on the way to Carcassonne?)
Next, a few nights in or near Carcassonne (I have read that it is overly commercialized and Disney-fied... which the kids might love)
  • Day trips to Mirepoix and Minerve
Finally, a few nights or a week in the Dordogne or Lot region - maybe near Albi or Cahors or a smaller pretty town? (Previously we stayed in Sarlat and Les Eyzies). Or possibly a house with a pool in the countryside. Sorry if the kids can't walk to a town but a pool would be so nice. The first two stops are for them.

What do you think?