Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Caribbean-bound But Where to?

Search
View Poll Results: Which would you choose based on my previous post. Newly single mid 40’s male
SXM
0%
Arubs
0%
Barbados
0%
Curaçao
50.00%
Colombia- Cartagena (not island but Caribbean coast)
0%
Cuba- still researching, are U.S. citizens allowed into Cuba?
50.00%
St. Lucia
0%
Grenada
0%
USVI
0%
Guadeloupe
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2024, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I’m looking at a fresh Caribbean adventure for this July, likely towards the middle to end of month. 2 weeks roughly. This would actually be my very first solo trip as I’ve not long ago separated from my wife. All previous traveling abroad had been done as a couple. I’m looking forward to this new era but at the same time slightly apprehensive. I’m looking for beautiful m calm beaches with varying shades of blue, moderately priced air bnb accommodations, some exploring opportunities, I’m not one for extreme activities but open to trying some new activities to spark this new era of my life. I’d also like to experience some exciting nightlife opportunities, meeting single women and whatnot while out and about to socialize with, not looking for anything serious. I’ve done some research on beaches and various other criteria I’d like to consider but thought I’d also ask around in the forum to get some ideas. Not looking to break the bank so to speak but I don’t mind hearing about your suggestions even if it’s a bit rich for my bank account 😉
Ive been to Puerto Rico, Grand Cayman, and Aruba most recently, but again that was while with my wife. Not sure if those experiences would be much different if taken in as a single male traveler. Appreciate all of your advice in advance!
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 03:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. I'm not going to vote since I've only been to two of your list but I was curious about this bit " . . . based on my previous post." - Since it appears this is your first time on the forums, what previous post?

Also terms like 'moderately priced 'and 'not wanting to break the bank' aren't all that helpful -- we'd need to know your budget (i.e. an actual $ number) to give useful feedback.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

My apologies. I should’ve gone back and edited the post before publishing. I did a poll and meant to connect it to the post I created about first trip abroad as a solo traveler. As far as explaining moderately priced, I’m not in to resorts/AI’s at all so Air BnBs. And I guess you could say I’d consider myself a “budget-traveler.” Not counting airfare I’d say maybe anywhere between $3K-$5k maybe a little less accounting accommodations, meals, exploring and such. Looking at maybe a 10 day vacation
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 09:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You need to be very careful with AirBnBs in a place you are not familiar with. I don't stay at "resorts" or "All Inclusives" either. But I rent a normal hotel or an apartment thru a local agency (not a one-off owner).

Yeah, I'm not voting either because from your list I've only been to USVI. I suppose that would work but seems an odd choice for a solo person.

I very much have enjoyed a few trips to Jamaica. I liked Dominican Republic somewhat but too long ago to be helpful. My solo trips are most often to Puerto Vallarta Mexico, on the Pacific Coast. If you've any interest in that, I can help.

As far as budget, I do 10 day trips (to PV from Seattle)... last one was $500 air + $1000 studio apartment + $1000 food/spending = $2500 total trip cost.
Old Apr 23rd, 2024, 03:01 PM

Cuba!!! But I understand that's not super helpful because I'm not American so I don't know if you can or not