Search

venice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2024, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
venice

Hello Fodorites! My daughter and I will be leaving Lisbon and flying into Venice in July for 2 nights. Is there a nearby town that is a good point for a day trip into Venice. The lodging there in Venice is so pricey that maybe there is a reasonably close area and take public transportation into Venice?
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 03:42 PM

Mestre is close to Venice, a ten minute train ride to the station, Venezia Santa Lucia.
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 03:53 PM

Two days is a very short visit. I would not consume any un-needed travel time to get to St Marks & beyond. Get a paper route, or some other means to come up with the money to stay close to St. Marks.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 05:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have 2 nights and want to commute? Two nights is really only one full day - I would stay as central as possible. Definitely no farther than Mestre.
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 05:31 PM

If you are spending the money and time to fly from Lisbon to Venice, don’t cut short a single minute there. Stay in Venice! Wake up to the sounds of Venice in the morning, boats bringing in Food, laundry, flowers! Enjoy the quiet night time after day trippers have left. Somewhere in Dorsoduro would be as good as, if not better than, St Marks area. Even near the train station, Santa Lucia, would be better than commuting.
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 06:07 PM

"Even near the train station, Santa Lucia, would be better than commuting."

I agree - staying outside the city can definitely be a false economy
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
If you are spending the money and time to fly from Lisbon to Venice, don’t cut short a single minute there. Stay in Venice! Wake up to the sounds of Venice in the morning, boats bringing in Food, laundry, flowers! Enjoy the quiet night time after day trippers have left. Somewhere in Dorsoduro would be as good as, if not better than, St Marks area. Even near the train station, Santa Lucia, would be better than commuting.
You all talked us into staying for longer! Now any suggestions for hotels?
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jjude
You all talked us into staying for longer! Now any suggestions for hotels?
Can you provide us with your budget range, in Euros?
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 07:37 PM

Also when? The prices November are a fraction of summer pricing.
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 08:44 PM

The OP said July. I agree, stay IN Venice!
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 09:23 PM

https://www.pensioneaccademia.it

I have not stayed here, but the reviews are great and the location is excellent. Many places are going to be booked already, so book as soon as you can make a decision.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 02:12 AM

You've got a couple of options that won't break the bank. Consider staying in Mestre. It's right on the mainland across from Venice, and you can catch a train or bus that'll zip you into the city in no time. Plus, it's got its own little buzz, so you won't feel like you're missing out when you're not in Venice. Another cool spot is Padua (Padova). It's a bit further out but the trains are super frequent and it's only about a half-hour ride to Venice. Padua's got some sweet sights of its own, like the Scrovegni Chapel with Giotto's frescoes, so it's like getting a two-for-one on your trip. Moreover, you can check out Treviso. It's a charming town with canals, too, so you get a mini-Venice vibe without the crowds. The train ride is about the same as from Padua and you'll find some lovely spots to chill after a day of Venetian exploration. No matter where you choose, you'll find good public transport options that'll make your day trips to Venice easy-peasy.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 04:12 AM
J62

To me the biggest benefit of staying right in Venice is the ability to take a mid day or afternoon break, rest up, refresh, then enjoy dinner out and an evening stroll. If you stay anywhere outside, even Mestre, once you leave for the day you’re not likely to return and will miss a very enjoyable part of the day. Or if you decide to slog it through all day, you’re likely to be a zombie come dinner time.

Staying longer and doing multiple day trips does’t solve that issue.

Old Apr 20th, 2024, 06:31 AM

Stay in Venice. The Dorsoduro section is a great choice, well located and easy walk to everything. We had a wonderful stay at Palazzo Guardi, a boutique hotel with excellent rates when we were there ( off season). If staying there try to get room 4 or 5. Both are extra large and overlook the San Trovaso canal. Breakfast is included. The rooms actually are well represented by the photos. The hotel is the 3rd floor of a building in alley and the elevator is miniscule. The nearby Taverna San Trovaso was very good and popular

Last edited by basingstoke2; Apr 20th, 2024 at 06:46 AM.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 06:57 AM

Another "not Mestre" vote here.

You can get to the Venice train station area rather quickly from Mestre, but then you will want to go to/from the St Marks, Dorsoduro, Armory areas (where all the "action" is) - and that's a long slog away. As J62 and others have stated - it is a wonderful experience just hanging out in Venice so you can see St Mark's in the very early morning when the sun is shining directly on it & the Doges, and nobody is there yet. And hanging out in the evening in St Marks to hear the orchestras playing is a very romantic experience. The mid-afternoon "rest" at the hotel/apt is a welcome event for us. We stayed in Dorsoduro for a week on our last visit - and before that several 3-5 night stays near St Marks.

Staying in Venice allows you to see things early & late in the day before the hoard of tourists arrive & after they depart. If you stay in Mestre, you likely be in the hoard of tourists.

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Apr 20th, 2024 at 07:08 AM.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by J62
To me the biggest benefit of staying right in Venice is the ability to take a mid day or afternoon break, rest up, refresh, then enjoy dinner out and an evening stroll. If you stay anywhere outside, even Mestre, once you leave for the day you’re not likely to return and will miss a very enjoyable part of the day. Or if you decide to slog it through all day, you’re likely to be a zombie come dinner time.

Staying longer and doing multiple day trips does’t solve that issue.
I appreciate all the input you all have given us, my sincere thanks. I am now looking for a hotel or some kind of lodging in Venice itself.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 03:33 PM

If you tell us your budget we may have useful recommendations.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If budget overall is a concern, be very careful of potential costs for sitting at a cafe. If it's in the big piazza and you sit outside, a coffee or wine could end up expensive due to add-on costs, for sitting outside, for the music, service charge etc. If you eat or drink in the quieter back streets it will likely be cheaper.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 04:32 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Staying in Mestre would. be a terrible choice. If you want to see Venice, STAY in Venice!
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 04:45 PM

The OP has now said in post #16 that they will stay in Venice itself.

OP, renewing mine and janisj's request for you to please provide your budget and your local currency. This will help us help you suggest accommodations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -