Hoi An - add on Halong Bay or beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2024, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - My 85 year old mom, my sister and I have 7 days to spend in the Hoi An / Vietnam area from Singapore. We definitely want to see Hoi An but trying to decide if its worth going to one other attraction. Not so interested in Ho Chi Minh but am interested in Halong Bay or a nice beach resort. Is an option to fly to an airport close to Halong Bay, organize a day cruise, spend another night, and then fly to Hoi An? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks! Sylvia
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 07:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you go to Halong Bay, stay overnight on a boat, very special environment.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I assume that as you have mentioned your mothers age, that is a concern for you? If so, then be aware that it will be a long days travelling from Hoi An to Halong Bay. To fly you would need total taxi from Hoi An to Da Nang airport and then fly to Haiphong and then a taxi to Halong. As suggested above, a one or two night cruise would be the best option by far. I would also suggest looking at Bai Tu Long Bay rather than Halong. Same scenery but far fewer visitors.

In my view, seven days in Hoi An would be way too much time as it is now overrun with tour groups many visiting form the mega resort hotels up the coast toward Da Nang. Alternatives would be beach time at one of those resorts or one of the beaches close to Hoi An. If you have any interest in Vietnamese culture then I would consider a few days in Hue.