Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best method to get to our hotel in Cascais?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2024, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have a long day of train riding from Pinhao in the Duoro south ending in Cascais.
It would involve bus transportation between train stations in Lisbon and then a final train to Cascais and an Uber to our hotel. Should I get off the train at the first station in Lisbon and Uber from there to my hotel? We are staying at the Artsy Cascais.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 10:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pawleys
We will have a long day of train riding from Pinhao in the Duoro south ending in Cascais.
It would involve bus transportation between train stations in Lisbon and then a final train to Cascais and an Uber to our hotel. Should I get off the train at the first station in Lisbon and Uber from there to my hotel? We are staying at the Artsy Cascais.
Well your hotel is within 500 metres of the station at Cascais so I would walk that distance so I see no need to disturb Uber at all.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Apr 13th, 2024 at 10:53 PM.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 07:24 AM

Yes, you should get off at the Oriente station (next to last, station built by Calatrava), if you're coming on the AP or the IC from Porto, and just order an Uber or a Bolt from there directly to Cascais, rather than have to take a taxi from the final AP or IC end point at Santa Apolonia station to the Cais do Sodré station to catch the commuter train to Cascais

The 3 train changes, Pinhão to Porto Campanha, then Porto Campanha to Lisbon´s Santa Apolonia on the AP or IC, then taxi to Cais do Sodré suburban station for the commuter line to Cascais is a major hassle!

I would never do that, and I´ve ridden the Cais do Sodré commuter line to Cascais many times. It´s not at all a comfortable long distance train like the Alfa Pendular or even the IC, and it could be very crowded with little room for luggage. Then you´ll need to walk or taxi from the Cascais station to your hotel, not a quick or easy walk. I do know your hotel, as it sits directly across the street from the one where we stay. I believe I recommended it to you on your other thread.

Last edited by Maribel; Apr 15th, 2024 at 07:31 AM.
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Maribel. You did recommend it. And we are really looking forward to it. we are currently booking train reservations and trying to decide whether to use the AP from Porto to Lisbon or take that regional trains to get a different view on our way back from Porto. (We will take the AP when we head north from Lisbon to Porto.) Would the IR trains on the coastal route have an interesting view on the way back?
Old Apr 21st, 2024, 11:17 PM

For expediency's sake I always take the AP because I find it a more comfortable ride in "first class", which is called "confort".