Search

Amsterdam Lodging: Airport/Town

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2024, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam Lodging: Airport/Town

Hello, Fellow Travelers!
Would appreciate some tips from people familiar with Amsterdam. My family of six are going to be in Amsterdam in July. Its the second leg of our trip and we are all leaving on different dates from Amsterdam. We (Husband/Wife; Son/Girlfriend; Daughter, 21; Younger Son, 19). We get to Amsterdam on June 29th, my son/gf leave on July 1; my husband and younger son leave on July 3, and my daughter and I leave on July 6). Because of our large party size, and the varying dates of departure (and the fact that it is July), it has been tough to find one place to stay (we like to stay in apartment like lodging when we travel, and center city) - as a place for six people is at a different price point and availability than a place for two - especially as the overall stay is 8 nights.

So many words - but I had to give those details for my query I have found a Moxy near Schipol Airport where I get three rooms (means I get three bathrooms lol); and I have found a Marriott Courtyard, Schipol where I have two rooms, with two double beds. It is by the airport, which means walking to the train, or ubering to center city, and then walking around or taking public transportation.

THE QUESTION (finally got there
For those of you familiar - how convenient is it to get to Amsterdam from Schipol? The Moxy is at HOEKSTEEN 74-84,HOOFDDORP. We will want to do Anne Frank House, Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh of course - but also just walking around, strolling along the canals, etc. Once my son and girlfriend leave, we will likely explore towns outside of Amsterdam, using public transportation. For those who stayed by the airport and did this, how much time did it take for you to get around? The prices by the airport are a third less than in the city.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 05:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've managed to miss a flight because my host insisted on driving me to the airport there. I've never missed a flight from the airport because I've used pubilc transport.

The easiest trip I've even done was by bus from Haarlem. This allowed me to stay in Haarlem and commute to Amsterdam each day. Not a bad solution.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 01:43 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Do not stay by the airport! Why travel to Amsterdam to stay at Schipol? Stay in Amsterdam or Haarlem, Delft or Leiden, The Hague.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, both. I will look into Haarlem. Prices, especially for 6 people, are steep in Amsterdam. I know steep is relative If you have any hotel recommendations, that would be appreciated. I have Fodors, Rick Steves, and Lonely Planet to guide me.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 11:22 AM

We stayed at Hotel Frenchie in Haarlem... simple but nice, great a/c, nice restaurant, convenient location, nice people.

Get your tickets to Anne Frank House as soon as your dates become available, just a caveat.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! No availability for our dates of stay at the Frenchie. Am experimenting with staying our first two nights in Amsterdam (when we are all in Amsterdam) at Hotel The Exchange which is running me Euro 760 for two nights for each room (three rooms). Yikes! After that, the four of us will move to Hotel Carillon, Haarlem, which has been written up well. That seems to be a steal (!) at Euro 135 per night, plus tax. Doing this drives up my cost considerably (as opposed to the Moxy at Schipol lol). Will explore further this weekend to get cheaper abode in Amsterdam for two nights.

Love the Fodor handle btw
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Also, thanks for the tip on Anne Frank House. Tix go on sale Tuesday 6 weeks. I have calendared the date. Not sure if the tour guides/Viator buy tickets before hand or this is for individual sales...
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 01:27 PM
J62

Originally Posted by KaneezM
Hello, Fellow Travelers!
Would appreciate some tips from people familiar with Amsterdam. My family of six are going to be in Amsterdam in July. Its the second leg of our trip and we are all leaving on different dates from Amsterdam. We (Husband/Wife; Son/Girlfriend; Daughter, 21; Younger Son, 19). We get to Amsterdam on June 29th, my son/gf leave on July 1; my husband and younger son leave on July 3, and my daughter and I leave on July 6). Because of our large party size, and the varying dates of departure (and the fact that it is July), it has been tough to find one place to stay (we like to stay in apartment like lodging when we travel, and center city) - as a place for six people is at a different price point and availability than a place for two - especially as the overall stay is 8 nights.

So many words - but I had to give those details for my query I have found a Moxy near Schipol Airport where I get three rooms (means I get three bathrooms lol); and I have found a Marriott Courtyard, Schipol where I have two rooms, with two double beds. It is by the airport, which means walking to the train, or ubering to center city, and then walking around or taking public transportation.

THE QUESTION (finally got there
For those of you familiar - how convenient is it to get to Amsterdam from Schipol? The Moxy is at HOEKSTEEN 74-84,HOOFDDORP. We will want to do Anne Frank House, Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh of course - but also just walking around, strolling along the canals, etc. Once my son and girlfriend leave, we will likely explore towns outside of Amsterdam, using public transportation. For those who stayed by the airport and did this, how much time did it take for you to get around? The prices by the airport are a third less than in the city.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.
I agree, Amsterdam hotels are expensive compared to other places around the Netherlands. As with real estate, when it comes to hotels you are paying for 3 things: location, location, location. (and maybe some amenities, but those don't count here...)

If you are visiting Amsterdam, then stay in Amsterdam. Staying near the airport for several days and you will forefeit the flexibility of coming and going when you please, and in my book sounds like being penny wise but pound foolish. Someone who is an early riser may love to go out for a walk or run and grab a coffee & pastry, while others in the group may like to take a mid afternoon rest before heading back out for dinner, and others may enjoy staying out later for a nightcap or night life, or just enjoy the evening sights & lights...

Getting to Schipol from Amsterday is as easy as hopping on a quick, direct train with trains leaving Centraal (and mayb other stations) up to 10 times an hourall day long - 30min ride. You can also get easy direct trains to Schipol from many other places in the Netherlands such as Utrecht, Den Haag, Haarlem, Rotterdam, Leiden

For the Netherlands, I've found that sites like booking.com have the most options. Be sure to look at both smaller/boutique hotels, or chains that you may not be familiar with (eg NH hotels).

There are several NL residents who frequently post here on Fodors - they can correct or add to anything I've posted.

Last edited by J62; Apr 2nd, 2024 at 01:32 PM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 01:43 PM
J62

Thinking more about it..... that 32min train ride from Schipol to AMS Centraal station is only part of it. Add on the time to get the group together, walk to the station, go through the turnstiles, find the track, etc - you're talking 45min door to door just to get to Amsterdam, or an hour and a half each and every day - when the time could be zero.... How valuable is your time? If it's worth minimum wage (now $20/hr in CA), then you're blowing away $20 x 1.5 x 6 = $180/day by staying at the airport. If your time is worth more than minimum wage - you can do the maths yourself....

For me, while $ may be limited, I can always make more. I can never get back lost time though.....
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by KaneezM
Also, thanks for the tip on Anne Frank House. Tix go on sale Tuesday 6 weeks. I have calendared the date. Not sure if the tour guides/Viator buy tickets before hand or this is for individual sales...
I bought them through their website... they are released at a certain time -- Netherlands time -- but I'm on the west coast so I didn't get up in the middle of the night to buy them but did it when I got up... lots of the availability was already taken but we got a noon time slot and a 12:15 pm time slot as they didn't have 2 tickets available at the same time. Upon arriving, we asked and were allowed to go in at the same time... they were actually quite nice about it. The presentation they give at the beginning was informative, so if you have a chance to do that before going into the rooms, I'd recommend it.

We stayed a week in Amsterdam and loved every moment. The people are great. Be vigilant to avoid getting run over by bicyclists.