Italy in November

Search

Italy in November

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2024, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy in November

Thinking of voting early and getting the heck out of nation's capital for the rest of November. Starting to think Italy/Sicily. I know, I know, not the best weather time.... but just can't bear idea of all the crowds the rest of year...... Besides who knows what the weather might do these days... I've only been to Rome and Florence and that was decades ago. Husband has never been. We are so overdue to go! So we're thinking we'd leave very end of October and come back pre Thanksgiving or after. Fly into Rome (Florence?) and spend several days in each of Rome and Florence (train in between), then train somewhere south (Naples?) to access Sicily and spend most of time there. Maybe fit in Almalfi coast? Fly out of Naples? Go back to Rome? Understand Luthansa has flights from Sicily. We will likely rely on public transport and drivers throughout as we've become too wimpy to drive internationally in our geezerhood. We continue to be midrange travelers and big walkers. Just wanted to pick the brains of you fodorites for great Italy suggestions. Thanks.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 01:59 PM

To avoid backtracking I'd fly into one city and home from another. So maybe into Florence, home from Sicily. You could fly into Florence, train to Rome, then fly from Rome to Sicily.
I was just in Florence and Rome this past November and the weather was good. Maybe we had one or two slightly cloudy drizzly days but sunshine the rest.
Not summer sort of warm but in Florence we sat out on the terrace each morning to have our breakfast. (wearing a light sweater or jacket)
It was still quite busy in both cities but tolerable. In Rome they said third week of November used to be very quiet but not now.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 02:00 PM

Don't plan on the coast. Off season you'll be lucky to find much open. The more the destination is known for summer beaches the less will be open autumn.

Other than that bring a rain jacket and weather proof shoes and you'll be fine.