Search

1/2/3 day Scenic drives and stopovers from Melboure

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2024, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/2/3 day Scenic drives and stopovers from Melboure

Hi All

Planning my 3rd trip to Australia for May/June 2025. Our main stays have been at Melbourne (with family), Sydney, Gold coast and Brisbane.

This time we would have more time at Melbourne. Haven't explored Melbourne much other than the 12 Apostles, yarra valley and Marysville. In all these 03 trips the most amazing part is the "Scenic drive" and lush green fields. We have always done these trips in June & July so maybe the greenery is more compared to in the Australian summers.

A part of drive to Marysville was so so amazing that i felt i was driving in Europe.

Therefore looking for suggestions on what else can be done as a 1/2/3 day trip from Melbourne.

Your suggestions always help us in making our trips exciting and best

Thank you

Old Mar 19th, 2024, 01:34 PM

My first thought was Melbourne/Ballarat/Grampians area/Bendigo/Melbourne. Ballarat has a great folk museum (Sovereign Hill), plus several other museums and a very good art gallery, plus some lovely old buildings. The Grampians will give you scenery, walks, animals. Bendigo is another gold rush city with a lot to offer visitors including an excellent art gallery. All these places are within a two hour drive of Melbourne but looped together would make a good trip.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 09:29 PM

another idea is to visit Phillip Island -the penguin parade is fantastic and there are other sights on the island too.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 09:52 PM

Central/Western Victoria is a great idea. Castlemaine and Maldon aren't far from Bendigo or the wine growing region around Avoca. Another possibility would be Bright/Beechworth/Rutherglen/etc. (about 4-5hr drive from central Melbourne, although train and bus is also possible). Or Wilson's Prom area is beautiful.

There's some good hiking on and around Phillip Island.
Old Apr 10th, 2024, 01:41 AM

Whilst it isn't on your itinerary this time, it sounds like you would really love Tasmania. Lush all year round - full of natural beauty. Perhaps another time!
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 04:44 AM

Here are some suggestions for 1-3 day trips from Melbourne that you might enjoy in May/June 2025:

Great Ocean Road: This is a classic Australian road trip for a reason! The Great Ocean Road is a 243-kilometer stretch of coastline along the Southern Ocean, offering stunning views, dramatic rock formations like the Twelve Apostles, charming seaside towns like Apollo Bay and Lorne, and plenty of opportunities to spot wildlife like koalas and penguins. While you've been to the 12 Apostles before, the entire Great Ocean Road offers a variety of landscapes that you might enjoy. You can easily do this as a 2-3 day trip, depending on how much time you want to spend exploring the different stops along the way.

Grampians National Park: Located northwest of Melbourne, the Grampians National Park is known for its rugged sandstone mountains, waterfalls, wildflowers (in spring and autumn), and Aboriginal rock art sites. You can go hiking, biking, rock climbing, or just enjoy the scenic views. The Grampians are a great option for a 2-3 day trip.

Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges: You've already been to Yarra Valley, but if you enjoyed the wineries, you might consider staying a night or two in the Yarra Valley and exploring more wineries. The Dandenong Ranges, which are adjacent to Yarra Valley, offer beautiful rainforests, waterfalls, and charming villages like Olinda and Sassafras. You can visit the Yarra Valley Winery and enjoy wine tasting and lunch, then head up into the Dandenong Ranges for a scenic drive or a hike through the Sherbrooke Forest . This can be done as a day trip from Melbourne or a 1-night stay.

Mornington Peninsula: Located south of Melbourne, the Mornington Peninsula is known for its beaches, wineries, hot springs, and national parks. You can go swimming, surfing, hiking, or visit the Moonlit Sanctuary Wildlife Conservation Park . This is another option that can be done as a day trip from Melbourne or a 1-night stay.
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestion with details

I have always been a fan of GOR in Australia and Highway 1 in California USA driving along the sea/coast, but not sure WHY but my drive to MARYSVILLE was something extra ordinary. This drive took me to the EUROPE kind of beauty driving. So, is there a similar experience i can have at some other "1/2/3 day trips" or maybe i'll drive to MarysVille again - lol

Thanks again
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 01:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have a look at Wilson's Promontory. Beautiful scenery, great walks, wildlife. We stayed a few times in a cottage at Yanakie. It's still a fair drive south, down to Tidal River, but getting accommodation at the Prom can be hard. Very popular. The other place, already suggested too, is the Grampians. Stay in Halls Gap, there are other small towns but that's the most convenient. Also check out Hanging Rock, stay in Woodend or Macedon.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 03:49 PM

The Dandenong Ranges could suit you. Small towns dotted around, a botanic garden in Olinda and a native garden in Kallista (I think it's Kallista). Plenty of places for a walk and nice cafes and restaurants for a meal.

Old Apr 15th, 2024, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Healesville Sanctuary has Australian wildlife. Their website shows what time they feed certain animals, like koalas, so you can see them up close. If any kids with you, they might like Puffing Billy, a vintage steam train run by volunteers. It's been running a very long time.
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 11:43 PM

Hello asimm... can I ask when you last visited Marysville? (i,e., what year?).
Agree with others who have suggested the Dandenongs and quaint towns in area including Olinda and Sassafras,
Old Apr 16th, 2024, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deassube
Hello asimm... can I ask when you last visited Marysville? (i,e., what year?).
Agree with others who have suggested the Dandenongs and quaint towns in area including Olinda and Sassafras,

JULY 2022, we drove from Melbourne and stayed there for 02 nights. It is not only me who was mesmerized with the beauty (including the road trip), rather the whole family. On the way visited Cement Creek Redwood forest. It was a wonderful drive and place to visit
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 06:48 AM

Visited the Grampians in November during a one month stay in Australia. Our second visit to the area. Love it! Great scenery and wildlife. And a selection of walks of varying difficulty. We did the moderate Pinnacles and Boronia Peak hikes as well as the easy walk to the Balconies. Great views!
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 08:27 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
So good to see you here RalphR! Seems like forever since I've seen you post.