Search

Russian Holiday in May 2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2024, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Russian Holiday in May 2024

Dear Friends,

We are a family, planning to visit Russia in May 2024. Would it be safe to visit considering the Ukraine Russia War etc... While we are keen, it is just these concerns that are there in mind....

Thank you...
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 11:08 PM

I would be a bit afraid to do this trip right now. When Sweden joined NATO (just now), Putin talked about advancing troops to the Finnish border. There was also talk on our TV news of Putin mentioning nuclear weaponry. Obviously we all have our news sources and they all have their slants (or outright propaganda, in either direction). But I would think generally this is not a good time. When is a good time ... I don't know. I had an (Australian, Russian-speaking) student who went to Russia from Germany last year and he clearly came through unscathed, but I personally would not feel safe.

Lavandula
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 11:22 PM
mjs

What is your nationality?
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 11:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not sure that journeying on holiday to a country warmongering and maximising internal political controls to supress protest is such a good idea.
Since the government has shown that St Petersburg is open to drone attack I'm certain that visiting there would be a very bad decision.
Since the government has also failed to protect Moscow (though to a lesser extent) I'd be cautious on visiting there.

I've taken holidays and carried out work in some pretty dodgy countries around the world. These include Syrian, Libya (both "voting" dictatorships) and I would not have gone to those two if they were at this state of hightened violence.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know where you're from but in our country, if we travel somewhere that the government deems a "do not travel" country, then any travel insurance is void. Something to be aware of.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you All for your kind inputs. We are from India and will drop this for now from our plan. Thank you again