Search

Rome and Tuscany trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2024, 11:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome and Tuscany trip

Hi everyone,

I'm currently planning my next trip and could use your input. I'm considering traveling to Rome and Tuscany and have two options: the last week in May 2025 around Memorial Day or the first week of September 2025 around Labor Day.

I'm curious to know your thoughts on the best time in terms of airfare prices and avoiding crowds. Any insights or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 01:18 AM

Personally I prefer May, we were in Florence and Tuscany mid May a few years back and it was beautiful. Spring flowers out in the countryside, lush green rolling hills, it was a sight to behold. The weather too was perfect, neither too hot nor cold, at times you needed a light jacket in the evenings.

I haven’t been during Labor Day, so can’t comment, but two years back we were in Paris the first week of September with temperatures in the high eighties. We went on to Bruges and Amsterdam and it was the same there too.

Weather patterns are changing everywhere, so it’s hard to predict what to expect. There’s another current thread you might want to check, May or September in Italy. IMO airfares are cheaper in spring, but again there’s no hard rule.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 02:24 AM

Last week of May runs into the June 2nd long weekend.

Personally I'd say May but you aren't avoiding crowds with either date.

Old Mar 14th, 2024, 07:13 AM

You would need to play around with the flight schedules to see what works best. Your May dates are coming up quick, so I'd check against both just to see.

May and September are both high season in Italy. I have been to Rome and Venice around that time in September - extremely crowded. I have to defer to other fodorites regarding May.

Either way, prebook your attractions at major sites depending on your interest (Vatican Museum, Colesseum and Ancient Rome, Florence museums) - there will be lines at both times of year.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 09:45 AM

The OP has plenty of time. Her trip is in 2025.
I love Spring in Italy, but would go anytime. If flights were a lot less in Fall, that might affect my decision. Since your trip is a year away, I would pin down the itinerary before booking flights. So far ahead, you might change your mind about exactly where you are going and that could affect flights.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
The OP has plenty of time. Her trip is in 2025.
I love Spring in Italy, but would go anytime. If flights were a lot less in Fall, that might affect my decision. Since your trip is a year away, I would pin down the itinerary before booking flights. So far ahead, you might change your mind about exactly where you are going and that could affect flights.
Oh. My apologies. I am on board of the TARDIS and writing you all from March 2025... Great way to travel, btw.

Seriously, though, read too quickly. Thanks for calling it out, Sass.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 01:11 PM

There is an almost identical topic active at the moment. I suggest you have a look:

May or September for Italy Travel?
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 09:06 AM

You might get cheaper flights in Sept as supply for flights starts to increase throughout this year