AAdvantage award change, FJ refund rules

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2024, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I drop the first leg of a one-way AAdvantage award ticket flying on Fiji Airways MEL-NAN-LAX? I just want to use the NAN-LAX and I know that I can't be a no-show for the first leg. Would I have to cancel the entire ticket and book a new ticket just for NAN-LAX? Or can AA just make the first segment on my existing ticket just go away without charging me more miles

It was only 60K miles in business class on FJ for MEL-NAN-LAX on Nov 11., Today, there are no biz class seats available for NAN-LAX for the whole month of November.

The only reason I am asking is because of what AA offered to do on another award ticket. That was LAX-HKG-BKK but the second leg on RJ got cancelled. The agent said that I could keep the CX flight to HKG and then add a destination to it later, like BKK or HKT or NRT at no additional miles.

That was a different situation, a carrier-cancelled second flight, but it gives me hope that AA can/will do what I want with this FJ award ticket.

(no energy right now to go into the "Fiji refund rules" issue mentioned in the thread title, so maybe later)

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Mar 13th, 2024 at 07:08 PM.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 09:13 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the best thing to do is simply phone AA. They'll have to cancel the MEL-NAN-LAX PNR and create a new one, and if there are no business class seats available on NAN-LAX then you might be out of luck. But us guessing is of no use; AA will have the final word.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, Gardyloo. The lack of availability on my date probably means I would be SOL. I will ask.

Got ticketed today for NRT-NAN-MEL for 40k miles. Already have AAward for LAX-KIX-HND for 60K. So it is only 160K mildes for the whole trip in business class. Not the ideal flights and I will keep looking for JAL nonstop award availability, but I like the price.
Old Mar 17th, 2024, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

AA said no to dropping the first leg of the trip.

FJ offers a refundable fare of $1864 for NRT-MEL-NAN with a stopover in Melbourne that would have worked perfectly. The first flight NRT-MEL nonstop would cost $3774 or $4293 if purchased from QF.

The FJ fare rules seem to allow me to cancel or no-show the MEL-NAN flight and pay $150 or $878. Still a good deal in either case.

I play by the rules and would not do hidden city ticketing if it was prohibited by the airline CoC. I woiuld not do it even if I knew that I could get away with it. The United CoC specifically prohibits it.

The FJ CoC doesn't address hidden city ticketing and the fare fules seem to allow me to do it. So, I considered buying the ticket and following the rules and the contract and thus not be nagged at the thought of ripping off QF.

I read the FJ CoC again and saw that it said that the QF CoC apply. The QF Conditions of Carraige say that I would have to pay the full fare for the NRT-MEL flight if I didn't take the MEL-NAN flight. That settles it.