Bali driver, but can I get a driver / guide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2024, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are at the early stages of planning to re-visit Bali after many years and we remember back then we were hassled whenever we stopped at a popular site. Reading recent blogs it seems to have got much worse. In India we found if we had a guide with us he dealt with the touts and beggars. We would prefer to get a car and driver to go where we want at the speed we prefer, but I guess drivers just take you from A to B and then stay in the car. Self drive car hire seems to be around US$32 per day. With an English speaking driver it is about US$50, but the cost seems to really shoot up if you want a guide as that is now two people and the guides want a lot more money. Any suggestions where we could find an English speaking driver/guide at a sensible price?
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 11:36 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it depends on the driver, their fluency & enthusiasm. It never occurred to me to ask for a guide as I enjoy wandering on my own but the woman from whom I rented a house also recommended a driver who acted as a defacto guide, not so much walking with me all the time but making good suggestions about where to stop along the way, perfect for me. I suggest you talk with your accommodation provider & ask if they know a driver who does a bit more for you than just drive. Mine was a personable guy & I very much enjoyed his company as well as his service.

Old Mar 10th, 2024, 11:57 AM
kja

I can happily and highly recommend Amik, the English speaking driver with whom I worked in Bali. I wanted a driver, NOT a guide; I don't know if he would be able or willing to serve as a guide. Send me a PM if you would like information about how to contact him.

FWIW, I was not hassled anywhere in Bali, unless you count one rather persistent woman at Besakih; she stopped after a few polite, "no thank you"s.

The section of my trip report on Bali starts with post 128.
A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Did you have a lot of hassle at popular temples and sights? I remember last time we were besieged by hordes of begging children whenever we stopped; and we have seen several recent posts saying that as soon as you stop you are surrounded by touts wanting to guide you, take you to their shop, or whatever. Like you, we just want to quietly wander around sites on our own, and if we want to buy something we will approach the trader.
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 02:09 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't go to popular temples & sights so not an issue. I've always stayed in Penestanen, outside Ubud & a nice walk into town. The driver I mentioned took me places out in the countryside & stopped at villages, interesting farms & a beach once for a couple of days where I was usually the only person there. If you prefer the hot spots then it'll usually be a problem one way or another but easy enough to avoid.

Old Mar 10th, 2024, 05:32 PM

Sorry, I do not mean to be rude, but you do know that you are in an Asian country where the wealth disparity is extreme.
Those that are touting are doing so to earn an income because unlike us in the west they do not get social service benefits.

There will be those touting whereever there are tourists. Just be polite and say 'no thank you' and they will leave you alone.

For drivers, you should organise through your hotel. it is the easiest option.
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 08:06 PM
kja

@ millie2112: +1!
Thank you very much for your eloquent and powerful statement.
Honestly, I've always found that a smile and courteous "no, thank you" goes a long way.

As "millie" suggests: what should we expect them to do? If I were in their shoes, I'm sure I'd be out there asking for takers. At least many offer a service in exchange.

I repeat my recommendation of Amik's services. I so valued his attentions, and his kind and gentle ways, that I'm still in touch with him after six or seven years. I'm sure you can understand that I'm not willing to post his contact information on a public forum, but will happily provide it in a personal message (PM).
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone and thanks to KJA for offering me the link to her driver. Hopefully my PM to her will work.
Yes - I am aware of Asian culture, having worked in 5 Asian countries and holidayed in every country in the region since starting to travel for work in1973. Bali was truly wonderful when I first visited in 1976 - completely unspoilt. I was really lucky having been to Ujung Pandang for work (what a lovely name, although now called Malacca) , I found my plane was stopping at Bali on the way to Jakarta. I asked and was told "Of course you can stop over in Bali for the weekend and fly on early Monday morning", so I had lovely weekend there.
I remember in Ujung Pandang the children would rub my arm when I walked down the street, as white skin was a such a novelty to them.
Ten years later I went back to Bali with my wife and we did find children begging a real hassle. The only other country where I experienced this was India. Places like Laos and Cambodia are even poorer, but we were never bothered there.
I agree that a smile and a polite "No thank you" costs you nothing, but it can get oppressive if begging and pushing of wares carries on even after you have clearly shown you are not interested.
We are now planning to go back to Indonesia with a car and guide to visit very rural parts of Sulawesi and Flores (too difficult for us to do on our own) and to finally see the Komodo dragons, as we remember the original 1956 (!) David Attenborough Zoo quest and have always wanted to see these magnificent creatures. We then want to relax and do some sightseeing in Bali - particularly temples, craft workshops and some dance performances - before the long flight back to England, but we are still trying to work out whether we use taxis, self drive, a car and driver, or try to get a driver / guide for one or two days out of our week?
We thought it might be easier to visit the basket graves on Lake Batur with a guide to have someone negotiate for a boat and local guide; and we wondered how to choose which stone, or wood carving workshop to visit without a guide?
We have only just joined this site, but both the comments and trip reports are proving interesting and helpful.