Lyon, France to London, UK -

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2024, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Friends. I am planning a trip to Lyon, France. I will be traveling from Los Angeles to London and immediately catching a flight from London to Lyon. I will be returning to London to spend some additional time before flying back to Los Angeles. I’ve purchased my flight from London to Lyon via British Air. The problem that I’m having is the return from Lyon to London. Most of the flights are either long journeys because of layovers, or there is not enough layover time to get through customs for the next flight to London. Also, some flights have me arriving in London pretty late in the evening. I note that Kayak lists trains that go from Lyon to Paris and then another train from Paris to London. Has anyone done this before? Maybe I should just accept that the best flight I can get that will at least get me into London regardless if it is late in the evening. My departure from Lyon to London is April 16, 2024. I was trying to find a mid-day to mid-afternoon flight. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks to all for reading this, especially those who respond.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 12:11 PM

Have you checked with BA if they allow free stopovers?
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 12:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"The problem that I’m having is the return from Lyon to London. Most of the flights are either long journeys because of layovers, or there is not enough layover time to get through customs for the next flight to London."

I don't understand this part. I read your OP to mean that after visiting Lyon you are flying Lyon to London one way and spending some time in London before catching your flight to LAX - Right? If so - wouldn't it be a non-stop Lyon > London and no layover??
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 01:39 PM

Try Travelocity to research your flight. I’m seeing some early evening non-stop flights.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 11:42 PM

Take the train. Google "Lyon to London by train" and you will receive the full schedule. If you are uncomfortable using the metro or RER in Paris, take a taxi from the gare de Lyon to the gare du Nord.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 05:43 AM

Sounds like you have never taken a train before. Michael told you how to do that. However there are plenty of nonstop flight options so I don't understand what you say. Easyjet has one in the morning about 9.40 am and one at 7 pm. BA has two and they are evening but one is only about 6 pm. I'd do train or the morning Easyjet. I like that airline a lot.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 08:46 AM

I honestly really don't see the point in flying. London and Lyon are very close, with excellent train links- it's a 2h15 eurostar, and a further 1h55 train to Lyon, compared to a 1h40 flight. While this seems much faster, in reality plane travel creates many complications (i.e baggage reclaim, security). This normally adds about 1.5h-2h to a plane trip, so times would normally be 3h50 for a plane journey, and 4h10.

Last edited by Moderator1; Mar 4th, 2024 at 10:30 AM. Reason: removed proselytizing
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by TravellingTofu
I honestly really don't see the point in flying. London and Lyon are very close, with excellent train links- it's a 2h15 eurostar, and a further 1h55 train to Lyon, compared to a 1h40 flight. While this seems much faster, in reality plane travel creates many complications (i.e baggage reclaim, security). This normally adds about 1.5h-2h to a plane trip, so times would normally be 3h50 for a plane journey, and 4h10.
Add to that land travel to and from the airports.

Last edited by Moderator1; Mar 4th, 2024 at 10:31 AM. Reason: deleted quote of a deleted comment