Bruges vs Brussels vs Antwerp

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2024, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to take a trip to Europe this summer to London, France, and Belgium. Trying to decide between Bruges, Brussels, or Antwerp for a short 2-day trip. Any advice on which one of these cities is best for a short trip?
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 11:52 AM

They are all worthy destinations in their own right but in my mind Bruges is ideal for a two-day trip as it is very compact, easy to walk around and see the sites, plus nice restaurants, great chocolate shops but there would be great chocolate shops and restaurants in any of these destinations.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 06:08 PM

This is the perennial question with Belgium - I can describe them so you can choose for yourself.

Bruges is an extremely well-preserved medieval city, with canals running through it, white swans and beauty in spades. But it is extremely popular with tourists (so pick Mon/Tues /Wed rather than a weekend day, and visit in the off season). I have heard every reaction under the sun about Bruges, from an almost religious experience, to the criticisms that it is Disneyfied or dead behind the eyes (due to the fact that the entire centre depends heavily on tourism and it has driven out locals, much like Venice). I like Bruges a lot but you can't deny the tourism there, which is a bit less daunting if you stay overnight, and maybe if you are prepared for this it won't daunt you. Many people who like the idea of Bruges also like Ghent, which is also medieval, but has more of a living city feel about it. It's a university town, perhaps not as magical as Bruges but appeals to some people more.

Antwerp probably gets fewer tourists, but it is a big city, with a beautiful Art Nouveau train station (the 'railway cathedral'), amazing architecture (Antwerpen-Berchem has areas like Cogels-Osylei which are full of Art Nouveau mansions), a thriving nightlife and good shopping (I am a shopper, I notice these things). I don't have many bad things to say about Antwerp, but I suppose it is less of a drawcard than Bruges or Ghent. People seem to see it on the way to somewhere else and consequently probably don't give it its due. It does have a nice vibe and also has the diamond district (literally where diamonds are sold). There are also a few good museums, including the KMSKA.

Brussels is polarising. I am a bit biased - I like Brussels a lot, have lived there myself and plan to retire there part time, so I am one of the people who likes it, but people sometimes don't like it. It is a big city (big for Belgium, not compared to a Paris or a London), the home also of the European institutions, with a splendid main square (the Grand' Place), really great museums like the Musical Instruments Museum or the Horta Museum, and some quirky things like the Atomium, the Manneken Pis (a tiny statue of a small peeing boy, which for some reason is a cult figure), and a strong Smurf presence in the city. But to understand Brussels properly you need to focus on the food and drink - I have heard it described as a 'lifestyle city', so if you did not want to spend at least some time in a café and experience the beer culture there, or the food culture (ranging from good restaurants with Belgian fare to waffles, mussels, frites and chocolate) for instance, I would think it would appeal to you less. There are also some areas with largely non-violent crime, being a big city, but no-one is put off by this in Paris, which is much the same, and if you are in the tourist areas it is nice there and not really an issue, although I would be remiss if I did not mention it. It also has a significant expat population so there is plenty of English spoken, even though the city also speaks French and Flemish (Dutch). I think it would be ideal for a three-day weekend.

So I won't give you a recommendation, but at least this warts-and-all discussion will give you some insight and you can make up your mind for yourself.

Lavandula
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 06:40 PM

I should have added in my initial post that our visit to Bruges was in late October, not during the very busy summer tourist season. We drove from Amsterdam and stopped in Antwerp on the way to visit the cathedral, one of the great cathedrals of Europe and it was impressive along with the medieval architecture of the old square in front of the cathedral and the contemporary square at the rear of the cathedral which references the historic square in the front of the cathedral. It has been so many years since I was in Brussels and at the time in addition to seeing the Grand Place which I recall was amazing, my recollection was that Brussels, because of the NATO headquarters was quite a sophisticated city.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 04:35 PM

I agree with Brugges.
Old Mar 12th, 2024, 07:12 PM

I spent 3 nights in Antwerp; 2 nights in Brussels with a day trip to Ghent. Antwerp had some good museums like the Rubens house and the Sneyers-Rockox house, and possibly another art museum that wasn't open where i was there, and the museum Plantin-Moretus with antique hand-operated printing presses and early printed books. I am a librarian, I needed to see this (for my own edification, its not like my boss would care). Brussels may have a palace and museums that I wish I had made time for. In Brussels I only saw the art museum. I didn't make time for Brugges. Antwerp has a compact appealing old town like a lot of towns in Europe. Brussels is a big city with bad and less bad neighborhoods and some good stuff scattered in. Just make a list of museums in each of the two cities and pick one in just one city and thats the city you are going to. Or just put off Belgium until you can give the country 6 to 9 days.
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 02:32 AM

Lavandula: Your post should be included in then Fodor's guidebook! So well-written and really gives a picture of 've been each of the three cities.

I've been only to Bruges and to Brussels and while both were beautiful, I'm not sure I'll return to either one. Although I've read about an African Museum in Brussels which sounds fascinating and which I missed on my long-ago visit to Belgium.

Would you say that Antwerp has anything in common with Rotterdam, besides both of them being thriving seaports?? (I've heard that Rotterdam also has great cutting edge shopping (???). But maybe no cutting edges of diamonds! (sorry....!)
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 07:46 AM

Both cities have a large port, and both have some interesting modern architecture, but Antwerp's old center has survived the 2nd world war better than Rotterdam which was devastated by German bombs in the beginning of the war. As a result, most of Rotterdam is very modern now. Antwerp has the edge when you are interested in fashion.
I am not a fan of Brussel, though parts are pleasant and there are some good museums. Brugge is very pretty but also small and overrun with tourists. The OP does not ask about Gent, but Gent is really beautiful, a proper city, lots of students, beautiful buildings and canals and lots to do and see. The Gravensteen castle is impressive.
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 12:29 PM

Yes, the Museum of Central Africa is in Tervuren, on the outskirts of Brussels. To get there you have to take the 44 tram from Montgomery, which is well-known as the city's prettiest tram ride. There is also a big park there. It's well worth the ride out there - a nice Sunday afternoon, for instance.

Agree with Tulips about Ghent - most people are tossing up between Bruges and Ghent (because of the size, the location, the medieval aspects). Ghent is no Bruges - Bruges is unique - but Ghent is alive with activity and with its medieval heart has many of the aspects that make Bruges a very interesting prospect. It is beautiful in its own right.

Lavandula
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 03:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
This thread has been very informative! DH and I will be in Belgium for 12 nights, getting there May 27. We’re flying into Brussels but will immediately take the train to Antwerp, from there to Ghent, then to Bruges and back to Brussels. We plan on three nights in each place. I was in Brussels in 1970, my first trip to Europe on a tour with my parents, and again in 1980 for a day. DH has never been to Belgium but it will be like a first time for me as well as I remember very little. I already have my hotel reservations but all are refundable. Hopefully three nights in each is a good plan and enough time for what essentially is a first visit.
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 09:10 PM

Oh, glad that you are dividing your time like that! They are all good destinations, you can't go wrong with that plan

Lavandula