Evolution of the Cabo resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2024, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completing our most recent visit to del Palmar in Cabo this week, rather cool and sometimes cloudy. My partner has hosted me over 15 years and it is quite enjoyable, but at our age and the way things have changed I'm afraid this our last visit here. Most maddening is the daily chair scrum. As I look out my balcony at 6:30 am people are already at the pool "reserving" their chair with a towel, then leaving for several hours. There are insufficient chairs, large numbers of rude and inconsiderate people and absolutely no help or enforcement by the staff. After you get burned the first day having no chair you are forced to join the unruly crowd and going down at 7am, freezing, to stake your claim and sit huddled up or be rude and inconsiderate and leave for three hours and stumble back to your prized chair. Yesterday one contingent came out and snapped up 16 chairs...and left.

So there is constant conflict in the air...mad people wandering with towels seeing hundreds of "reserved" chairs with no one around for hours...then add loud music...who plays Macarena anymore?...large pasty folks overdoing the inclusive booze...bad manners, rudeness, loud...just evolved into a nasty, unenjoyable experience. Add that the restaurants and especially Neptune have declined in quality with steep price increases... I know that flying and travel has become democratized, but things now resemble a Greyhound bus and a bus station more than a respectable Cabo experience.

I know this sounds get off-my-lawn, but will be our last time here...we will move to the attached Arco, if we return. A bit more civilized. If you come to Cabo to relax around the pool and get away from it all, I'm afraid Palmar is no longer where you want to be.
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Same at the Pueblo Bonito properties. Though I think this year they are enforcing the saving chairs policy and staff will remove towels etc. if asked. Friends stay at Arco and really like it. . We never do all inclusive as there are such great restaurants in town.
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 09:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
who plays Macarena anymore?

LOL - Well stating the obvious, Mexican all-inclusive resorts in Cabo San Lucas! Heck they were playing Y.M.C.A. at beach bars in PV recently.

There are so many different kinds of places to stay. You don't have to stick with that type of a resort experience that is not making you happy. I vacation quite often (Puerto Vallarta) and find lots of nice condos for rent with no music at the pool, no towel games, etc.
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Hello friends...we typically go to Walmart and stock up but did enjoy Neptune for one evening for a nice meal, but no longer a good value or quality. Yes so many other nice places to eat. Cabo is safe and enjoyable....just getting old I guess!
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 05:10 PM

It's not about your age, but if you don't enjoy the atmosphere at a specific resort, why not branch out and try other places to stay, instead of ditching Cabo entirely?
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Oh no we'll be back...we will just shift to the attached resort which is quieter and for our more maturing bones....
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 08:26 AM

will be our last time here...we will move to the attached Arco, if we return

Sorry I mis-read. I thought you were considering not returning
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

We really do enjoy a winter visit there. 👍🎵
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 01:14 PM

I understood very clearly that you said that you would move to the adjacent resort instead.

With cruises to Cabo readily available from my home port I've been several times off the ship (lost count how many, actually). I enjoy a walk around, as well as the various excursions out past the point and whale watching in season. But the climate is too similar to Southern California to justify an extended stay.

The other port that I rather like which is popular with Canadians (and warmer) with gorgeous beaches as a lower-cost alternative is Mazatlan.