Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Road Trip from Raleigh, NC to Kansas City, MO - What should I see and Eat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2024, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's pretty specific, but I'll be driving from Raleigh NC to Kansas City next month and am looking to plan my driving route to maximize sightseeing. I'm hoping for some recommended places to visit along the way. I enjoy seeing small towns and eating good local food. I've not visited the area before. I am thinking of taking around 1 week (5-7 days) for my journey, so plenty of time to see the sights in between these cities.

I appreciate any suggestions & recommendations.

Old Feb 12th, 2024, 08:15 PM

In St Louis, take in a show at the gorgeous Fox Theater, go up in the Arch, tour the St Louis Cathedral and have a look at the beautiful old Eads Bridge.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 02:57 AM

Have Nashville hot chicken.
In Kentucky see the International Horse Museum.
It may require a small detour but see Pleasant Hill, a restored Quaker community in Kentucky.
Paducah has an historic district
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 06:41 AM

90 minutes west of St. Louis is Hermann, Missouri which is a wonderful town with 1830s brick buildings built by Germans. There are two downtowns! There are several bed and breakfasts plus a winery on a hill north of the river. Along the north side bank of the river lies the famous 238-mile Katy Trail. Rent bikes and have a blast on this scenic trail. The residents celebrate their German heritage with festivals such as Maifest and Oktoberfest. Eat German food at one of the many restaurants.

Last edited by PrairieHikerI; Feb 13th, 2024 at 07:10 AM.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 06:44 AM

Bardstown, Kent. was declared The Most Beautiful Small Town in America by Rand McNally and USA Today. Settled in 1780, Bardstown is Kentucky’s second-oldest city and has almost 200 historic buildings on the National Register of Historic Places. It has a lively downtown with unique shops and restaurants. Sights to see include the Barton 1792 distillery, Old Bardstown Village Civil War museum, 1826 Spalding Hall, My Old Kentucky Home State Park and the 1848 Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani which is the oldest monastary in the US and open to the public. Also, nearby is the famous Bernheim Arboretum which features 16,000 acres of wildlife sanctuary, a landscaped arboretum, canopy tree walk, scent and sound mazes, and new trails and walkways. Located 35 minutes southeast of Louisville.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 06:48 AM

Just 40 minutes west of Kansas City is Lawrence, KS which is a quirky university city with a lively downtown featuring boutique shops, good restaurants and coffeehouses. In fact, Mass St. is the most popular destination in the the state. It has been ranked as one of the top 100 small town arts communities and rated as one of the quirkiest towns in America. Spencer Art Museum is one of the top university art museums in the country. The Natural History Museum on the University of Kansas campus is the third most popular destination in the state.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 08:30 AM

In Kansas City eat at Joes BBQ
Old Feb 18th, 2024, 05:20 AM

If you wind up going to Bardstown, KY, as suggested above by PrairieHikerI , then go see the nearby Shaker village of Pleasant Hill. Also, travel onto Mammoth Cave National Park. You can spend a lot of time there!

If you are interested in combining nature/hiking/ with historic tiny hamlets, then also consider the combination of the Big South Fork and Rugby, TN. The Big South Fork National Recreation Area has a stupendous ladder trail that is not very long or very difficult, but is dramatic.

Also consider The Cumberland Gap. There is a historic farm site that is worth hiking up to, and the nearby town of Harrogate, TN, the home of Lincoln Memorial University, dedicated to the 16th president. There is a quaint Lincoln Museum there.