Search

Safety in Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2024, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in Turkey

Hello,
We are thinking of going to Istanbul for 10 days over Easter, but in light of the recent incident in the news yesterday of a person/ persons being shot outside the courthouse, we ask if this is a rare incident or should I rather avoid travelling to Istanbul in the meantime?
Thanks for any help
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 05:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd not let it worry you. Istanbul is way safer than many US cities. There are political issues in Turkey and it is election year in Turkey. But even so.
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 05:21 AM

I visited Istanbul last year. Regarding safety, I only advise you not to go to Taksim in the evening, it's not pleasant, there are a lot of drunk people, violent... I had an unpleasant experience.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks

Thank you Bilbo, it's just concerning if one is cornered when there is one of these incidents, thats my problem.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sliterin, I'll watch out for Taksim in the evening, where is it?
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 05:05 AM

I absolutely understand. I felt the same when I went to Libya, Syria etc. My view now is, people are people, muggers are muggers and riots are riots. I've been in Morocco when there was a riot and a nice guy, going off to fight turned to me in the street and said, "you are Christian, we don't have any problem with you, don't go down this street". In Tunisia a policeman advised me to move away from a raid. Generally locals know who tourists are and recognise that they need to be moved away.

Turkey, despite or perhaps because of having so many Russians hiding there is a very welcoming country. Turkey is a secular country who wants your dollars.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 06:58 AM

You're more likely to be pickpocketed in Istanbul than you are to be blown up. Use the same precautions you would use anywhere as a tourist. If you see a crowd gathering, a protest or riot, don't hang around to find out what is happening. Good advice to avoid Taksim at night. Other than that, Istanbul is a very busy but interesting city. Go and enjoy!

Bilbo, I believe you were thinking of visiting Georgia. Did that ever happen?
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by natylou
You're more likely to be pickpocketed in Istanbul than you are to be blown up. Use the same precautions you would use anywhere as a tourist. If you see a crowd gathering, a protest or riot, don't hang around to find out what is happening. Good advice to avoid Taksim at night. Other than that, Istanbul is a very busy but interesting city. Go and enjoy!

Bilbo, I believe you were thinking of visiting Georgia. Did that ever happen?
No, I was looking for general cycling-friendly routes and basically found that there are cycle-friendly zones but the rest of the place is less than friendly about cycles.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:14 AM

Oh too bad about that. Georgia looks very interesting, and seems to be a hot spot for young people these days with its year long tourist visa. Lots on Youtube but not much info is available about the country otherwise.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by natylou
Oh too bad about that. Georgia looks very interesting, and seems to be a hot spot for young people these days with its year long tourist visa. Lots on Youtube but not much info is available about the country otherwise.
Another place hosting Russians fleeing the draft. The vinyards interest me.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, so we are going - But is Turkish Airlines safe - and does one always find oneself on whizzair?
Turkish Airlines is half the price of British Airways
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 11:15 PM

Turkish Airlines is great. At least last year they even fed us on a short flight. It’s amazing how fast they can get a plane loaded and ready to go.
Don’t know about whizzair.