Search

12 day itinerary - Poland, Prague, Salzburg, Munich...Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2024, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 day itinerary - Poland, Prague, Salzburg, Munich...Ideas

Dear Community,

We are a Couple with a Toddler on a Stroller and planning a 12 day holiday in Europe and our Tentative plan is as below...

Day 1 to 5 - Arrive in Warsaw...see Warsaw and Krakow including a Day Trip to Aushwitz

Day 6 to 7 - Prague

Day 8 to 10 - Salzburg (we have seen Vienna)

Day 10 and 11 - Munich (Basically Neuschwanstein Castle and nearby)

Day 12 - Fly back...

Im aware the plan looks too ambitious...We are ok to skip Krakow and reduce the poland plan by a day and add it somewhere else...

Please note, the start point and end destination have been chosen keeping in mind cheaper flights to and from India.

Request help on the plan please

Thanks,
Myraa
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 08:10 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not terribly rushed IMO if you were two adults -- but having a toddler along does complicate things/slows things down. You really do not have 12 useful days. Day 1 is arrival/immigration formalities/checking in/jet lag -- so not reall a touring day. Day 12 is entirely used up traveling home.

"Day 8 to 10 - Salzburg (we have seen Vienna)
Day 10 and 11 - Munich (Basically Neuschwanstein Castle and nearby)" . . . is really day 8-9 in Salzburg and days 10-11 in Munich.

If it was me (and it isn't ) depending on which is more important to you I'd drop either Prague or Salzburg and split the two added days between the remaining city and Munich.

ps: How old is the toddler? If very young them IMO/IME visiting Aushwitz would be OK since s/he would probably sleep through it in the stroller. But if say 3 or 4 years olds I personally would NOT take them there.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 10:24 AM

One observation I have is that you have not really figured in travel and transit. For example, you state: "Day 6 to 7 - Prague." When are you planning on traveling to Prague? On Day 6 or are you leaving on Day 5 from Warsaw?

Itineraries are best if they are done via nights rather than days. For example, 3 nights in a location will give you 2 full days of sightseeing. You need to figure on time in transit and checking in/out for lodging in your plans as well.

So, if you are leaving on Day 6 for Prague and staying 2 nights, you really only have one full day for sightseeing. And imho, Prague needs more time.

And I agree with Janis, unless your toddler will be sleeping (and can you even plan for that) I'd skip Auschwitz this time. It is a somber site and basically a living memorial and something to keep in mind.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 09:18 PM

It's not ok to bring children to Auschwitz.

Both Krakow and Prague are two of my favorite cities in Europe. I would prioritize them over Munich, easily.
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 01:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trains and how to use them in Europe https://www.seat61.com/
how to plan getting about rome2rio (note data is not always perfect)
bahn.de for detailed planning (data is perfect)
I'd not take a child into Auschwitz
https://www.auschwitz.org/en/visitin...c-information/
note that over 230,000 children died in this place, this is not place for icecream or fun, this is a place for silence
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Dear Community,
Thank you for your inputs and suggestions...They are definitely helpful.

I have noted the inputs on visit to Auschwitz and while we are keen to visit, as we realize the importance of the place, will see how to do so without our child. (Maybe we will not do it together).
We also have noted your suggestions and on we feel the trip will be too hurried with the Toddler...Hence we now thinking of doing Denmark & Poland. We also read that Wroclaw is beautiful and needs a visit...
Hence we propose to do Denmark (Copenhagen and nearby - 4 days, Poland - 5 days, Prague - 3 days, 2 days keep for internal Travel = 14 days....
Thanks...
Old Feb 7th, 2024, 08:57 PM

I very much love all those places - Copenhagen, Prague, and Krakow. Near Krakow you should visit the Wieliczka Salt Mine, and also there is a string of "Eagles Nest" Castles (in ruins) that run north to Czestochowa where there is a magnificent abbey. Though if you want to do all that it would be best to either rent a car or arrange with a travel agency for a car and driver.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 01:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wroclaw is not bad but I'd struggle to say it is very beautiful but maybe. So many cities suffered under communism.
Warsaw is not especially lovely, it was flattened and even the old bits are rebuilds.

Gdansk is lovely, especially now they have cleaned the central square
Malbork is nice
Poznan I like
Krakow, now they have upgraded the steel works is a good visit
Zamosc, I've not been but I hear good things
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 09:40 AM

Krakow is one of my favorite places in Europe. From there I spent 3 weeks in Malopolska, the area from Krakow to the south and east. The wooden architecture is a delight, and the dedication to traditions, from smoking cheese to lace making, bee keeping, horse breeding, and decorative painting is serious. Imposing mountains make this an all around wonderful area to visit. The history, from a Swedish king to the rise of Naziism is fascinating, filled with both wonder and darkness. Tarnow is especially sad and moving. And if you know about the Seinfeld episode about Poland being a 'pony country' well.... it's true.

http://www.drewniana.malopolska.pl/?l=en

Last edited by shelemm; Feb 9th, 2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

So Dear Friends, as we fine tune our trip we have also dropped Poland and now are focusing on Prague, Salzburg, Munich. I have a few concerns and questions on Salzburg.

We had planned 4 days in salzburg which includes 2 days in salzburg and 1 Day trip to Hallstatt and 1 Day Trip to Innsbruck.

Now the thing is that we are finding Hotels in Salzburg expensive maybe because of high tourist season. So we just thinking...Can we keep our base as Innsbruck...and do a day trip from innsbruck to Salzburg and also do a day trip from innsbruck to Hallstatt...OR do two days stay at Salzburg and 2 days stay at Inssbruck? We have seen Vienna so thats out of our plan.

Any views will be much helpful...Thanks
Old Apr 14th, 2024, 08:41 AM

If you plan to visit Krakow - you may visit Katowice, it takes an hour by suburban train and costs only 4$, there is a great Silesian Museum about the history of the whole region which interactive installations. And also have heard a lot about Nikiszowiec - a historical neighbourhood which remained unchanged since it was established.