RN relocating to St Thomas/St Croix

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2024, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am a RN interested in relocating to either St Thomas or St Croix. My husband and I have always dreamt of living in a tropical area with limitless sun and sea! Our children are grown and this seems a perfect time for us. I only know a small amount about either island through vacationing. I know nothing really about relocating, what the hospitals are like (I will be working as a RN) what areas are the safest. We plan to come and lease a property while we get to know the island and locals before buying a property. Any suggestions from locals on which would be better and why would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 10:33 PM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to Fodors. We moved your thread to the Caribbean Forum.
Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 05:52 AM

Begin your research by visiting The VI Moving Center website (www.vimovingcenter.com). It's a website dedicated to living and working in the US Virgin Islands. There's tons of useful information there about all aspects of life on St. Croix, St. Thomas and St. John. Use the various dropdown menus and you'll find answers to all your questions and concerns as well as scores of topics you haven't even thought of yet. They also have a Forum with 10,000's of threads covering every topic imaginable. Don't worry if some of the threads are several years as the information there is still relevant (about the only thing that might have changed are "quoted prices and costs" which you might have to adjust upwards for inflation. The general information regarding work, availability of jobs (yes, you'll find info about working in hospitals and in the health field), job hunting and housing are as true today as they were several years ago.

Living on St. Thomas or St. Croix would result in two very different experiences so be thorough in your research before making and decision. Also, (take it from someone who lived in the Caribbean for 18 years, living on a Caribbean Island is far different than life back on the mainland US and it is not like being there on vacation. It's a bit like living in a small town without the ability to easily leave that town.

One recurring theme you'll find when reading through the material on the VI Moving Center website is the importance of making what is known as a "PMV" or Pre-Move Visit. You should plan on speeded an extended time on the island(s) you are considering BEFOE making any decisions - say a few weeks to a couple of months. Come, not as a tourist staying at in a hotel or resort, sitting on the beach drinking pina coladas, but rather stay in a short term rental property. While there do everyday activities like grocery shopping, banking, paying utility bills, laundry and other household chores, do yard work, check out the housing market, personally look at the different towns and neighborhoods, find out what commuting is like (yes the Caribbean has rush hours) as these are the activities you'll be doing regularly if you decide to relocate.

Another aspect of Caribbean life you should be aware of is wages and salaries are generally lower than they are for comparable jobs on the mainland while most living expenses are significantly higher. That's the Catch-22 of living working in the Caribbean. Common wisdom will tell you that you should come to the Caribbean with a nest egg equal to about 6 months living expenses at the very least. Money goes fast in the Caribbean. There's an old adage that goes something like this: How do you leave the Caribbean with $1 million? Answer: Come with $3 Million.

Lastly, be aware that a large percentage of people contemplating relocation to the Caribbean never make the move and of those who do more than 60% leave in less than 5 years (many don't last a year). Often with couples one likes it and the other finds it not to there liking. That's why making a PMV is so important.

Good luck following your dream.

Old Feb 2nd, 2024, 07:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am not a local but have a couple suggestions.

I'd start by looking into what it would take to get a job there, since you intend to work. Go ahead and send resumes, set up interviews, and make a visit with that focus. If you need a job to make this move work, you need to make sure you can get one before you bother to make any other plans.

100% agree with the suggestion of going to any of the islands and stay for 3-6 months to get a more realistic perspective of what living there full time permanently would be like.

Best wishes...
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 03:07 AM

Just so you know it is very difficult to find employment in the USVI’s unless you are actually on island. Employers learned long ago that the majority of people who are contemplating moving to the island never actually make the move so employers tend to ignore mailed in resumes. That’s one of the main reasons to make a PMV and to bring enough money when you move to support yourself until you find employment.
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 12:54 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have any advice to offer but seeing your post brings to mind being a travel nurse. I work with someone whose wife does it as he works remotely supporting what I do. I don't have Indepth knowledge of it but they are a young family so it works for them and maybe they have connections to help you reach your goal. I would assume their network might be of help if you haven't heard or looked into it.