Reload this Page >

Questions about Lignano and Grado?

Search

Questions about Lignano and Grado?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2024, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Bibione, Lignano and Grado?

I was planning to go to Trieste as an Austria-Hungary history buff in addition to Graz in Austria. However, as a beach lover I'd like to visit some sandy beach towns as well. My trip will be in the beginning of May so no sunbathing, but I just love walking by sandy beaches. I'm not fond of the pebbly kind.

I was told the nearest beach towns to Trieste and Austria are Grado, Lignano and Bibione. Has anyone been there? Is there some partying like nigh clubs? Grado looks loke more for the family crowd while I read about some partying in Lignano and Bibione.
I also wonder if they are popular with foreign tourists? I assume many Austrians go there.
Has anyone been there? Which one of them has more of a party atmosphere and clubs?

Last edited by tanek; Jan 28th, 2024 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 11:37 AM

The whole coast rom Venice via Jesolo - Caorle - Bibione - Lignano up to Grado is very popular with tourists from all over Europe, but mainly Germans and Austrians. But in May everything will be calm and I don't think that you will find much entertainement. May be you better loook forf that in bigger towns like Trieste or Capodistria.
Check the opening hours of the Isonzo battle museums, Miramare castle, Lipizza stud and all the other Austro-Hungarian places you will certainly visit.
Old May 6th, 2024, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

A very belated thanks, neckervd!
I might check out these places, indeed, the A-H history buff in me is overjoyed.
I totally forgot about the thread because at my job they told me I can't use any vacation days in May. Maybe I could get a week in June or September instead.

I wonder which of these towns is most suited for clubbing and partying? Jesolo, Caorle, Bibione, Lignano or Grado? I've heard Grado is more sleepy, not a party destination. I might apply for uni at Graz or Klagenfurt and Lignano and Bibione often get mentioned by unis/academies there as places where a student can go for a summer beach vacation and do clubbing. I guess Jesolo is even more Sunny Beach-like but it would be further away from Austria.

I really get Albena (Bulgaria) vibes from Lignano specifically with its wide, sandy beach and the relative space between hotels but I wonder if it's mostly for families or for young people into partying like Sunny Beach or Golden Sands in Bulgaria? I compared the prices and in some hotels in Lignano it would be cheaper than in many places on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. I certainly didn't expect a beach vacation in Italy to be cheaper than in Bulgaria, I guess Italy just sees more tourists on its Riviera, Rimini and the South. Aside from Jesolo, the rest, especially Lignano and Grado seem really affordable for beach locations, with sandy beaches to boot. As used to our mostly sandy beaches in Bulgaria, I certainly prefer sandy beaches to rocks/pebbles.

Last edited by tanek; May 6th, 2024 at 01:47 AM.
Old May 6th, 2024, 02:27 AM

Once again, this coast will be very calm in May. No partying worth to write home about.
BTW: Jesolo, Caorle, Bibione and Lignano never belonged to Austria, except the short 40 years period after the defeat of Napoleon 1st (18.15 - 1865).
Old May 6th, 2024, 02:44 AM

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%96...ungary1899.JPG
Old May 6th, 2024, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
Once again, this coast will be very calm in May. No partying worth to write home about.
Oh I'm not going to be able to go in May but at the end of June or maybe in August (if it's not too hot) or September. BTW, somewhere I read that Austrian students specifically go to the Friualian coast during Whitsun, that's why I initially wanted to go in May.

Originally Posted by neckervd
BTW: Jesolo, Caorle, Bibione and Lignano never belonged to Austria, except the short 40 years period after the defeat of Napoleon 1st (18.15 - 1865).
Yeah, I know, I meant Trieste.
I'll just love to go to some beachy location after my visit of either Venice or Trieste. A place, where young people go to party but which is less tacky than Sunny Beach and the likes. Or shall I say with the same partying as there but without the tacky overbuilt architecture.