Greece itinerary ideas

Search

Greece itinerary ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2024, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece itinerary ideas

Hello my husband and I are planning on a trip to greece right as we arrive in Istanbul airport. We will be departing from Istanbul airport, headed towards one or two of the following Greek islands. However I'm having great difficulty choosing between which exact islands we should visit as I like several, and they seem to be far from one another. We are a married couple and enjoy relaxing at beaches and some nightlife is nice just not OVERLY crowded like or too expensive like Mykonos.

Please help me decide which islands to go to, and where to depart from to reach certain islands (such as los) which doesn't have an airport to fly into. Also would appreciate recommendations on which of two islands to visit first vs second.

Total trip: 10-12 days

Islands on my top list;
  • los
  • Possibly Paros
  • Crete
  • Zakynthos
  • Corfu?
I was thinking of combining one of following combinations for our trip: (from Istanbul)

1. Crete & Zakynthos

(thinking of ferry from Heraklion)

2. los and Paros
3. Crete and Ios
4. Zakynthos and Corfu

I really like the nightlife in los and was wondering if Zakynthos Laganas has equal nightlife to that of los'.

If I go to los from Istanbul, should I fly into Paros or Santorini? Then take ferry to los. If I fly into Paros for my los trip, then I would just stay in Paros for a week then go to los via ferry. Not to mention, I am debating most between choosing options 1 or 2. Thank you so much!

Old Jan 16th, 2024, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems strange to fly into Turkey then straight away head to Greece. If you will be in Istanbul, why not see something of Turkey first, then head to Greece. Where do you fly out of, to go home?

With the Greek Islands, if you can visit islands that are on the same ferry route, it will save a lot of time. Otherwise you may need to return to Piraeus (Athens) and then catch another ferry back out.
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Well our actual trip is going to Istanbul to visit my Husbands family, I just decided to combine Greece with it because we usually like to go somewhere other than Turkey since I’ve already been to Turkey 5 times and actually got married in Bosporus last year. We usually combine trips as we will visit Turkey yearly

Originally Posted by KayF
It seems strange to fly into Turkey then straight away head to Greece. If you will be in Istanbul, why not see something of Turkey first, then head to Greece. Where do you fly out of, to go home?

With the Greek Islands, if you can visit islands that are on the same ferry route, it will save a lot of time. Otherwise you may need to return to Piraeus (Athens) and then catch another ferry back out.
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 11:41 PM

Forget Option 1 unless you really like spending time in airports. There are no ferries from Piraeus to Zakynthos, or ferries between Zakynthos and Crete. that would mean four separate flights connecting in Athens to combine those two islands.

Logistically Option 2 would be easiest, as Ios and Naxos are close together, and well connected by ferry. From Paros, as well as excellent beaches, there are many opportunities for day trips to other islands, including Antiparos, Naxos, and Delos/Mykonos.

Unless I missed it, you didn’t say which month you are travelling. Even the so called party islands are quiet outside high season (July and August). Are you attracted to Zakynthos partly from photos of the shipwreck beach (Navagio)? what the photos don’t show are the crowds that go by boat to the beach, or the fact that it is pebbles rather than sand. I believe the beach was closed recently for danger of rockfall.

Old Jan 17th, 2024, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

I don’t mind airports, and I saw there was a ferry option from Zakynthos to Heraklion specifically, found ferry tickets. And yes that’s 4 separate flights. Such a hard decision…

Originally Posted by Heimdall
Forget Option 1 unless you really like spending time in airports. There are no ferries from Piraeus to Zakynthos, or ferries between Zakynthos and Crete. that would mean four separate flights connecting in Athens to combine those two islands.

Logistically Option 2 would be easiest, as Ios and Naxos are close together, and well connected by ferry. From Paros, as well as excellent beaches, there are many opportunities for day trips to other islands, including Antiparos, Naxos, and Delos/Mykonos.

Unless I missed it, you didn’t say which month you are travelling. Even the so called party islands are quiet outside high season (July and August). Are you attracted to Zakynthos partly from photos of the shipwreck beach (Navagio)? what the photos don’t show are the crowds that go by boat to the beach, or the fact that it is pebbles rather than sand. I believe the beach was closed recently for danger of rockfall.
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 02:38 AM

A ferry from Zakynthos to Heraklion would be nice, indeed. But it never existed, neither in this, nor in the last Century.
If you opt for Crete, spend all 10 days there.Even that will not be enouigh for a somewhat decent visit of this big Island.

In summer season Ios can be reached by direct catamaran from Rafina port (30 min by taxi from Athens airport) as well as by catamaran and slow ferry from Piraeus port (1 1/2 - 2 hrs by commuter train, metro or bus from Athens airport).
You may also book a connecting flight from Athens airport to Paros, Naxos or Santorini and go on from there by ferry or catamaran. All depends on the boat and fllight timetables..

If you don't want ti fly via Athens, you may also focus on a Dodecannese or Eastern Aegean Island, of easy reach from the airports of Dalaman and Bodrum, resp. Izmir.
Old Jan 17th, 2024, 04:29 AM

Travelcoupleoz, where did you see the “ferry option from Zakynthos to Heraklion”? I’ve been following Greek ferries for years, and never heard such a thing.