Amsterdam & Brussels Hotel Locations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2024, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning on being in Amsterdam for 9 nights in June going to the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Vondelpark, Hermitage Museum, Royal Palace, Anne Frank Museum, various day trips and are looking for an area to for two seniors to have a central location to our plans. We are moderately active and limited energy, so we like to be central to dining, music, museums, trains, etc. Looking for locations to highlight in our searches.

Additionally, we'll be in Brussels for another 10 nights in July also needing centralized locations for all our plans.

Please note, while we are able to walk some distances, we don't want a long distance for every meal, or train ride. I guess we're needing location suggestions in centralized areas.

Thank you.
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 02:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Brussels:
Marriott Executive Apartments, European Quarter

https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...rter/overview/
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will be interested in replies as I'm planning on a stay in Brussels too. Being central, for me, is a must. I love stepping outside and everything is on your doorstep.
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 10:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I loved this place in Amsterdam https://nesplein.hotelv.com

Very (VERY) central. Walking distance to just about everything. less than a mile from both the Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank House, 5 minutes from De Oude Kerk, a little over half a mile from Central Station - just really convenient.

I booked a Superior room (their mid-level rooms) which was very large. Service was really great. They have a nice on-site restaurant and bar but there are lots of other restaurants within walking distance. If I was staying 9 nights and if it fit in the budget, I'd book one of their very large suites for the extra space
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 01:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In Amsterdam I would recommend you use Google maps or similar with skill and choose accom that is right next to a tram stop. The trams expand the easy to get to places tremendously and you will find, if you use taxis, that they are restricted in where they can go and the route is often complicated. https://amsterdammap360.com/amsterdam-tram-map is the core map, but you will find the stops appear in google.

The stops also appear on Booking.com map
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by KayF
I will be interested in replies as I'm planning on a stay in Brussels too. Being central, for me, is a must. I love stepping outside and everything is on your doorstep.
Brussels is not like that, you would have to be more specific.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAE

I like the Dam Square area of Amsterdam but also the museum park. I'm afraid of the maps reflecting that you're right in the center and the actuality is that it's a mile or so from the center of the target area.

Bilboburgler assisted with the tram locations. We learned how to use them last year in London. That is very helpful.

Thank you all for your help. I know I have a lot more research to do. We've always liked to be central, but now it is necessary.

I'm still lost in Brussels. But I have a lot more day trips and was hoping for an apartment so that adds a level of limitation to the location and cost. We also must have air conditioning.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 06:29 AM

We did something absurd, and we'd do it again. We did Marriotts in both places.
Yeah, I know.
We're into small hotels.
But as "hub" hotels, both the Marriotts we used were perfectly located.

Warning: Years ago. Rooms I'm sure changed. Locations are still excellent.

Amsterdam: Amsterdam Marriott Hotel - Hotel in Amsterdam City Centre
Perfect for tram line from Centraal Station, meaning airport connection and suburb access worked well. Easy tram and walking access to all museums.
We booked it the first time because my daughter and I were both deathly ill and knew we had to get well before a cycling trip. Marriott=Mattresses
Did not do Club Level.

Location worked so well that when we returned to Amsterdam a year or two later with more family members, we re-booked because we would be doing even more art and more daytrips, including Keukenhof Gardens.

Brussels: Brussels Marriott Hotel Grand Place - Hotel in Brussels City Centre
We booked a room with access to the M Club, which worked out well for us. We were using the Central Station daily for 4 daytrips, and the Club Access gave us just enough food to tide us over whenever timing allowed. Our daily routine was to hit the M Club early, head out through Grand Place to the station, pick a train venture, return through Grand Place (which was by now hopping with activity), grab a beer, grab a snack in the hotel, and either sleep or get some GREAT food in some Brussels restaurants.
But what was a lovely array of food choices in the M Club I shall assume has changed. Location and mattresses probably still work well.

Can't emphasize it enough: both cities and both hotels were EXCELLENT hubs for our needs (exploration of Northern Renaissance Painters).

Good luck.
AZ
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 07:05 AM

In Amsterdam, we loved JL76 near Vondelpark and nearby by is Hotel Aalders which is often recommended. We did not want to stay in the inner rings, we were concerned with crowds and night time noise, and we were very happy with the quiet neighborhood feel, and plenty of restaurants nearby. It is very near the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum.

I don't have any experience with this, but I would look into an apartment for that length of time, to eat some breakfasts in and an occasional meal when you don't feel heading out for it. What is your budget?

You have quite a bit of time, would you consider a third location?
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coral22
In Amsterdam, we loved JL76 near Vondelpark and nearby by is Hotel Aalders which is often recommended. We did not want to stay in the inner rings, we were concerned with crowds and night time noise, and we were very happy with the quiet neighborhood feel, and plenty of restaurants nearby. It is very near the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum.

I don't have any experience with this, but I would look into an apartment for that length of time, to eat some breakfasts in and an occasional meal when you don't feel heading out for it. What is your budget?

You have quite a bit of time, would you consider a third location?
We'll be in Europe for 2 months, immersing ourselves in the areas. We'll be going to Rotterdam for a few days before heading to Brussels. We may head back over to Switzerland and we are planning a driving trip through southern England and then Ireland. But we're slow. What most people would do in a day, we'll do in two days. I even have down days built into our schedule. This may be our last trip together to Europe, but not our last trip together. So, not being sad, but location and other amenities such as A/C and walk-in-shower (not a tub) are a must. (There's no wheelchair or walker involved, but safety matters.)
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Good locations. But too expensive for the Marriott Hotels.

We like the boutiques. Generous breakfasts, comfort and friendly feel of the smaller hotels.

But I'm looking for:
1) Location & Location
2) A/C & Walk-in Shower
3) Affordability - and while it is flexible, we'll be in Europe for two months, so it's not unlimited. (My partner thinks everything is a nickel, or should be.)
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 08:11 AM

I totally get it, ChallengerGray. I'm 70+, husband is 79. Instead of planning cycling routes as we did in days of yore, we now have to answer the big question: How many times must we hoist luggage in 72 hours? Enjoy your time!
AZ
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
I loved this place in Amsterdam https://nesplein.hotelv.com

Very (VERY) central. Walking distance to just about everything. less than a mile from both the Rijksmuseum and Anne Frank House, 5 minutes from De Oude Kerk, a little over half a mile from Central Station - just really convenient.

I booked a Superior room (their mid-level rooms) which was very large. Service was really great. They have a nice on-site restaurant and bar but there are lots of other restaurants within walking distance. If I was staying 9 nights and if it fit in the budget, I'd book one of their very large suites for the extra space
Thank you for the suggestion. I took one look at the chair in the superior room and, well, it's not for us.

I'm looking into VRBO options too. Location is important.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlessandraZoe
I totally get it, ChallengerGray. I'm 70+, husband is 79. Instead of planning cycling routes as we did in days of yore, we now have to answer the big question: How many times must we hoist luggage in 72 hours? Enjoy your time!
AZ
That's EXACTLY it! My partner is already mad about the luggage I bring, and it's month's away. I promise NOT to overpack. I promise. As for cycling, we're renting e-bikes at 30 Euro per day. (We went from Fisherman's Warf to Sausalito on a bike tour a few years back, and I got the e-bike. Ego wouldn't let him do it. I was fine. He pushed his bike half the tour (uphill to the Golden Gate Bridge)....and there I was pushing an e-bike! That was so hard uphill!
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 08:29 AM

I have booked the Park Plaza Vondelpark and am hoping it's not too far out of the way. As soon as I get a minute I will check out tram stops nearby, thank you Bilboburgler for that!!
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 08:39 AM

Brussels hotel prices in June are affected by the proximity of the Paris Olympics.

Last edited by cdnyul; Jan 13th, 2024 at 08:43 AM.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 08:56 AM

If airconditioning is a must for you, forget about Airbnb. It is quite rare to find AC in residential properties in Brussel and Amsterdam. So you want central location, AC, boutique hotel, walk-in shower, affordable, but will disregard a hotel because you don't like a chair in a room? Hard to recommend anything. Jan Luyken maybe?
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by natylou
I have booked the Park Plaza Vondelpark and am hoping it's not too far out of the way. As soon as I get a minute I will check out tram stops nearby, thank you Bilboburgler for that!!
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 09:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulips
If airconditioning is a must for you, forget about Airbnb. It is quite rare to find AC in residential properties in Brussel and Amsterdam. So you want central location, AC, boutique hotel, walk-in shower, affordable, but will disregard a hotel because you don't like a chair in a room? Hard to recommend anything. Jan Luyken maybe?

Ditto that 100%. air conditioning in anything other than large modern hotels is not a given anywhere in Europe. Especially not in typical residential flats/cottages/etc.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 02:43 PM

Appreciating this thread. We are thinking about a quick week or two in that area very soon, a return trip. We are in a similar 70s traveling position regarding walking distances and luggage carrying. I have learned that we can pack using Rick Steve's list for about 5 days, keep it light and layering, and send out laundry as needed. Most hotels have the service or there is a cleaners that do so nearby. We are frugal, too, but this is worth it in keeping our luggage manageable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -