Interesting small towns near Sevilla and car rental

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2023, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on a couple of weeks in January or February flying into Seville. This will be our second visit to Seville so would plan on staying a week there this time. I'd also like to visit some lesser known towns: Carmona, Ecija, Osuna, Estepa. I've seen Carmona and Osuna would be doable as day trips from Sevilla by public transport, but probably for the others I need to rent a car, base in one of them and then drive to the others (maybe adding Zuheros, Lucena,Cabra, Priego de Cordoba). Has anybody here done something similar? Which towns did you like and why?

We've already visited Pueblos Blancos di Sierra di Grazalema, Jerez and Cadiz, Cordoba, although I know I'd enjoy going back to any or all of the last three.
Anybody been to Huelva?

Any car rentals at sevilla airport you've had a particularly good or bad experience with?

Thanks for any help
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 09:28 AM

Since you've seen Carmona, I would day trip to Osuna from Sevilla by public transport (bus).

Since you've already visited the Pueblos Blancos in the Sierra de Grazalema plus Jerez de la Frontera and Cádiz, I would rent a car and do the beautiful pueblos blancos around Priego de Córdoba (very very pretty town), Cabra, Zuheros, Carcabuey, Iznájar, following the Ruta del Califato and the Sierra Subbética.

I've been to the Huelva province (Ayamonte and the beaches of Islantilla) but not the city of Huelva, and I personally would skip it and instead move east to the Subbética, which is more interesting both visually and historically.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 10:15 AM

Italica.
Recommend to us by a local architect . A short (local ) bus ride from Seville
Italica was an ancient Roman city in Hispania; its site is close to the town of Santiponce in the province of Seville, Spain. It was founded in 206 BC by Roman general Scipio as a colonia for his Italic veterans and named after them. Wikipedia
Not much of a town but interesting Roman mosaics and amphitheater . We enjoyed a couple of hours examining well preserved ruins.

Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 06:35 AM
twk

I rented a car for part of our Spain trip in 2018, although it was a one-way rental from Sevilla to Granada (after using the car for trips to Ronda, a couple of the white hill towns, and Gibraltar). Picking up the car at the Santa Justa railway station was easy, and so was the drive out of town. Outside the historic center, Sevilla is not difficult to drive in.
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 07:45 AM

I've also picked up rental cars at Santa Justa rail. The major players are there--National, Avis/Budget, Sixt, Europcar.

A little bit more about my very favorite town on the Route of the Caliphate, Priego de Córdoba and the Sierras Subbéticas Natural Park here. And here.
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. In the end Maribel's idea (thanks Maribel!) was more tempting than Seville (because we've already visited Seville and aren't really used to big cities however beautiful they are) so I booked flights into Malaga which were slightly cheaper and better times for us end February/beginning of March. We will rent a car there and visit the smaller towns, returning to Antequera at the start of the trip and and Salobrena towards the end which we loved on previous trips (also for restaurants we liked) and then a sort of loop in between. I'd like to base in Priego for most of the days but it'll depend where I find suitable accommodation. Now I have several weeks to enjoy myself reading up on all the towns, fixing an itinerary and choosing accommodation.
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 06:29 PM

We just stayed in Antequerra for 3 nights and it's a lovely little town. Don't miss the Dolmens on the outskirts . There's an article about them on the Unesco site or just google. Very nice museum there too.
Old Jan 4th, 2024, 11:38 PM

We're staying in Antequera at the Parador during Holy Week, after Córdoba and Sevilla and before Málaga.

just_tina,
Have you looked at the lovely Casa Olea? That would be my first choice for lodging near Priego de Córdoba.

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 5th, 2024 at 12:04 AM.
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

HI Maribel I looked at casa Olea, but they are still closed for the dates I plan to be there
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 01:30 AM

just_tina,
That's too bad that they're closed during your dates. I forgot about Jan-Feb.

You might check Hacienda el Tarajal if you're ok with a countryside setting. Their restaurant isn't open every day, so for one of your days you'd probably need to dine in Priego de Córdoba. Another country stay could be in Iznájar at the Cortijo la Haza.
Or there are several B&B types of accommodations in Priego de Córdoba itself.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Lucena would also be a good base logistically, but not sure it's very pretty. Have you been there Maribel?
I was also wondering about the Axarquia area for the last few days. Any favourite towns there anyone?
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 02:47 AM

Lucena isn't as pretty to my eyes as the ones I mentioned above.

I've been to the Axarquia and the most highly white photographed town there is Frigiliana, "the pearl of the Axarquia". It is, though, somewhat largely populated now by expats and Northern European snowbirds, as is Nerja, if that matters, and more condo construction, like much larger Nerja.
But since you enjoy Salobreña, you'll most likely enjoy a night in Frigiliana. I personally wouldn't spend more than one night, but I haven't spent the night, only visited on a day trip from Nerja.

The area I love is Jaén-Baeza-Úbeda-Cazorla, which I see you've already explored and enjoyed.

Old Jan 9th, 2024, 06:31 AM

Personal favourite of the places you mentioned for me is Priego de Cordoba. Not far from there was a fascinating olive oil museum - it's a while since I was there and it was in the middle of nowhere, but perhaps you could do a Google search. Ecija is know as the frying pan of Spain in summer, so February is a good time to visit North of Sevilla is a place called Jerez de los Caballeros if you fancy a night or two in a small town that not many tourists get to.
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

We visited Nerja, Frigiliana, Almunecar and Salobrena on a previous trip by public transport. This time we'll have a car so I was wondering about places further in the hills - Comares, perhaps? Or any other favourites?
Another vote for Priego, I see. It'll definitely be one destination
Yes, Antequera is lovely. We've been twice but I think will stop for at least a day this time too
Thanks
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 09:45 PM

just_tina,
I wondered since you had visited Salobreña if you had also gone to Nerja / Frigiliana since they're close by.
I've had Cómpeta on my list for a while to visit and would stay at Casa Maroma.
But Cómpeta, like Frigiliana and Nerja, is heavily populated with expats (47% of the population of 3,814 people), if that matters.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 06:55 AM

By the way, there's a hotel called Hospederia de San Francisco in Priego. It was great! It's in a 16th century ex-convent at one end of town. It wasn't expensive at all when I was there a few years ago and we had breakfast in a room surrounded by these amazing, huge old paintings. It's at one end of town, maybe 5 minutes walk from the main square. The town is completely walkable too.
Old Jan 11th, 2024, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Masterton, I'd been wondering about Hospederia de San Francisco so useful to know you liked it, and Priego in general