Search

Bizarre Times in Cuba

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2023, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bizarre Times in Cuba

I don't mean to pick on old Cuba but if you come from, let's say; a more conventional supposed 1st world country, then some things that go on in Cuba might seem a bit strange, weird, if not more than a tad awkward, to the average Joes of this planet. Case in point; not all nations have an abundance of animals pulling buggies, wagons and what not down the road or have a citizenship that on average could dance the socks off of most all of it's visitors from around the globe. There are certainly some things that are commendable about Cuba, but then again, other things that are down-right peculiar.

I have a few bizarre stories. Let me go first.....

I was in Santiago and needing to fetch a taxi for the long haul. I asked around and one chico in particular didn't like my price so I moved on. He eventually caught up with me again and agreed to my price. He drove a yellow "Cuba taxi" so I though all should be fine. Well, next thing you know he stopped to pick up his daughters (or was it his neighbour's cousins?) and invited them along for the drive. He had to make another pit stop, so there I am in the back with these over-friendly folks and starting to get annoyed. "I want a ride to such 'n such not a birthday party with presents", I told them! After waiting longer and smelling something possibly creepy while Mr. Cab Driver was in some building doing his business, I had to take matters into my own hands and grabbed my luggage and made a dash for it to the next main street. The only available vehicle that was willing to help me was a motorcycle with a side car. I awkwardly hopped in the side car with my luggage and told the guy, "get me out of here pronto"! He stepped on the gas and I let out a big howl and hand gestured to the folks that I left behind.

Hope you enjoyed my story. What about you? Any bizarre happenings while in Cuba?
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 08:04 PM

I think the obvious one that is bizarre or unique about Cuba are all the vintage automobiles that are still being driven. We have never seen that anywhere else in all our travels down south.

Once while in Varadero, we met a man who was reportedly a physic by his own admission but his ability to read the unknown was horribly vague.

It is very cold where you come from……….
You have stress at work……
You will live a long life…….

That kind of stuff LOL!
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 08:50 PM

Sorry, I should have written psychic not physic.
Another bizarre thing about Cuba is the amount of new friends that you can accumulate on any given day!

In general though Cuba is a great place to visit as far as we are concerned.

Last edited by Wessislander; Dec 26th, 2023 at 08:54 PM.
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wessislander
I think the obvious one that is bizarre or unique about Cuba are all the vintage automobiles that are still being driven. We have never seen that anywhere else in all our travels down south.

Once while in Varadero, we met a man who was reportedly a physic by his own admission but his ability to read the unknown was horribly vague.

It is very cold where you come from……….
You have stress at work……
You will live a long life…….

That kind of stuff LOL!
there was a series on TV called“ yank tanks.“ It was about the vintage cars that they have. Because of the break-in relations with the US parts are not available. As a result, Cuban mechanics have become masters of adaptation. For example, they may take part from a Russian car and put on a Chevy, a part from a Chrysler and put it on a Ford and so on.

If that is not possible, then they make the part themselves. There’s a cottage industry of shops that do this sort of work.

Old Dec 27th, 2023, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Ingenuity is key to making life just a bit more interesting and bearable these past few decades in Cuba.
An alternate, every so often, must be found.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 04:51 PM

The need and ability to self-manufacture for things like car parts is indeed another unique/bizarre attribute regarding Cuba. Some people working at our resort one year would fill up a tennis can full of wine and pass it around. Different strokes for different folks!

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

Old Jan 1st, 2024, 08:42 AM

I've had way too many bizarre incidents in Cuba to mention here. So I'll keep it transportation related. Changed a tire on a coco taxi in Havana. Rode on the back of a large flatbed truck while sharing rum with the others on board. Have held various livestock in the backseats of several cars. Argued with and threatened many taxi drivers after they raised the price at the end of my trip. One thing that always makes me giggle is remembering the time that my girlfriend and I took the Viazul to Santa Clara. When we got off the bus, there were no taxis around. So we climbed into a bici taxi and headed towards our casa. The guy was in his 70's and was having a difficult time. He pulled over after about half way to take a break. So I offered to drive. So he climbs in the back with my girlfriend and puts my backpack on his lap and off we go. How do you pay someone in that situation? I bought him a couple of beers and thanked him for the memories. Also Happy New Year to all!
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Simon, in your opinion, are bizarre incidents more prevalent and unique to Cuba or is it just one crazy world out there anyhow? Again, not trying to pick on Cuba but it never seems to be a dull place one way or the other!

Another one is the amount of people in Havana that I would recognize being from another part of the island (mostly Santiago), Turn the corner.....and there's another one! Or what is more bizarre is people in Havana recognizing me from Santiago. Escucha! I am really from la tierra frio no la tierra caliente!
Old Jan 2nd, 2024, 12:07 PM

Nope. Not unique to Cuba. Bizarre incidents can happen in any country. I have countless tales of strange things that have happened to me all over the world. Not so much in Western Europe though. Mostly Eastern Europe, Asia and Central and South America. And more to come I'm sure.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

This one doesn't really pertain exclusively to Cuba or Cubans but it did happen there at the end of my trip this past January at a resort.

It was late at night and although I was hankering for some shut-eye, the body and mind didn't want to turn in just yet, so I decided to go for a middle of the night swim in one of the hotel pools when most others, including my friends, were in their rooms sawing logs or whatever.

It was refreshing and tranquil as I swam about and kept still when other folks periodically walked by.

This brush with sweet wet solitude came to a crashing end as two large figures rolled up to the pool and completely disrobed before wading in. Now I ain't no prude but the female was many decades too old to be Miss America and I kind of felt offended that this couple would crash my darkened pool party whether they knew it or not. Talk about a bummer and a couple of big ones at that.

A few large splashes from my end startled them and let them know that they weren't alone to which they hopped out, put on their clothes and skedaddled.

Ah sweet serenity!
Old Feb 27th, 2024, 02:19 PM

Spoil sport lol!
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 05:19 PM

Could have been worse CW. The couple could have smiled and made their way towards you.