Scotland plus Ireland?

Search

Scotland plus Ireland?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2023, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland plus Ireland?

We spent 6 wonderful weeks in Scotland 50+ years ago and have vivid memories. We are going to visits friends near Dumfries in May and want to return to some of our favorite places. Should we head over to Ireland for a visit? Is it that different in terms of sites, towns and vistas? We are in our 70s, not huge hikers, enjoy nature and small towns and some ancient sites, but less churches.
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 12:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Only you can decide. How long do you have for the trip? I really enjoy Ireland, but Scotland is just about my favorite place on earth. One thing in your favor is being in SW Scotland puts you close to the ferry to Belfast.

The two countries really do feel different. In general I find the scenery in Scotland more dramatic / spectacular -- but that is just me and depends on which part(s0 of the country.
Old Dec 19th, 2023, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your sage thoughts. Leaning towards more time in Scotland and may look into Wales.
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 12:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Scotland is special. I think you need to advise us where you went 50 years ago and if you want to see new stuff or visit memories.

Wales; while it is one country, the differences between the south, the central northern bit and the coastal northern bit are very different. I prefer avoiding the south which in my mind is the post-industrial landscape of small valleys, but others will have different views. I've spent time in the other two areas and prefer the central portion, far fewer roads, towns etc but I like the vibe.
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 07:33 AM

^^^ more re Wales: I agree w/ bilboburgler that Wales is sort of three countries - north/middle/south and the most of south Wales is less spectacular. Exceptions being the Pembroke Coast/St David's area and some of the Brecon Beacons and over towards Chepstow/Tintern Abbey. North Wales has enough castles, and mountains and gardens and such to fill a lot of time.

I also agree -- re Scotland, where did you visit last time? Do you want to relive old memories, plow new territory or both?

Depending on the length of trip - say 2 to 2.5 weeks - I'd do just Scotland. 3ish weeks Maybe Scotland and a few days in North Wales - you could fly in to GLA or EDI and home from MAN. 3.5 to 4+ weeks maybe something like Scotland, Northumberland, the Yorkshire Dales, and North Wales.

But honestly there are endless permutations . . . .
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these helpful thoughts.
50+ years ago we hitchhiked for 6 weeks and covered most of Scotland (Isles, Orkney, etc.) except for the Dumfries/Glasgow (stayed 1 night in Glasgow) area, which is where we will be staying with friends, so we will be there this time and we even have a specific tour book for that region. We are not particularly interested in returning to Edinburgh, as we like the countryside so much more. We would like to revisit some areas (such as Glencoe), but explore some newer experiences and, believe it or not, we never toured Inverary! We like your Wales ideas. 3 weeks is definitely an option for us. So, any thoughts on some new experiences since 1972 are very welcomed.
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 03:11 PM

" . . . believe it or not, we never toured Inverary!"

Not sure the why of that . . . Inveraray Castle certainly is a castle with interesting bits and the village is a cute tourist centre, but neither are in the top 10 of must sees IMO. Now if maybe you are Campbell's . . . then I could understand.

In six weeks you sure could have seen a lot but probably not most of Scotland. Other than Orkney, which other isles did you visit? The Outer Hebrides, Skye, Mull/Iona, Islay, Arran, Bute, etc.

This time Dumfries & Galloway and probably Ayrshire are givens. So last time, did you visit areas like the Borders, Fife, the northeast/Castle Trail/Aberdeenshire? Others?
Old Dec 21st, 2023, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Everyone always asked if we visited Inverary... We really appreciate your help and interest. I will study the book/map in the next few days to recall our trip. It was before digital photos, etc., so we are relying on memory here. I know we went to Skye, Mull, not Arran. More soon. Thanks so much.
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 10:41 AM

You could easily fill your time in Dumfries and Galloway long with Ayrshire and also the Borders.Depending on how long you have, you coiuld also spend a few days on Arran. These are areas the usual tourists don't get to so they will be quieter. There is some super scenery - Loch Trool is the equal of many Lochs further north. You have ruined castles, stately homes, ruined abbeys, ancient remains, gardens, superb coast line, Gem rock museum in Creetown. There are plenty of small villages to explore along with nature too...

If you haven't found it, the Undiscovered Scotland website is a wonderful source of ideas. Start with the relevant map page and follow the links to the text pages with lots of photos. You will find all sorts of higdden gems ignored by the guide books.
https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/index.html

There's loads to do and see in Scotland, so just concentrate on that and forget Ireland and also Wales.
Old Dec 23rd, 2023, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

waslekys and janisj--This is exactly where our thoughts have been going--to focus on Dumfries/Galloway area, which we breezed through before. Undiscovered Scotland is a great resource and we were given the Bradt Guide/Slow Travel by our friends who live there. We may go revisit a few memories, such as Glencoe and Skye, but not go to Ireland or Wales and focus on Scotland totally. We were briefly in Aberdeen and briefly in Ayr. We passed through Fife and went to St. Andrews. We did not go to the Borders area. There is obviously I lot we did not do. We are trying to narrow this down. We only spent one night in Glasgow 50+ years ago. I think it has vastly changed. You are really helping us narrow this down. I like the idea of going to the island of Arran.
Old Dec 23rd, 2023, 11:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I lived for 3 months in the hills above Ayr, nothing to write home about. Arran is better as long as it is not raining.
Old Dec 24th, 2023, 12:53 AM

Ah -- but Ayrshire does have Culzean, Crossraguel Abbey, Burns sites. Maybe not the most scenic of areas but being adjacent to D&G and the Borders makes it very convenient wander through