Reload this Page >

Argentina and on to Antarctica Dec 2023

Search

Argentina and on to Antarctica Dec 2023

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2023, 10:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen from taxi to hotel in Buenos Aires.

Outbound flight Ushuaia airport was total chaos!

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 29th, 2023 at 10:16 PM.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 06:24 AM
P_M

That airport was chaotic the day I left too.

How was the Drake for you? The crew said it was relatively calm but I had a hard time with it. I think it would have been a lot worse if not for the ear patch.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

We had mixed weather on our crossings. One of the two on the way down was a lake. The crew called the others moderate. The day we sailed south from the Falklands to Ushuaia was the roughest. Our old hand Fritz said that was often the case. Other than sucking on some ginger candy I didn't use anything.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Last day lunch

Posada 1280 San Martín
Tucumán 501
Three courses about $21, plus tips requested in cash only at 10% and excluding beverages.

Last edited by mlgb; Dec 30th, 2023 at 10:32 AM.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 11:05 AM
P_M

Thanks for the report mlgb. It sounds like your trip was just as unforgettable as mine. And most of all, it was so cool that our ships crossed paths. I didn't know that was going to happen until about 10 minutes ahead of time so I ran outside to get a pic of your ship. I loved that we posted pics of each other's ships. 😀
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi PM yes a truly memorable experience. Of course flying back home was another 24 hours of unpleasantry, mostly at the airports. Mexico City is NOT a good airport to transfer through around a holiday! I even convinced a wheelchair guy to push me from one end of T2 to the other after they announced a gate change. (I did tip him but could only dig out a USD $5 bill). LAX on a mid-Saturday New Years Ever was almost a pleasure after that.

I wound up never using Uber in Argentina, I used taxis and remises. When I flagged at taxi on the street my last day, he used the meter and I gave him about 2500 ARS which was about $3 and over the meter rate. I was trying to use up all of my ARS change before I left (exchange rate has settled back down after my lucky first day when there was a bit of financial panic).
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

I should probably now mention the hotels that I used independently in Buenos Aires, as well as recommend the restaurant for the final day's lunch.

Precruise I was at the "A Hotel" at Azcuenaga 1268 in Recoleta neighborhood. It seems to go by a few different names and there is another hotel with a similar name. I liked that neighborhood, and there is a good coffee shop next door. Breakfast is not included and is pretty basic. Second morning I just had the coffee and croissant from the shop next door. Some of the rooms are quite compact but mine was quiet, the bed was comfortable, good water pressure, A/C thankfully working, and an elevator. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. I needed 24 hour reception with a late night arrival. Both of the reception staff spoke English and were helpful. I asked for the official posted rate in ARS and due to the financial panic on my arrival day, that converted to half off the price cited on booking.com website when I reserved (no prepay option).

My final night I stayed at 474 Buenos Aires Hotel at San Martin 474, in the "Microcentro" neighborhood. The hotel was fine, had an elevator, room was quiet and large, comfortable and good wifi. Desk staff was friendly and I used the luggage storage after checkout. Of note, the outlets accept a variety of international plugs, including US flat plugs.

Walking down Florida Street was somewhat entertaining as I was offered "Cambio" by assorted sketchy people every 50 feet. This seems to be a bit of a "night life" district judging from all of the "Sex Shops" signs. However I didn't stay out after dark and it was fine midday on Friday and Saturday, convenient for shopping for a new suitcase since mine showed up thrashed in Ushuaia Airport. The location is a few blocks from the excellent restaurant where I had my final day's lunch and walking distance to the downtown sights, Puerto Madero area, Costanera Sur reserve and the Buquebus terminal.

I was happy with my Saturday lunch was at La Posada de 1820 (at the corner of San Martin and Tucuman) .Can't argue with $21 for an 8 ounce perfectly cooked sirloin, arugula salad with shaved parmesan, and a sort of Baked Alaska dessert. Maybe I was just lucky, but it was pretty full by the time I left so apparently also a popular choice with others (mostly Portenos but I heard another tourist behind me near the door).

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 3rd, 2024 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 09:05 AM

Great report. Leaving on January 24 for a Antarctica cruise with Atlas Ocean Voyages on their newest ship. 3 days total in Buenos Aires at the beginning and end. Your report has me getting excited when there has been a little trepidation!
Old Feb 3rd, 2024, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

A final note, my reimbursement check from Hurtigruten for a replacement suitcase arrived as promised. I told them I bought the cheapest one I could find in the same size and they didn't argue about it, just asked for the receipt. Not very high quality but I never really liked the soft sided one it replaced.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 06:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
In Buenos Aires we started off in that “sketchy” part of town and moved to Recoleta which we enjoyed. The restaurants in Recoleta, mostly Italian, were wonderful and a nice break from all the beef. And we also bought delicious empanadas at El Sanjuanino!.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Feb 8th, 2024 at 06:30 PM.