southern india

Search

southern india

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2023, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
southern india

Ive been to the north, and loved the moghul influence, so I thought I'd go south, to Kerala. However, it seems to me, based on the tour books, that Kerala is mostly about visiting ancient temples. One or two are ok, but, no more than that and the game park was discouraged. What would my Fodors community suggest I visit? I usually travel @ 2 wks. TIA
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 02:31 AM

annergizer,
As the above poster indicates, it’s Tamil Nadu that is primarily known for its temples, known as Chola temples. They’re remarkable to see but you’re right, one can easily get “templed out”. Kerala is known for its coast, the backwaters, beautiful mountain scenery and wildlife sanctuaries. Of course there are temples in Kerala, but that’s not what it’s known for. Kochi, or Cochin, is a port city and was the center of the Indian spice trade, and is a wonderful and colorful city with a very diverse culture.

We’ve been to both the north (Rajasthan, Delhi, Varanasi) and Kerala/Tamil Nadu/Mumbai and the former blew us away. I’m glad we visited Kerala and Tamil Nadu but it didn’t have quite the “wow” factor for us that the Rajasthan trip had.
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I visited Kochi my first trip to India and loved it. Chinese fishing nets, synagogue, cathedral, dance performance, houseboat cruise....

My second trip was almost all in the south, and did include a lot of temples, but they are not all the same.

For my TR start here (links at the top of the page): https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...retty-palolem/
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 06:47 AM

It seems to me that a lot of visitors go up into the hills to visit the tea plantations.
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 11:52 PM

Southern India

In the south, I really love Ooty, located in Tamil Nadu, for its beautiful gardens, lakes, and the most attractive feature the toy train journey through the Nilgiri Mountains. Another favorite of mine is Mahabalipuram, it boasts stunning cultural richness, including beautiful temples like rock-cut temples and shore temples.
Old Jan 16th, 2024, 09:13 PM

Explore Kerala's diverse attractions beyond temples. Enjoy backwaters, lush landscapes, houseboats, and cultural experiences. Consider Munnar, Alleppey, and Periyar National Park for a well-rounded 2-week itinerary.