Search

Merida trip?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2023, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merida trip?

I think this might be the season (January or February '24) when we finally get to Merida and surrounds. Flying Vivaaerobus from Queretaro. Not experienced at all with the Yucatan peninsula except for many consecutive trips to Isla Mujeres back in the 90's with some brief Tulum & PDC visits. Anyway, looking for any input/suggestions. Hotels, cenotes, archeological sites, restaurants, things to do, etc. Very rough itinerary: Start with a few nights in Merida proper. Air bnb or hotel? Rent a car. Maybe some beach time, Sisal or Chetumal? 2-3 nights on the beach at best. Move on to Campeche (city) for 2-3 nights. Unless more is suggested by ya'll. Return to Merida. Want to visit at least 1 worthwhile archeological site either on the way to/from Campeche/Mérida. Uxmal? Maybe splurge on a night at a heneken hacienda somewhere along the way. Probably won't be seeing Chichén Itza or Vallodolid. Not interested in crowds, especially day-trippers from Cancún. But unsure on that. We do have a young friend now living in Merida that can be a bit of a guide for us while there. We knew her back in the states before she was deported to Merida.
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 04:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I just started a thread also on the Yucután. I will follow yours to see what suggestions you get. I’ll be in Mérida first week of February. When will you be there?
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 06:33 AM

Sisal is upscale and I remember very windy but could just have been the day.

Really liked hanging around Bacalar just north of Chetumal.

We did stay in Chicanna Ecovillage for Calakmul. Nice grounds. I remember it rained a lot!
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 06:36 AM

Sisal is upscale and I remember very windy but could just have been the day. Good place for endemic Yucatan Wren.

Really liked hanging around Bacalar just north of Chetumal.

We did stay in Chicanna Ecovillage for Calakmul. Nice grounds. I remember it rained a lot!
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Oops. I meant Celestun, not Chetumal.
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No idea if this would be helpful or not but I did a trip report after our first trip to Merida. Back from Cancun and Merida

We went a second time (we have a friend who lives there) and our firiend took us to Celestun, which we did not do on our first trip. It was a good day trip. We hired a boat and saw the flamingos and also it took us through some mangroves.

We thoroughly enjoyed Merida.
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 11:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks, tom42! I will take a look at your TR.