Search

iceland

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2023, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iceland

We are planning a 7 day trip to iceland in oct 24 and we are 2 couples in their 60s.
Can we get an itetinery for the trip.
we are from India and 2 of us are vegeterians. We love to drive by car .but could try a camper for 4 for a couple of days if feasible.
Northern lights are a must see

Pl suggest
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 05:30 AM
P_M

Hello. I completely understand wanting to see the Northern Lights, as that was a bucket list wish of mine. I was there in March and I learned early on that the Lights are not a guarantee. The best way to see them is to be away from all city lights, make sure it's completely dark, and look at the sky late at night. Once you get there, please google Northern Lights forecast for Iceland to determine what are your chances for that night. I was there for about 8 nights and I was fortunate enough to see the lights twice. One of those times was at 3am, the other was closer to midnight.

I'm not a camper so I'll let someone else address that. As for the itinerary, I did the ring road which was great. I recommend looking up the waterfalls as those were something I really enjoyed. No matter where you go, you'll have great scenery.
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Vegetarian is going to be an issue, but don't give up you will not starve

https://www.campervanreykjavik.com/p...ian-in-iceland

to complicate your surfing you will find that the UK has a supermarket called Iceland (it used to be owned by the Icelandic government) so avoid iceland.co.uk
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 07:38 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Skyr, Skyr, Skyr!

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat eggs, fish, seafood, or much meat...in other words, I have numerous "food barriers". I didn't starve in Iceland, although I didn't eat particularly well either.

Pickings were definitely slim. Even my seafood, fish, egg, meat eating husband found the food a bit dire.

Soup is a popular option in restaurants in Iceland, and there's often a vegetarian option.

We brought some food with us (cereal bars, nuts, etc) and I ate a whole lot of Skyr, which was absolutely the best part of Iceland for me.

Seven days will really limit how much you can do, especially in October. Don't even consider a Ring Road trip, not even remotely enough time.

Last edited by Melnq8; Dec 6th, 2023 at 07:42 AM.
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 06:34 PM

We were in Iceland for 9 days (on the ground, 11 days total) this September and managed to see quite a lot.

Does your 7 days include flight days? You will have only 9 hours of sunlight per day, so keep that in mind.

I can give you some suggestions if you can tell me how many days on the ground you will have.

Iceland is fantastic and I hope you can plan out a fabulous trip.
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

hi.
7 days are for iceland plus flight days
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 01:10 PM

7 days will enable you to see a lot of Iceland.

We followed Highway 1, which takes you all round Iceland. You can add and subtract sights/detours as your time allows. You will be rushed, especially with the reduced daylight hours. If you want to do a leisurely trip, you could just do the Golden Circle. You will have a better chance (never 100% guaranteed) to see the Northern Lights in the more remote areas.

I started with a guidebook:
Fodor's, of course
Rick Steves
DK
A fold-out map is also great for planning (you can use your phone maps when you travel)

We are very experienced travelers in Europe, but knew absolutely nothing about Iceland. So this is how we tackled the itinerary: First, leaf through the guide and make a list of everything that interests you. Mark the sites on a map. Google the distances from place to place - add 25% to the travel time Google suggests. Check opening times - most of the waterfalls, volcanoes, etc. are open 24 hours.

There were 3 in my group, and we rented apartments or houses/cabins every night. That way you can make breakfast and dinner to save money. I would not do a camper - you should have lots of choice for accommodation in October. But you do need to reserve at least 3 months in advance.

I have lots of tips and advice I could offer you. I'm sure you're experienced travelers, so I don't want to insult your intelligence. Just let me know if you have any questions as you plan. I will say this - you don't need to see every waterfall, every volcanic crater, every black sand beach. We did and by the end of our trip, we were exhausted.

I'm excited for you!