Chile and Argentina Itinerary Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2023, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Chile and Argentina for two weeks over the Christmas Holiday and would appreciate any advice. We are very outdoorsy people and do a lot of hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. I do have reservations for hotels except where noted, but I am still in the cancellation window
Day 1 Fly into Santiago in the morning, rent a car and drive to Temuco? No hotel reserved yet. Would this be a good stopping point?

Day 2 Drive to Pucón

Day 3 Hike Volcan Villarica

Day 4 Drive to Bariloche (we have arranged for paper work through rental company to cross the border

Days 5-8 Bariloche (still figuring out hikes and other activities)

Day 9 Drive to Puerto Varas- this will be Christmas Day- any ideas how busy the Paso Cardenal Border Crossing will be?

Day 10 Drive to Chiloé

Day 11 Chiloé

Day 12 Leave Chiloé to start driving back to Santiago (have not figured out a good stopping point yet)

Day 13 Arrive in Santiago and spend the night in the city? Have not reserved a hotel yet

Day 14 Fly out in the evening
Thank you in advance for your help!
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 03:13 PM

The best nature/hiking is in Southern Patagonia, i.e., Torres del Paine in Chile and El Chalten in Argentina. Not sure if you've been there already and/or considered it and/or are generally set with what you have, but just throwing it out there...
Old Dec 10th, 2023, 11:54 PM

Based on my own experience, I'd say skip Temuco and head straight to Pucón for some awesome outdoor adventures. Bariloche is perfect for hiking, especially the Cerro Campanario and Circuito Chico trails. Just a heads up, the Paso Cardenal Border Crossing can get crazy busy on Christmas Day, so try to start early to beat the crowds. Chiloé is a must-visit, don't forget to check out those cool wooden churches and go on a boat tour to see the penguins on Isla de Chiloé. If you need a stopover on your way back to Santiago, Villarrica or Pucón are both great choices with tons of outdoor activities. Spending a night in Santiago is a good call, lots to explore there. Consider staying at Hotel Magnolia, it's a fancy boutique hotel in the city center. Make sure to book ahead so you don't miss out. This article helped me a bunch when I was planning my Chile trip, so if you've got time, give it a look: https://gowithguide.com/blog/tourism-in-chile-statistics-2023 Have a safe and awesome journey, mate! ✈️