Analysis Paralysis for Base in Southern France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2023, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned home from a three week trip to Sicily this fall, which was wonderful, but more challenging than we would have preferred. (Long story)At any rate, we are booked to return to Italy, (got good airfare to Rome, so we jumped on it quite a while ago)in May. We decided to go to the Piedmont area. We were going to begin our trip on the Italian Riviera, but now have thought that we would like to switch to France instead. We have 18 days on the ground between May 15 and and June 2 so we were thinking of spending 6 or 7 of those days in-the south of France. Our other two destinations are Turin and La Morra in Italy. I know there is one French holiday on May 20 that will fall during our vacation and of course there is the Monaco Grand Prix and the Cannes film festival, that no doubt will make the area even more crowded than normal. But we are trying to arm ourselves with as much information as possible (have read Stu’s report, amazing) before we decide where to base ourselves. We also haven’t chosen which part of the 18 days we will spend in France. Originally we had settled on Villefranche Sur Mer, but I read now that it is a cruise stop and on days when cruises are there it’s crazy busy. We would prefer a smaller town, or even a village, which is why we had initially ruled out Nice, but I suppose, if we found the right accommodation , it might be a possibility as well. We would also prefer to choose just one spot as opposed to moving. So, can anyone (who is still reading&#128514 recommend a good base for Southern France for 6 or 7 days and perhaps even a great accommodation spot. Thanks so much!!!
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 06:51 AM

Antibes would be a good choice if you don't want to stay in Nice. Here is where we are staying in Nice this coming June.

https://www.nicepebbles.com/nice-fra...t/rentals/416/

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 06:53 AM

You don't mention if you will have a car or not. If you won't have a car, then I would probably opt for Nice since it will be easier to get around. Also be aware that the Cannes Film Festival will be running from May 14-25th 2024, so that will affect how busy the area around there is, and the pricing for accommodations near Cannes. If you prefer a hotel, I used to stay at the Holiday Inn right near the Nice Airport called Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var. It is right on the water and there are some nice little restaurants in that area and it is handy if you have a car. Saint Laurent Du Var itself is kind of a suburb of Nice, so looking at hotels and apartments in that area could be a good choice. Since we almost always travel by car, we prefer to stay out of city centers-or book places with garage parking. Lots of folks like to base in Antibes, but with Cannes so near, that might not be the best choice.

I personally prefer parts of Southern France that are further away from Nice like Uzès, in the Gard bordering Provence, but it depends on what you want to see in Southern France and how you are going to get there. It sounds like you are going to Italy after, so maybe staying closer to Nice will work better for you.
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuDudley
Antibes would be a good choice if you don't want to stay in Nice. Here is where we are staying in Nice this coming June.

https://www.nicepebbles.com/nice-fra...t/rentals/416/

Stu Dudley
We have been to Antibes and it is definitely lovely. Husband doesn’t like to repeat places. We will have a car. Is there parking nearby in the accommodation you mentioned do you know? Also, you mentioned a few Hill towns in your 2017 itinerary information. I take it from what you said that basing there might be a lot of driving for a smaller amount of pay off?
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpie
You don't mention if you will have a car or not. If you won't have a car, then I would probably opt for Nice since it will be easier to get around. Also be aware that the Cannes Film Festival will be running from May 14-25th 2024, so that will affect how busy the area around there is, and the pricing for accommodations near Cannes. If you prefer a hotel, I used to stay at the Holiday Inn right near the Nice Airport called Holiday Inn Nice - Saint Laurent Du Var. It is right on the water and there are some nice little restaurants in that area and it is handy if you have a car. Saint Laurent Du Var itself is kind of a suburb of Nice, so looking at hotels and apartments in that area could be a good choice. Since we almost always travel by car, we prefer to stay out of city centers-or book places with garage parking. Lots of folks like to base in Antibes, but with Cannes so near, that might not be the best choice.

I personally prefer parts of Southern France that are further away from Nice like Uzès, in the Gard bordering Provence, but it depends on what you want to see in Southern France and how you are going to get there. It sounds like you are going to Italy after, so maybe staying closer to Nice will work better for you.
Hi, and thanks for this. Somehow in all of my information, I neglected to mention that we will indeed have a car. So finding parking somewhere nearby where we stay will be very important. We absolutely loved Uzes, when we were there about seven years ago. We like to try new places otherwise, I would definitely consider. And you are also correct, we do have to get back to Italy, so even though we don’t have to stay right in Nice, we don’t want to venture too far afield. I will look into your suggestion for the supper, but you mentioned.
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 08:17 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you looked at Menton? It's lovely, a bit lower key than the Monaco/Nice area, and if you're headed to Italy afterwards, it's right down the street.
Old Nov 13th, 2023, 08:21 AM

In 2015 when we rented another apt in the same area (near the Negresco) for 2 weeks, we did not have a car the first week, but had one for the second week. We parked it in a big garage for a weekly rate with "in & out" privileges. It was within 3 blocks of our apt.

We've stayed in hotels near St Paul for several days on several occasions, and 2 visits in a Gite in St Jeannet for 2 weeks each. It was difficult to drive into Nice & find parking. Especially on a work day with others driving into Nice to work.

PS
We were in the Luberon in Provence for a month this past June. I updated my Provence itinerary with info about this trip. If you are going to the Luberon, let me know & I'll attach the itinerary to this post.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 11:16 AM

Having a car I would consider staying inland and avoid the more crowded seaside. One year we chose to stay at a B&B near Cabris, one of the perched villages, and visited the coast

as well as some of the interior towns and villages

We also stayed in Menton and were lucky to find street parking. But the drive from Menton to various sits along the coast is best done using the autoroute which does not offer a seaside view. From Menton we did not cover the coast beyond Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat to visit the Villa Ephrussi and the nearby Villa Kérylos

If staying in Menton, don't miss the salles des mariages in the Hôtel de Ville.

If I were to stay in that area again, I would choose a location in the arrière pays between Nice and Cannes.
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 01:37 PM

We loved staying at La Perouse the many storied hotel, newly renovated but still built into the mountain just around the bend from Villefranche on the Med, lovely rooftop terrace, great restaurant and bar service, pool and al fresco dining, balconies or large patio rooms (or guess some have neither). We were first there 30 years ago! Villefranche is a tiny village. Nice is so convenient with its tram, restaurants, train (back to Paris) and access to all of the Riviera. Easy 20 min drive to St. Paul de Vence (plan to dine at Cote D'or but staying up there is way too remote for us. Easy drives to Eze/Monaco to east or to St. Tropez to the west from Nice. Fun strolling the Promenade, now wider and safer, and old Nice always charming. Also the Chagall Musee just up the hill, or the Picasso in Antibes easy to visit. Lots of choices.....