European Art, Museums and Exhibitions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2023, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

It’s been a while since I started an annual thread and my recent travels have inspired me to do this one. I hope those who enjoyed previous threads will come back and share on this.

Met Museum NYC — Manet/Degas….holy cow. This exhibition is EPIC. It is enormous, exhaustive and exhausting! I don’t think I’ve been to a show this big and complete since the Monet exhibition in Paris in 2010. I feel like an expert on both artists now. There are some truly special loans here and a whole lot that I had never seen before or will likely see again. I’m glad we made the trip. We were there midday on a Tuesday. They do the electronic queueing (scan it down in the lobby, there are no scanners up on the second floor where the show is) and we had to wait 1/2 hour. It was moderately crowded, but we really only noticed that at the smaller etchings. Overall this is incredibly well done and makes a good case for them being frenemies despite there being very little historical documentation proving that they were. On until Jan 2024. As a bonus, Leighton’s Flaming June is just outside the entrance to the Manet/Degas show while it is on long term loan while its home museum is under renovations. She is simply gorgeous.

On my to do list:
MFA Boston — Fashioned by Sargent on until Jan 15, 2024, and Strong Women in Renaissance Italy on until January 7, 2024. I’m more excited by the latter but will of course go to anything Sargent.

Any other museum news/ideas/exhibitions???
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, amyb, for this thread once again. And your comments on Manet/Degas are timely for me as I and two friends plan to see the exhibit on a Monday in November. We were planning to arrive at the Met at, or just before, 10 am to be among the first to enter. Would you agree with this approach or do you have other suggestions?

iIn August my husband and I went to Western New York to see the recently opened addition to the Albright Knox, now named the AKG. While I don’t like the juxtaposition of the new structure next to the classical building and the sleek minimalist black box wing from the early ‘60s, the interior is wonderful space for the Still acquisition and other work. Old favorites are in the original building and the Common Sky area will be versatile for restaurant seating and other uses.

The new addition

One of the Still pieces

In the original building

The Common Sky space
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 01:29 PM

Thanks for this, amyb. I'm happily jealous of your Met trip! The upcoming MFA JSS also.

I have nothing to tell you about so I'll brag about Annapolis. Its Maryland Hall is an arts and music center. Symphony, Opera, Galleries, classes, open studios, and artist residencies.
https://www.marylandhall.org/
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In the spring, DC's Phillip's Collection will host a major Pierre Bonnard exhibition.

https://www.phillipscollection.org/e...onnards-worlds
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 02:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow. Thank you for this new thread Amy!

I’m intrigued by the Manet/Degas AND the Bonnard and will try to get to both.
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 03:37 PM

We saw the Manet/Degas at Musee d'Orsay in May. As amyb said, it was EPIC. And I also have the MFA exhibits on my list.
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by k_marie
Thanks, amyb, for this thread once again. And your comments on Manet/Degas are timely for me as I and two friends plan to see the exhibit on a Monday in November. We were planning to arrive at the Met at, or just before, 10 am to be among the first to enter. Would you agree with this approach or do you have other suggestions?
Yes, I probably would do that. You can actually scan into the virtual queue before you even buy your admission tickets or while one of you is buying tickets. The scanner is just to the right of the main staircase, to the left of the self-purchase ticket kiosks. It wasn’t clearly marked when we were there.

Loved to see the Albright Knox. I haven’t been there. Interesting when an institution combines the old and new architecture like that!

obx, thanks for the heads up on Bonnard at the Phillips, I didn’t know that!
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Last month I saw Edvard Munch Trembling Earth at the Clark Institute in Williamstown, MA. It focused on Munch’s landscapes and how he used those to channel human emotions. Much of it was from the Munch Museum in Oslo (almost made me wonder if that was closed for renovation!). It was good sized with a lot of Munch oeuvre I don’t normally get to see. It is off to Potsdam in November (Museum Barberini) and then the Munch Museum next spring/summer, if anyone is nearby and interested in seeing it in their travels. It was really interesting.
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 05:10 PM

hi amy - I’ve been to the Munch museum in Oslo. Enjoyed it very much. It was in a kind of low level, older building. Wouldn’t surprise me if it were undergoing renovations. Wishing you good travels!
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 04:00 AM

Thanks for starting this thread.

We haven't been to many art museums this year but have visited a lot of historic houses including Frank Lloyd Wright's Kentuck Knob.

I hope to get to the MFA exhibits before they close.
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 04:13 AM

Looks like the Munch exhibit at the Clark Institute ended 10/15. But nice to have that museum (and town) on my radar. I always enjoy museums in college towns. Williams College has its own museum. Looks like there is a rail trail gor walking in the area too. It’s about 2.5 hours from me, so perfect for a day trip.
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 04:49 AM

Definitely plan to go to the Clark. It has a good permanent collection, too, and its own walking trails
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the endorsement VT!!
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Gruezi, the Clark is within walking distance of Williams College. It also has a lot of walking trails on the museum campus. It’s worth spending time there beyond the museum itself, imo especially in nice weather. As VT says they do have an excellent permanent collection (some stunning Sargents!) and I find that they always do an excellent job with exhibitions.
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 08:00 AM

Amy, we just enjoyed the 'Toulouse-Lautrec et les Maitres de L'Affiche' exhibit at the newly-renovated Muse des Beaux Artes in Quimper, Brittany. It was interesting and well-presented. Many original prints and posters, including those of his fellow artists. The absinthe ads were amusing. There were also others of note found elsewhere (Picasso, Whistler, Modigliani, Cocteau) plus some quality sculpture.

Pont-Aven's similar Gaugin museum was also just renovated and a wide range of excellent imagery was on its walls. Its special exhibit was of Female Travelers, with numerous compelling examples of exotica. Unfortunately, somebody in attendance (a visitor? a guard? a guide?) did not prioritize personal hygiene that day and the olfactory results were brutal--we literally fled one crowded room to save our nostrils.

The equivalent museum in Vannes seemed instead to be all about modern art installations--so corny that one quick glance through the entry was enough.
Our itinerary actually included a number of Basse Bretagne locations that were major inspirations for noted artists: the Bois d'Amour in Pont-Aven (the exact site of Gaugin's 'bathing boys'); Douarnenez (Renoir, Boudin), the Crozon peninsula and the Breton Riviera.

I am done. the art
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 08:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Recently viewed the contemporary Native American art exhibit at the National Gallery, "The Land Carries Our Ancestors." https://wapo.st/3sdUCAx
It's a small exhibit but with unusual range. Not all the work was to my taste, but I found much of it stimulating and revealing, not to mention witty.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

@Moderators, I think this is best in the Lounge. The past several of these annual threads I've started stayed there because many of us travel for exhibitions outside the US, and we do have non-US posters here who participate as well. Putting it in the US forum is exclusionary of our non-US art friends.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 05:08 AM

Thank you so much for this topic! So many ideas where to go for the weekend.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 06:51 AM

Mods--wot Amy said.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 06:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Be careful, or we'll end up in Travel Tips . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -