Search

Bucket List Safari Trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2023, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bucket List Safari Trip

I'm (63 yrs) just in the beginning stages of planning a South African trip for June 2024. I'm going with my best friend, and bringing my 2 daughters, (both in their 20s). I live in California, but my daughters are in different cities. Yup, a girls' trip! (My husband doesn't want to go.) My friend has been on 2 safaris in Africa before, but the rest of us are new to this.

We have about 2 weeks to work with, and this is the tentative plan. 4 days on a private reserve near Kruger, 3 days in Cape Town, 2 days in Stellenbosch, and maybe 3 days in either Tswalu Reserve in the Kalahari or else 3 days in Madikwe Reserve.

I've been reading here a great deal, as well as a few other sites. Fodorites give the best advice! We have champagne tastes, but likely have to work with a less than extravagant budget, since I'm paying for 3 of us. That being said, my budget is probably 3.5-4 stars.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have,
Old Oct 29th, 2023, 07:22 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Some general thoughts...

It's going to be winter, which means the dry season in the Kruger region and the other reserves, but wetter and potentially a bit chilly in the Western Cape. Expect San Francisco-like winter conditions, which of course isn't all bad...

No experience with Tswalu - looks very nice but very expensive. We stayed twice in Madikwe, both times at the Buffalo Ridge lodge, which was lovely, and had (to us) a big advantage of being community owned. Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge in the Madikwe Game Reserve

How will you be getting about? Note that charter flights to the various locations can be quite pricey. We always rented a car; don't know if you'd be comfortable doing so, but I'd do some research on how to get around and between the various locations. Remember that daylight will be relatively short as you approach midwinter.

You're going to have blast! Happy planning!
Old Oct 29th, 2023, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply!

We are planning to use a (hopefully local) company to book our transportation within South Africa, and possibly the safaris as well. I feel comfortable enough to book my own hotels and car service/Uber in Cape Town & Stellenbosch. I have seen mentioned here a referral for Liesl Mathews at Southern Destinations, so that is a possibility.

I neglected to mention that my husband has a work friend in South Africa, and she has already given me a great deal of advice, including restaurants and sights for the non-safari portion of our trip. If this is any indication, I'm expecting a once in a lifetime experience of beauty, wonderful people, & great food and wine.
Old Oct 29th, 2023, 10:49 AM

Cape Town weather is notoriously fickle, so plan anything dependent upon weather (eg Table Mountain & Robben Island) early in your stay, and be prepared to change your itinerary if necessary. Views from the top of Table Mountain are beautiful, but when the “Tablecloth” covers the top, or strong winds close the cableway you’ll have to wait for another day. Sometimes ferries to Robben Island are cancelled when wind and waves are strong.

A useful website for Table Mountain, where you can buy tickets and get wind and visibility reports is:
https://tablemountain.net/

I’ve been to Cape Town in spring, summer and autumn, but never in winter. My in-laws who live there say that much of the time winter in CT is like summer in England (where I live), but unlike Kruger, winter is the rainy season in the Cape. Believe it or not, some times there is snow in the mountains just north of Cape Town.
Old Oct 29th, 2023, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

I noticed that about the weather in Cape Town. That's why I shortened our stay there, and decided to spend more time on safari. Thanks for the link for Table Mountain!

Does anyone have an opinion on Tswalu Reserve in Kalahari vs Madikwe Reserve, both for weather & which animals we would see in either place?
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by luckyinla
Does anyone have an opinion on Tswalu Reserve in Kalahari vs Madikwe Reserve, both for weather & which animals we would see in either place?
Like I said above, I have no experience with Tswalu. However, I'd imagine that the weather in June will be quite similar in both Tswalu and Madikwe. Both are on the Kalahari fringe and I'd imagine you'll have clear and warm days and somewhat chilly nights, similar to high desert locations in southern California at the comparable time of year (i.e. early December.)

In terms of wildlife, judging from the Tswalu website - Wildlife at Tswalu Kalahari Reserve │Tswalu Kalahari I'd expect the diversity to be somewhat lower than at Madikwe, which has a wider range of terrain types. But of course, a list of local species says nothing about what you'll actually see on game drives or walks. Madikwe is more developed, with more roads and more visitors (not as much as Kruger and its nearby private reserves) so I'd imagine the "effective" diversity will be higher in Madikwe, if for no other reason than its accessibility.

Now this may be of no interest, but it might be worth a few minutes to look at a wildlife setting in a rather different climate zone. Both the Kruger area and Madikwe or Tswalu areas will be quite dry in June. Tswalu will be the most arid, the Kruger area the least, but they'll all be pretty dry. But you might have a look at Addo Elephant National Park, which is located close to the Indian Ocean coast at the top of the beautiful "Garden Route" which extends from Gqeberha (formerly Port Elizabeth) south and west to the winelands and Cape Town. Addo is one of the largest national parks and is home - not surprisingly - to vast numbers of elephants, but also to many other species including big cats, lots of antelope, birds, etc. Addo can be visited with a lodge-based setting, or explored independently in private vehicles. From Addo it's a couple of easy days' drive to places like Stellenbosch or Franschhoek in the Winelands. Map - https://maps.app.goo.gl/xAbuixhHpztmEYNK7 . There are also numerous inexpensive scheduled flights between Port Elizabeth International Airport (PLZ) and Cape Town daily. Just a thought, anyway.

A couple of photos for reference. All were taken (a couple of different trips) in midwinter.

Madikwe -

Addo

Along the Garden Route

Old Oct 30th, 2023, 10:53 AM

Wow, Gardyloo!!! Gorgeous photo of the sunbird!
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 11:36 AM

Did you figure out your private reserve in Kruger? Sabi Sands is top notch. Several of the lodges there though, are very expensive so you might need to look around a bit. We did Timbavati private reserve (also adjacent to Kruger) and it was great. Would gladly recommend.
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

You really do give great advice! And thanks for the photos. You've given us food for thought. I had read about Addo, and now i will do a bit more homework. It may now be between that and Madikwe. You got me with inexpensive flights
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

I am definitely interested in Sabi Sands, so I will definitely research your recommendation! Thanks for your suggestion.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 05:35 AM

I had been to Sa a few times before my partner, after retiring, joined me.
All my trips have been planned by Liesl and she is a marvel!

The first trip I took with my partner was a combo of CapeTown with day trip to Wineland's, and then to Londolozi (Salt Sands)....I think this is among the top game reserves in Africa and one of my fave places in the world.

Same trip included 4 nights Tswalu..highly recommend...the night drives allow you to see some animals less visible in other areas.

As you know, and Gardyloo (Africa expert here)reiterated, these lodges are very expensive. To me, it was well worth the price, and partner, who had never been to Africa, called that trip "life changing." Not sure if I wrote any report about that trip here but am more than happy to answer questions about Sabi Sands or Tswalu....In Sabi Sands, do not overlook Londolozi!!!! By now I've been to many lodges inSA, Bots, Zimbabwe, and I think Londo is at the top of my own personal list......

You are very fortunate to be able to plan this trip!

Old Nov 1st, 2023, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

I agree I am very fortunate!

I have been looking at Londolozi, and agree it is expensive, but also looks amazing. I think I'll pick my top 3 places to stay in each location we are visiting, and see what is available. I'm already noticing that some lodges are sold out for June of 2024. Also, I appreciate your insight to Tswalu. It was recommended to us, but you are the first person I've encountered who has actually been there! I think I will be flexible to see whether Madikwe or Tswalu has availability during our visit.

I'm already playing with the days in each location to maximize everyone's wishes on the trip. Our top priority is the two safaris! After that comes everything else. I'm also intrigued by the garden route. I guess the real problem is so much to see (a good problem) and do while we are somewhat limited by time & money.

Any input on days in each location is welcome, as well as any must see locations I haven't thought mentioned.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 08:46 AM

You need to be warned that you will be addicted the moment you see your first beast from the jeep. So start thinking about what you want to see on the second trip. And third.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
You need to be warned that you will be addicted the moment you see your first beast from the jeep. So start thinking about what you want to see on the second trip. And third.
I already get that! That's why my friend who has been on 2 safari trips before, told me when I was ready to go, "she's in"!
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 01:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
And #7... I am addicted to nothing else in life like I am this. It is ridiculous.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 02:44 PM

I made a mistake above..I wrote "Salt Sands" when I meant Sabi Sands. I think Tswalu would offer a far different environment than Madikwe so if you are going to SS, I would choose Tswalu....

In Londolozi, I stayed both times at Pioneer Camp....it's at the end of the row of camps so very secluded and we ADORED it...Adored!!!!!! But all their camps are great and the prices vary with Varty, I think, being the most economical. The guiding is great at Londo.. I've looked at all their camps..they are strung out along a walkway facing the river...honestly the place, for me, was heaven on earth. But all of SS is fabulous (I stayed once at Lion Sands Ivory but I think Lion Sands had done some renovation or added some new accommodations.....that was the first place Ii went in Sabi Sands...). Honestly you cannot go wrong, in SS or anywhere in Kruger area although I've only been to the Sabi Sands lodges.

You might even take a look at the Blue Train but I went on that trip about 15 years ago or so so surely a lot has changed since then....

The great thing about Tswalu is that you are guaranteed your own private vehicle and guide.....most other places you have to pay a lot extra for this privilege. The landscape there is VERY different there than in Sabi....and you have those night drives..... And the BEST thing, one of the best experiences I've had in a very well traveled life, was seeing the meerkats at Tswalu....with no other tourists around......I could not say in words what I thought of that! I think you can see them, habituated, is at Jacks' or at Tswalu but I might be wrong. Take a good look at the Tswalu websites and their blogs....we were able to have two separate viewings with those creatures and I will never forget it......

https://tswalu.com/experience-tswalu...at-experience/

Also, you can do a sleep out at Tswalu although when I was there this meant only sleeping on. bed outside your cottage.....indescribable. I've only ever done this once after that, in Zimbabwe, where they drove us to a platform and we spent the night in a bed overlooking the plains....honestly when Southern Africa gets in your blood you are finished! Be forewarned!@!!!

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tri...afari-zimbabwe

If you want another option to combine with SS, take a look at Jack's in Botswana, but with that you need to go through and probably overnight, in J'Burg.....

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Nov 1st, 2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amyb
And #7... I am addicted to nothing else in life like I am this. It is ridiculous.
Haha! I already realize I can't do it all in one trip
Old Nov 1st, 2023, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
I made a mistake above..I wrote "Salt Sands" when I meant Sabi Sands. I think Tswalu would offer a far different environment than Madikwe so if you are going to SS, I would choose Tswalu....

In Londolozi, I stayed both times at Pioneer Camp....it's at the end of the row of camps so very secluded and we ADORED it...Adored!!!!!! But all their camps are great and the prices vary with Varty, I think, being the most economical. The guiding is great at Londo.. I've looked at all their camps..they are strung out along a walkway facing the river...honestly the place, for me, was heaven on earth. But all of SS is fabulous (I stayed once at Lion Sands Ivory but I think Lion Sands had done some renovation or added some new accommodations.....that was the first place Ii went in Sabi Sands...). Honestly you cannot go wrong, in SS or anywhere in Kruger area although I've only been to the Sabi Sands lodges.

You might even take a look at the Blue Train but I went on that trip about 15 years ago or so so surely a lot has changed since then....

The great thing about Tswalu is that you are guaranteed your own private vehicle and guide.....most other places you have to pay a lot extra for this privilege. The landscape there is VERY different there than in Sabi....and you have those night drives..... And the BEST thing, one of the best experiences I've had in a very well traveled life, was seeing the meerkats at Tswalu....with no other tourists around......I could not say in words what I thought of that! I think you can see them, habituated, is at Jacks' or at Tswalu but I might be wrong. Take a good look at the Tswalu websites and their blogs....we were able to have two separate viewings with those creatures and I will never forget it......

https://tswalu.com/experience-tswalu...at-experience/

Also, you can do a sleep out at Tswalu although when I was there this meant only sleeping on. bed outside your cottage.....indescribable. I've only ever done this once after that, in Zimbabwe, where they drove us to a platform and we spent the night in a bed overlooking the plains....honestly when Southern Africa gets in your blood you are finished! Be forewarned!@!!!

https://www.travelandleisure.com/tri...afari-zimbabwe

If you want another option to combine with SS, take a look at Jack's in Botswana, but with that you need to go through and probably overnight, in J'Burg.....
I figured "salt" was just autocorrect!
I'm definitely trying to fit Londolozi into the budget, but I'm worried that will make Tswalu too unaffordable. We're hoping to spend 4 nights on each safari, but maybe I can cut one to 3 nights. Will that still be worth it? An outdoor bed sounds divine! We're also hoping for an outdoor shower at one or both of the lodges.
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 04:48 AM

Three nights is fine....I like four better but three will be great. Tswalu and Londo both had outdoor showers, at least Londo did in the Pioneer Camp. I think many of the upscale lodges will have this....

One more small thing: Do not be swayed by the plunge pools. I stayed in many places that had them and they were always freezing cold. Not worth paying extra for.

Look at the 2 Londolozi older camps, one is Varty (the family was actually there once for a wedding when we were there! Read up about this family..) and the other I think, is Founder's. ALL of their camps are great and pricing varies quite a bit. So do not fixate on which of their camps you choose....the focus is o the game and all the camps use the same level of guides and all thee food is wonderful.....

Ask Liesl...she knows it all!!
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ekscrunchy
Three nights is fine....I like four better but three will be great. Tswalu and Londo both had outdoor showers, at least Londo did in the Pioneer Camp. I think many of the upscale lodges will have this....

One more small thing: Do not be swayed by the plunge pools. I stayed in many places that had them and they were always freezing cold. Not worth paying extra for.

Look at the 2 Londolozi older camps, one is Varty (the family was actually there once for a wedding when we were there! Read up about this family..) and the other I think, is Founder's. ALL of their camps are great and pricing varies quite a bit. So do not fixate on which of their camps you choose....the focus is o the game and all the camps use the same level of guides and all thee food is wonderful.....

Ask Liesl...she knows it all!!
You have been so helpful! Now that I have my basic itinerary, time to see how much it will cost & then make adjustments if needed. Fingers crossed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -