Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What other areas of Europe have the spirit of "la dolce vita" like in Tuscany, Italy?

Search

What other areas of Europe have the spirit of "la dolce vita" like in Tuscany, Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2023, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I loved the slow pace in Tuscany. The gorgeous scenery, the nature, the old beautiful towns, the delicious food and wine!! So amazing. What other areas in Europe have the spirit of la dolce vita?
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 08:44 PM

What does "la dolce vita" mean to you? The literal definition of "la dolce vita" is "the sweet life," and a bit hard to truly achieve in a single trip but rather a series of life moments, so to speak.. I suppose that a vacation with the goal of "la dolce vita" is simply by what you make of it, no matter where you go.

It is different for everyone, so therefore a bit difficult to suggest around it. Not to mention, the very minimum that you describe could be...just about anywhere. You can have beautiful views, great food and wine and a slow pace of travel just by doing that. It can be done in Germany for instance (perhaps not well known for the food) but it has just about everything else you mentioned...
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 08:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
See my post on your other thread
Old Oct 17th, 2023, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by baker2er
My husband and I loved the slow pace in Tuscany. The gorgeous scenery, the nature, the old beautiful towns, the delicious food and wine!! So amazing. What other areas in Europe have the spirit of la dolce vita?
That just sounds like large parts of rural Europe during the nicer weather. I guess the modern Green Acres?
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 01:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Certainly that attitude continues in most of Italy, I find the Tuscans (if that is the right English word for them) a bit too much "get up and go" for la dolce vita. The Pugliese, on the other hand, are perfect for it.

Germany struggles with that sort of thing, even in rural parts, you might find it in Corsica and will find it in parts of northern Spain away from the cities
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 01:55 AM

Kind of funny. I always found the idea that everything is closed on Sunday in Germany and often opens late to be the opposite of get up and go.
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 03:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
Kind of funny. I always found the idea that everything is closed on Sunday in Germany and often opens late to be the opposite of get up and go.
Germans are very serious about their non-work time and very serious about their work time
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 12:23 PM

Just about all small cities in Spain and Italy, to begin with! And large cities, too.
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 04:34 PM

We found that we enjoyed Umbria just as much, possibly more, than Tuscany. It has all the things you mentioned, so consider that area if you want to stay in Italy.
Old Oct 18th, 2023, 07:39 PM

This would apply to so many places Europe, though in some places the wine would not be local. Le Pays Catalan, from Perpignan and Collioure up to Prats de Mollo through Vernets les Bains, Molitg, and Villefranche le Conflent is one example of what you are looking for. Stop in Maury for their superb vin doux naturel on the way to Chateau de Peyrepertuse.
Old Oct 19th, 2023, 03:14 PM

I think the answer depends on who is the person traveling.

i live in Manhattan and I can find Dolce Vita here....I imagine this vague idea could be found any place depending on one's state of mind..
WHAT DOES LA DOLCE VITA mean to you? Are you looking for this on a vacation of a week or two, or to actually LIVE in another country??? Stay in a fine resort anywhere in the world and la dolce vita will be yours!! Rent an aprtment in a small town where life is slow...are you really wiling to do that? What if there is spotty wifi?

Tuscany would not be the place that would come to my mind..for one thins the region is too large and varied and by beginning this thread it seems as if you are not a seasoned traveler which I hope you will be sometime very soon!!

You want to hand around locals and relax, keeping in mind that everything will be closed between 2pm and 5pm, even the pharmacies? Go to almost any small town in Italy!

Read the wonderful book: SEASONS OF BASILICATA to understand what dolce vita means in southern Italy....the good and the bad.
There are many books along those lines written by foreigners who come to reside in italy..

Amazon Amazon

Also great, about an Australian who moved to Puglia:

Head Over Heel: Seduced by Southern Italy Paperback – May 2, 2017

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Oct 19th, 2023 at 03:19 PM.
Old Oct 20th, 2023, 05:39 AM

"I think the answer depends on who is the person traveling."

Fellini's La Dolce Vita was about partying in Rome, so I was surprised about that in relationship with Tuscany. But the OP did explain what is being sought after.