Search

Caribbean cruise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caribbean cruise

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to do a carribean cruise July 2024. In the past ive done carnival cruises but would like to try royal Caribbean cruise line.

I am traveling with my husband and this would be his first cruise, so I'd like him to have a great experience.

I am open to any suggestions!
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:55 PM

First suggestion is to do the cruise sometime from Jan through late April or early May, definitely not July. As a matter of fact, many ships leave the Caribbean during Summer and move to Northern Europe and the Med, so you would have fewer choices in the Caribbean in Summer. Don’t know where you live, but it is lovely to escape Northern U.S. winter by going to the Caribbean then.

Do a 7 day cruise. For me, 5 is just barely enough to get acclimated to the ship and the ocean, not quite enough to relax, especially for a first timer.

Do you mind flying to the departure port? Do you have a preferred departure port?
Is ship size important to you, mega ship or smaller? Does age of ship matter to you? Food? Budget? Drink package?
What kinds of activities do you enjoy? Things on the ship? Partying, entertainment, etc. or days on a beach or sightseeing the different islands? Basically, what is most important to you?
We enjoy all of it, but we love cruises to the Southern Caribbean with different islands every day.

Departing from San Juan is a great, first cruise experience and RCCL has one that does that. Just giving it as an example because the itinerary is wonderful.
https://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=19791

Depending on your age and tastes, you might also like Norwegian or Celebrity.

If you must go in Summer, consider Bermuda rather than the Caribbean. https://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=36627 (just one example)

It is certainly convenient if you live near a port, to take a cruise that does not require flights. However, if you have time and budget, that cruise from SJ would be a great choice, though, of course, not the only good one.

Old Oct 10th, 2023, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply to my message! I appreciate all the information you have given me.

I have been on 2 cruises and have loved the experience. i would like to try the royal carribean cruise ship, doesnt matter which one as long as the food is good and there are things to do like shows etc.

I live in Canada so I would have to fly to the port with is fine. My job only allows me to travel during the summer months.

I would like to do a couple excursions to experience some of the islands. I have also done the cruise leaving from San Juan and loved the variety of places I got to go.

I will check out those sites you sent.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 03:06 PM

Hi Beth21,

Are you a teacher?
I used to be. It does limit your travel options.
Our first cruise was also from SJ in Jan. It got us hooked on cruising. We just booked yesterday for next June to Bermuda. Prices have really gone up. My husband likes cruises more than me, but now I am older, and after isolating so long from Covid, just going anywhere will be nice. I do love ships and water.
Can you leave as early as late June. There might be more options.
Do you have a Spring Break? That is when we have taken most of our cruises to the Caribbean. Of course, you have a lot to consider with flights and weather. It is so iffy still, but more cruise options then and such wonderful weather in the Caribbean then.
How much time do you have? With such long distance flights anyway, and limited Caribbean cruises in Summer, you might even consider a Greek Island or European cruise.
I would be happy to check out a few options for you if you like, just need to know if cost is a concern and if a balcony is a must because they are nearly twice the price of an ocean view. If you are up early and off ship touring islands everyday, then a balcony might not be so important as on a cruise like Alaska where you see things from the ship. Also, big ship, newer ship, older ship, smaller ship, quiet ship, party ship? Asking because, though we like RCCL, other cruise lines might also work for you if they offer a great itinerary.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Oct 10th, 2023 at 04:02 PM.