Help me jump start Vancouver to Banff!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2023, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Small group in 70s just starting to plan an 8-10 day trip between Vancouver and Banff. Leaving from Texas, in April or May 2024 would like to concentrate on the highlights. Budget is also important but not "most Important". Just starting but cannot get past Rocky Mountaineer vs. independent travel. Appreciate your thoughts on:

1. Canadian Rockies by rail, rental car?
2. What are the places that should never be missed?
3. Hotels that are a must stay?
4. Can you rent a car in - say - Jasper and return it in Calgary?
5. Best restaurants along the way?
6. Etc.,

Appreciate help in getting me started on best way to see Canadian Rockies.
Old Sep 3rd, 2023, 10:36 AM

Your timeframe is still wintery in Banff. Also, chain-up requirements are in place Oct 1 - Apr 30. You might consider late May. Victoria Day will be May 20 in 2024 - we visited Vancouver for a week over Victoria Day some years ago. The weather then was spring-like, with intermittent rain but beautiful. That same time, friends of ours were in Banff and had snow on the ground and pretty cold. As for driving from Jasper to Banff, definitely I would say late May and not earlier. I've only driven it in fall and summer, but there's no cell service. Others can speak to this much better.

How much walking are you up for? What sort of activities/sights do you enjoy?

Old Sep 7th, 2023, 07:53 AM

Viarail passenger service through the various mountain chains will take you from Vancouver to Jasper, the further-north rival to Banff. The train then travels east to Edmonton and on across the Prairies. It is not a daily service but is the classic way to see the mountains, and lots of them. The Mountaineer offers much classier service, stopping at hotels so the travel is all in daylight. It is also far more expensive.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All you need to know about the ViaRail train, including photos (east to west): https://www.seat61.com/train-from-to...-vancouver.htm

I took it from Vancouver to Toronto with a stop in Jasper back in 2012 and loved it. The scenery was great, the food was good (better than Amtrak) and my one-person roomette was comfortable. If you want to go south from Jasper to Banff you should be able to find a coach tour or bus. (My report on the Vancouver to Jasper leg: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ils-to-jasper/ )

Seat61 has a couple of suggestions for booking tours, and with a group you should be able to get a private tour. You might also look at https://www.vacationsbyrail.com/
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 12:14 PM

I was at Lake Louise in Banff National Park in late April and early May 2022. It was basically still winter, people were skiing on the local mountains, and snow even fell. Hiking trails were snow covered and therefore inaccessible or closed entirely due to avalanche hazards. The lake was frozen solid. This is what it looked like:

If you want to come and see all the turquoise lakes melted, you need to plan for a mid June trip or later.

Saying that, only the Rockies (Banff and Jasper) will be wintery.

Vancouver will be mild, lush and green with late cherry blossoms, azaleas and rhododendrons in bloom. Vancouver and the Rockies have very different climates.

Last edited by BC_Robyn; Sep 8th, 2023 at 12:36 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 01:35 PM

Just as a comparison, here's what Vancouver's VanDusen Botanical Garden looks like in May:

Old Sep 17th, 2023, 05:44 PM

I have lived in BC and Alberta all of my 64 years. In both Banff and Jasper you are in the risk of a snow storm ANY month! This past June we were camping at Jasper and had a good 4-6” of wet heavy snowfall. That being said…May is a great time to see bears on the Icefields Parkway, also the Rockies are just a bit more impressive with some snow on them…IMO
Renting a car in Jasper, to my knowledge, not possible. However an hour east is the town of Hinton and rental cars are available there, but you will need to reserve.
Any highway you take east from Vancouver to Jasper and Banff in a beautiful experience!! If you have the time I suggest taking the Fraser Canyon out of Vancouver as opposed to the Coquihalla, just for beauty sake. Coquihalla is much quicker.
https://www.aaa.com/roadtrips/wester...ghway-SB565233
The Coquihalla from Hope to Kamloops or Merritt is just up and over the mountains…IMO not at all scenic. I would recommend going from Vancouver along the Fraser Canyon, through Kamloops, then Highway #5 to Jasper (you will need to book accommodation in Jasper and Banff as the both sell out quickly from May 1 on to October). The Trascanada Hwy #1 from Kamloops though the Shuswap, Revelstoke to L.Louise is spectacular as well. It is MUCH busier than Hwy 5, tho. Also Highway #3, Crows Nest is a beautiful drive, albeit slower than the aforementioned. Doesn’t really matter which way you choose, they are all beautiful for different reasons.
The highway from Banff right through to Jasper is a must see. It rates right up there with the world’s 10 most beautiful drives. We have driven that highway dozens of times and love it each trip!
There are many circle tour opportunities from Vancouver to Calgary, you just need to choose whichever appeals and whichever meets your time constraint.
Welcome to BC and Alberta…I am sure you will LOVE it
Old Sep 18th, 2023, 06:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Renting a car in Jasper appears entirely possible. For example: https://www.avis.ca/en/locations/ca/ab/jasper/yja

A quick search on "car rental jasper alberta" turned up others.
Old Nov 14th, 2023, 05:13 PM

Some really helpful and respectful advice here.
Waving at BC_Robyn.