Search

The "Chuck-It List"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2023, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The "Chuck-It List"

For some reason the term "bucket list" has always irritated me, so I was delighted to read this article in the Washington Post https://wapo.st/3EfRUwQ (gifted), about about admitting to yourself there are some things on your list that you'll never do. I immediately decided I am not going to purchase a cruising sailboat -- I have enough trouble with my little skiff. How about you?
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't like bucket lists and certainly don't have one, more of a go with the flow person.

I'll never visit New Zealand, or Australia or Canada or so many other places I once longed to go. I don't fly, mostly for climate reasons, but also because I came to hate the whole process. So flying is on my chuck it list.

I'm not going to ride a bike again. I can't do it. Three wheels good, two wheels fall off and hurt myself. Consequently a biking holiday is on the chuck it list.

I wish I could put gardening on the chuck it list.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 09:19 AM
P_M

It's hard to imagine I'll ever return to Russia, but I'm glad I went when it was more friendly with the US.

I've always wanted to see the Great Wall of China but I'll have to chuck it if they don't improve their air quality.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 09:19 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Never had a bucket list, so there's nothing to chuck
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Melnq8
Never had a bucket list, so there's nothing to chuck

Same here
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 09:52 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by P_M

I've always wanted to see the Great Wall of China but I'll have to chuck it if they don't improve their air quality.
Same.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 10:05 AM

Travel to Asia and South Pacific. Just too long a plane ride! Husband has been to Korea, Japan and China and when he got back, this was many years ago, he never said, "oh hon, we just have to go." Same for Africa, too old to worry about necessary shots, warring countries, also too far. Egypt still on my hoping-for list, we'll see. We have done several national parks, and perhaps will see a few more, but no desire to see all 59 or so of them. We have been very fortunate to travel to the places we did, and enjoyed every one of them, domestic and foreign.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 01:27 PM

Long haul nonstop fllights in economy class are out. Long haul being over 5 hours. The good news is the emergence of LCCs that have premium cabins. For example, Zipair lie-flat seats (too short for me, but roomy) to Japan and beyond. Premium economy seats are good.

I do have a travel bucket list. Machu Picchu has fallen off and Victoria Falls is barely hanging on.

A Corvette would be too hard to get out of now.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Aug 28th, 2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 03:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I like that the idea was originally a different (more appropriate word) that rhymes with chuck-it.

I have a long list of what I call “why bother” items. It’s been growing rapidly lately.

Aside from a number of “exotic” trips I won’t be taking (I’m looking at you, India), there are people I’m not going out of the way to see either. I purposely skipped a birthday party last weekend, and as I happily swam in my pool instead, future me was very grateful to the past me who made that decision.

Sometimes I do think this is a natural result of aging - a world shrinking down - and that’s concerning as I don’t want to become too insular. But a lot of it is that since Covid, many experiences became generally less satisfying and not worth the money or energy.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 04:24 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
As I’ve opined in my usual unopinionated way many times here, I’ve always found the bucket list thing to be lame, at best. But I admit to being genetically incapable of setting goals.

The thing I don’t get about bucket lists is what’s the benefit? Does going someplace that you’ve decided you have to visit make you a better person?
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by LucieV
As I’ve opined in my usual unopinionated way many times here, I’ve always found the bucket list thing to be lame, at best. But I admit to being genetically incapable of setting goals.

The thing I don’t get about bucket lists is what’s the benefit? Does going someplace that you’ve decided you have to visit make you a better person?
im not a bucket list person but people I know and love like having in mind a list of priorities and a goal. It’s got nothing to do with being a better person but just a way to structure things.

Old Aug 28th, 2023, 04:41 PM

I'm a bucket list person. It's fun for me and my spouse to daydream about desired locales that are on the lists. Heck, I have several National Park lists (there are 63 now) to keep tabs on what we see (scratch off poster, water bottles with stickers you add, t-shirt with places to check off).

I also have some dream locations.

But we do reassess. Egypt is off the list unless it becomes more manageable --read many many unpleasant stories about general tourist harassment and also misogynistic harassment. I'm curious about many parts of China but given their government, won't visit unless there's political change. Same with Russia.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by jubilada
im not a bucket list person but people I know and love like having in mind a list of priorities and a goal. It’s got nothing to do with being a better person but just a way to structure things.
I get that, if for no other reason than I get satisfaction from organizing s#!t. I’ve always attributed that to my need for a sense of control over this Life thing that I really have no control over. 😎
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by schlegal1

I also have some dream locations.
I get that, too. But does it count if my dream locations are places that I’ve already experienced and which literally continue to appear (reappear, I guess) in my dreams?
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by LucieV
I get that, too. But does it count if my dream locations are places that I’ve already experienced and which literally continue to appear (reappear, I guess) in my dreams?
who decides what counts?

I had thoughts of visiting lots of places in know now I’ll never go, and I don’t mind at all.
I do yearn to revisit places I’ve loved. Will I ? I don’t know.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 06:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It’s easier to add items to the chuck-it list if you’ve already acquired a satisfactory done-it list.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 06:41 PM

I agree, Nelson. DD and I are going to London again the end of September. It's one of our favorite places, and I had lots rather go back there than somewhere I'm not sure of. What I'm not sure of is how much more traveling I will do, so oldie but goodie suits me. Cruising is in my future.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 06:57 PM

I definitely have dream locations. There are so many places I haven’t been! And there are a few places I know I want visit again and again.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 08:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelson
It’s easier to add items to the chuck-it list if you’ve already acquired a satisfactory done-it list.
Truth!
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 08:08 PM

'But we do reassess.'
Judge Schlegal for the win. Soooo true.
My 20-something self would have had exactly zero interest in some of our current destinations and activities.
And general lifestyle for that matter.

I am done. the chuck it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -