Paris in January

Search

Paris in January

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2023, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris in January

DH and I were scheduled to leave for London and Ireland in three weeks for our 50th wedding anniversary. Unfortunately we’ve had to postpone the trip until April because i had my second hip replacement within the year three weeks ago. So, I’m planning a trip to Paris in January! Thinking of this as a small trip. No big excursions or big museums. Mostly looking for places we can walk to and settle in to the neighborhood and close to where we’re staying. I’m in the dreaming/possibility stage of the planning and would love input and ideas.

This is what I’ve actually booked so far:

January 8–pick up rental car, drive to SFO with stop in east bay to visit daughter and her family. Spend the night at Aloft hotel (using points).

January 9–drop off rental and take shuttle to airport. Afternoon flight on Air France (business class booked with points) to Paris.

January 10-18 stay in apartment at Place Dauphine on Il de La Cite. (Languedoc apartment booked through Paris Perfect. One bedroom with king size bed. 560 square feet and building has an elevator).

January 18 return flight to SFO.

This will be my husband’s first trip o Paris. I’m thinking about a Seine River dinner cruise as a splurge. Would appreciate others experiences. I’m particularly interested in Ducaisse Sur Seine.

Im also interested in exploring the covered passageways and looking for hidden gems. Since there are quite a few any suggestions on which to focus on would be helpful.

Also looking for restaurant recommendations within walking distance. While we will want to do one or two higher end dinners am also looking for cozy bistros and other comfort food.

Thank you in advance for recommendations!

Old Aug 26th, 2023, 12:28 PM
P_M

Years ago I went to Paris in January and my only regret about that trip was the dinner cruise. The food was mediocre and you can't see outside very well unless you're lucky enough to get a table by the window.

I definitely recommend a nighttime cruise but have dinner somewhere else. The food will be better and the cruise will be cheaper and much more fun.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 01:11 PM

Hello, I cruised Ducasse sur seine 4 years ago for Valentine day. I must say it was above my expectations. I was fearing that dinner / service would not be good with so many couples to serve. No, everything was perfect. Tables offer good views of the scenery by night. We really enjoyed it.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Rouelan for sharing your experience on Ducaisse Sur Seine. In the past I’ve been in the P_M camp that dinner cruises are expensive with mediocre food. But, Alain Ducaisse is a celebrated chef so seemed worth checking with those who have gone on the cruise. Happy to hear that you were pleasantly surprised and enjoyed it. Leaning towards booking it!
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 01:33 PM

In January, it may be very cold in Paris and covered passageways is then a good bet! I would recommend visit them around lunch time as there are many small restaurants bringing some action and people, otherwise they are bit deserted. Apart from the usual suspects, there are many museums that are worth a visit. As a Parisian and French, my darling is Cité du Patrimoine, at trocadero. It is like a tour de france of French marvels.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Will definitely add Cite du Patrimoine to my museum list. Also looking at Ateliers des Lumieries, Galerie Dior, Musee de l’Orangerie and Musee D’Orsey. Any guidance or other additions?

My husband loves botanical gardens, but I’m assuming we won’t have much luck in January. But, if there is one we’d love to include it.

Will probably pare the list down later, but right now I’m enjoying exploring possibilities.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 02:14 PM

It might be very cold in Paris (35 - 45F) so you may wish to consider some museums as back up plans. If you wish to skip the larger museums, I particularly like the Rodin Museum and the Musee de l'Orangerie. Neither takes long to tour.

Here are some other suggestions: https://www.parisunlocked.com/best-o...-in-paris-best and https://www.thegeographicalcure.com/...seums-in-paris.

You will be close to Sainte-Chapelle which is a must-visit to me every time I am in Paris.

We really enjoyed our walking food tour by Paris by Mouth: https://parisbymouth.com. They will also be able to give you restaurant recommendations. We also have enjoyed several walking tours by this group: https://www.paris-walks.com/index_m.html.

Finally, you might consider a cooking class. I haven't done any but others here might be able to give you some suggestions.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 02:19 PM

Your husband might enjoy the Jardin des Plantes as it has several indoor spaces.

One more thought: the Eiffel Tower has lights that "twinkle" every hour on the hour for about 5 minutes or so. We thought it was fun and it seemed less crowded in the evening: https://www.toureiffel.paris/en/news...ht-and-sparkle.

Ooh la la, I am excited for you!
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 02:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you fancy a trip out into the outer reaches of Paris, the Marmottan museum in the 16th is wonderful, and in a lovely area which may appeal to your DH. It's dedicated to Monet and has some wonderful works in its exhibition.

https://www.marmottan.fr/en/

Rather closer in, the House of Victor Hugo in a corner of the Places des Vosges is very interesting and free, and has a lovely cafe in the courtyard garden. On a bright sunny day it might be warm enough for a chocolat chaud outside. The nearby L'Ange 20 restaurant is a fodors favourite and vey reliable. Do book if you decide you want to go there.

https://www.lange20.com/en/
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 04:04 PM

3 restaurants we enjoyed this May in Paris in the Marais were Parcelles (wonderful food), Bistro des Tournelles and the old standbye with delicious crepes,Breizh Cafe. All in the 3rd and all reservable on line. Musee Carnavalet is about the history of Paris and I personally enjoy the Picasso museum situated in a beautiful old building. They’re also both situated in the 3rd which is an easy walk from where you are staying.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 05:04 PM

If you are there on a Sunday, spend the afternoon wandering around Le Marais.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 09:16 PM

Hi ta3153,

I did a self-guided walking tour of the Passages that I thought was wonderful. I did it in the morning and had a commitment for lunch, so I had to quit when I was only about 3/4 done. It was lovely. The tour included a map.

https://www.wanderlustingk.com/trave...s-walking-tour

I also recommend Paris by Mouth for tours & dining recommendations, but I particularly adore their cheese & wine workshop. You meet at a cheese shop and watch while the guide selects and talks about the cheese, then you go to the wonderfully cozy cellar of one of the oldest buildings in the Marais to sit and taste the wine & cheese for about 2 1/2 hours. I've actually done this three times, and I never tire of the food & wine pairings and the conversation with nice, like-minded cheese-loving strangers.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Last edited by swandav2000; Aug 26th, 2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 09:47 PM

Hi again,

Here is a copy of the map of the tour:

Have fun!

s
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 11:32 PM

Botanical gardens: obviously January is not the best month but here are 2 recommendations:
Serres d'Auteuil (close to Roland Garros stadium): there are several greenhouses. Just check when they are open.
https://www.paris.fr/lieux/jardin-des-serres-d-auteuil-1780

Parc floral (Vincennes): they also have greenhouses and "open houses". And the park is, I think, more "year round" than others like Bagatelle (famous for the rose garden).
Someone suggested Jardin des Plantes. It is quite good but the name is bit deceiving. There is a park with some greenhouses but it is better known for the small zoo and the "gallery of evolution" (natural history museum)

For museums, there are so many options that you would need to be more specific on what you would like. Orsay is what you would call a "big museum", both by size and by attendance. If you like native arts, Quay Branly is impressive. If you want places with history, Nissim de Camondo is worth the visit. Modern art = palais de Tokyo, fondation Louis Vuitton. And so on...

Last edited by rouelan; Aug 27th, 2023 at 12:03 AM.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by ta3153
Will definitely add Cite du Patrimoine to my museum list. Also looking at Ateliers des Lumieries, Galerie Dior, Musee de l’Orangerie and Musee D’Orsey. Any guidance or other additions?

My husband loves botanical gardens, but I’m assuming we won’t have much luck in January. But, if there is one we’d love to include it.

Will probably pare the list down later, but right now I’m enjoying exploring possibilities.
The Jardin des Plantes hothouse. You can have tea at the nearby Paris Mosque which operates a pretty good winter garden/covered terrace affair and also has a nice restaurant/cafe inside

It's true as rouelan says about JdP, but it's a monument in its own right and it has cool option for a hot drink and a snack nearby.

Last edited by menachem; Aug 27th, 2023 at 12:12 AM.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 12:10 AM

Musee de Montmartre is a good place to go to as well. Not as all as touristy as the name suggestions, they're basically a number of artists' studios from the Impressionist days
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for all the fabulous suggestions! Planning and anticipation are half the fun of travel. I’m working on going through these recommendations. Will have my husband check out the botanical gardens to see what appeals to him.

love the suggestion of a cooking class and would appreciate any recommendations.
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 11:47 AM

Here's another map of the passages

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...454219425&z=14
Old Aug 27th, 2023, 06:01 PM

One of our favorites places for a delicious casual dinner in Paris is Le Cosi at 9 rue Cujas. Google is listing it as "permanently closed" but their website is still active and accepting reservations. If it is indeed still operating, think about a visit - it's an easy walk from Place Dauphine.

If you enjoy Chinese food, try Tricotin at 15 Av. de Choisy in the 13th. Not at all posh, feeling rather like a place for locals in Beijing, it's generally full of Chinese diners, and gets a big nod of approval from David Lebovitz. Really great dim sum.
Old Aug 28th, 2023, 07:42 AM

Many good ideas and blogs already shared so only thing I can add is sports. Catch a PSG (soccer) or rugby game or enjoy some craft beer or see a show or some theater! These are often overlooked by tourists but Paris is a city like any other and benefits from LOTS of activities!

Also you cant leave Paris without seeing a cabaret show!!

https://theparisshortlist.com/best-cabaret-in-paris/

PSG tickets
https://billetterie.psg.fr/en/

English speaking Theater
https://www.theatreinparis.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -