Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland or Austria? Need help deciding...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we have a one way flight booked to Lisbon on Aug 28th (have already been to Portugal in May), so trying to decide where should go from there. I have always wanted to go to the Swiss Alps (have been to Zurich & Lucerne) BUT we only have 8-9 days. And given that I am having some heel problems after our trip to Portugal, I may be limited in how much walking/hiking I can do so not sure if this is a good choice.

Ideally I would fly into Geneva and fly out of Zurich. The itinerary would look like this:
2 nights in Montreux
4-5 nights in Bernese Oberland - would like at least one night in Murren and maybe the rest in Wengen? Tough decision, I have read lots of posts about which town to stay in but am still confused! Would welcome suggestions...
2 nights in Zermatt.
May need to spend the last night in Zurich if our flight out is in the am which means I would have to cut a night somewhere - probably spend 4 nights instead of 5 in the Bernese Oberland region.

Alternately we have been wanting to visit Prague, so thinking we could combine it with Austria and a little taste of the mountains.
3 nights in Prague
2-3 nights in Vienna
2 nights in Salzburg
1-2 nights elsewhere - maybe St Gilgen or Hallstat? Or stay all 4 nights in one place and do day trips? Any suggestions for more scenic, off-the-grid places?
Fly out of Munich

We are in our 60's, enjoy short hikes, scenic beauty, and architecture. We travel with carry-on bags only so don't mind moving around.
Would really welcome & appreciate any advice on our choices. I am already very late to the planning, need to come to a decision soon!!
TIA!

Last edited by excited_confused; Jul 3rd, 2023 at 11:05 PM.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 05:19 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Wengen and Murren are both good choices and easy enough to get around most of the BO from either base, no need to split them up. At this late date your choice of base might well be dictated by where you can find available accommodation. Switzerland is having an extremely busy summer this year - to the point that I'm freaking out a bit about our upcoming trip in Sept/October. From everything I've read (mostly on Trip Advisor) the country is heaving with tourists, and based on your choices, you'll be right in the thick of it.

Salzburg and the Salzkammergut are also good choices, but will also be busy. And don't get me started on Hallstatt. It's a magnet for the Chinese who are out in force this summer.

So, before you decide, I'd do a bit of research into available accommodation in all the places on your list and then go from there.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 4th, 2023 at 05:21 AM.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by excited_confused
We are in our 60's, enjoy short hikes, scenic beauty, and architecture. We travel with carry-on bags only so don't mind moving around.
Would really welcome & appreciate any advice on our choices. I am already very late to the planning, need to come to a decision soon!!
TIA!
There is a really big difference between your suggestion in Switzerland and Austria. Zermatt, Wengen and Mürren lies just next to 4000m high mountains and have a panorame view towards these peaks and have some of the best glacier views in the Alps. Wien is far from the mountains, and neither Salzburg or Hallstatt is close to mountains of this height and with great glacier view.

If it is classical Alpine mountains and glaciers you want, you need to go somewhere else if you choose Austrai.

In Switzerland, you can try the neighbouring valleys to Zermatt. Villages like Zinal, Vissoie or Grimentz in Val d'Anniviers or Saas-Fee or Saas-Grund in Saastal.

In Austria you should go to Tirol. Ötztal or Stubaital would be good choices. Villages like Sölden (in Ötztal) or Neustift or Fulpmes (in Stubaital).

In general Switzerland is a bit more spectacular (at it's best) than Austria, but it is also much more expensive. If budget isn't a problem, Switzerland may be better. Otherwise, Austria is also a good choice.
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 07:33 AM

You'll need 3 nights in Vienna. If you are up to walking, go to the top of the Vienna woods by bus, walk down to Grinzing and have a meal in a heurige. In Vienna proper there are so many things to see that two full days will only scratch the surface.

Don't miss the Secession architecture:

or the Hundertwasser creations:

in addition to the Baroque:

Old Jul 4th, 2023, 08:48 AM

In Switzerland, there are many cable cars and railway lines, so you don't necessarily have to walk a lot in the Swiss mountains I would also consider Interlaken as a starting point. This would also make excursion destinations on Lake Brienz more quickly accessible and thus the range of possibilities much greater. If you like to stay closer to the mountains, Grindelwald is also a good place with spectacular views of the Eiger and the beautiful mountains there!

Have a great trip!
Martin
Old Jul 4th, 2023, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies Still torn between the two so let me put it this way - given that we only have 8/9 days for this trip, which itinerary would fit better?

Next year we would hopefully have more time (fingers crossed) since DH will be retired but if it's so much more expensive, not sure if making Switzerland a more extended trip would necessarily work! Is it possible to find more reasonable B&B's in Switzerland if we book ahead for next June? So we can make a base somewhere for a week maybe and then move around for a week....

Melnq8, thanks for the great advice. I had already booked 2 nights each in Wengen & Murren before our Portugal trip so we still have those refundable reservations though 2 nights in each may not be ideal. Nothing else is booked however but I am not seeing a problem in Prague, Vienna & Salzburg.
I was hoping Switzerland would be less busy in Sept but if you are freaking out about Sept/Oct, then I guess early Sept will be much busier! How long are you going for?

Michael, thanks for the lovely pics, I can stay with 3 nights in Vienna but will have to cut one night at the end then.

Martin, are you suggesting 2 nights in Interlaken and 3 nights elsewhere?

OlavE, thanks for pointing out that the places I have picked in Austria are not really classic Alpine mountains, I still liked them so can maybe wait for Switzerland for the Alps! I will definitely look into the places you recommended, they could certainly be options we prefer, just need to commit to either Austria or Switzerland first!

Thanks all, still very confused so please keep the suggestions coming!

Old Jul 5th, 2023, 04:55 AM

It depends on your preferences whether you want to spend 2 or 3 days in Interlaken. If you like to be close to the mountains, I would spend 3 days in Wengen, Mürren or Grindelwald and stay 2 days in Interlaken. In Interlaken there are more possibilities for excursions even in bad weather. But I hope you have very nice weather in the Bernese Oberland, which is usually to be expected at this time!
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 05:15 AM

Is it possible to find more reasonable B&B's in Switzerland if we book ahead for next June? So we can make a base somewhere for a week maybe and then move around for a week....

Your options for accommodation will increase, but the rates are still likely to be high. Switzerland is expensive. Staying longer in fewer places is usually less expensive than moving around alot though. Early June will be less expensive than later in the summer, as it's still pre-season, but you'll want to check the operating schedules for any mountain excursions you don't want to miss.

Melnq8, thanks for the great advice. I had already booked 2 nights each in Wengen & Murren before our Portugal trip so we still have those refundable reservations though 2 nights in each may not be ideal. Nothing else is booked however but I am not seeing a problem in Prague, Vienna & Salzburg.
I was hoping Switzerland would be less busy in Sept but if you are freaking out about Sept/Oct, then I guess early Sept will be much busier! How long are you going for?

I'd spend all four nights in one or the other - these villages aren't far apart and it's easy to get from one to the other by public transport (you'll want to look into train/bus passes which will probably make your head spin, but lots of us here have experience with public transport and can help). By moving accommodation, you'll lose a half day of precious holiday time.

We're spending 35 nights in Switzerland/Italy - we visit once a year (sometimes twice), and crowds aren't usually an issue for us as we visit lesser known spots, but the BO is busy at the best of times due to its popularity. And I've just learned that the filiming of a Korean soap opera is no doubt contributing to it's extra busyness this year. I worry about crowds this year because Switzerland is having a banner tourist year - all that pent up COVID demand is hitting Europe pretty hard this summer. I can only speculate as it whether or not it will continue into autumn.

And FWIW - Interlaken would never be my choice - it's not in the mountains, and it's a small, busy city lacking in charm.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 5th, 2023 at 05:19 AM.
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, we have decided to go with the Prague/Austria option. Appreciate all your input!

Switzerland will hopefully happen next June. Would love to hear about your trip and lesser known spots when you return Melnq8, we like to include at least one of those in each trip!
Looking to find one in Austria now, will switch over to the Austria forum. Let the planning begin!
(And btw, I have seen that Korean soap opera!)
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 03:35 AM

Which Korean show is filming in Switzerland this year? Crash Landing on You was filmed years ago and apparently draws people to Istewald.

As far as where to stay, if OP has never been to Bernese Oberland, definitely stay in Wengen or Murren. If planning to go up to Jungfrau, Wengen is better. You check the weather in the morning and go up if it’s clear.

Weather is important, a lot of costly excursions like Jungfrau or Schilthorn depends on weather.

But there are spectacular vistas all over this region, some best accessed from Interlaken, such as Rothorn above Brienzee.
Old Jul 6th, 2023, 05:05 AM

Which Korean show is filming in Switzerland this year? Crash Landing on You was filmed years ago and apparently draws people to Istewald.

No idea about the filming schedule, but CLOY was filmed in many locations throughout Switzerland and people are flocking to said locations like flies (per posts I've read on Trip Advisor). I'd never heard of it until a few days ago when the subject came up on a TA post.

Edit: I tried to post a YouTube video with all the locations, but it didn't work for some reason.
Old Jul 7th, 2023, 02:51 PM

I think choosing the second option is the way to go..
I think your switzerland option had too much of the same thing.
With your second option you get to see these amazing cities, and some of that scernery you are after.
Old Sep 11th, 2023, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, just got back from an amazing Switzerland vacation and just wanted to post a quick reply. Hopefully will get to a long TR this time!
We had a great time, crowds were never an issue, the only crowded station platform I saw was Lauterbrunen. We stayed in Montreux, Zermatt, Wengen, Murren & spent our last night in Zurich & it was perfect! If anything, I would have added a night in Interlaken before Wengen or a night in Lauterbrunnen after Wengen. And we should have probably done the Bernese Oberland from Montreux to take advantage of the Golden Pass Railway but we took it from Zermatt to visit Gstaad anyway so it was all good!
Thanks for all your help, Hopefully we will visit Prague & Austria next year!