Search

Florence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2023, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence

Any suggestions for hotels in a good location for the city? I am a Marriott man if that makes a difference. I don’t really understand the layout of the city. Thank you.
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 10:03 PM

It would help if you provide a baseline budget per night.

Most chain-style hotels like Marriott are pretty rare in Europe, unless near a larger airport, which would not be Florence. You will find mostly boutique hotels and B&Bs in the city.

My suggestion: peruse sites like Booking.com. You can input your specific needs such as location, breakfast included, ensuite bathrooms, and lifts/elevators (warning: this is a luxury in most hotels). Maybe come back once you have a few in mind and perhaps additional feedback/suggestions may come about. I'd suggest the one I stayed at, but it was back in 2006 and too long ago for recent suggestion.

I don't understand what you mean about the city's layout. It is a relatively compact city with most of the main attractions in a concentrated area of the city. If you find any accommodations in city center within your budget, you really cannot go wrong.
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 10:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Norbert
Any suggestions for hotels in a good location for the city? I am a Marriott man if that makes a difference. I don’t really understand the layout of the city. Thank you.
perhaps a bit more information
Will you have a car?
What time of year?
How long are you going for?
How many of you are going?
Any physical limitations?
How much in Euros per night do you want to spend?

Basically the zone that the Medici would recognise is pretty small but still takes 20 minutes or so to walk across. It is bisected by a river which is crossable by a few rivers and multiple (very narrow) bus routes criss-cross the city. The majority of "big tourist draws" are to the north of the river inside the walls. There are many sites outside the walls but most tourists will not visit them. Equally most tourists only go to the gardens south of the river.
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 11:36 PM

Basically look at the map. Find the SMN train station. Pick something between that and the river.

Quick trip arriving by train? Stay closer to the station. Longer trip visiting a certain site? Stay closer to the site.

That's basically it.

You can save money staying further out but most people visiting Florence are likely best served staying in that area.

Fair warning hotel rates have soared.
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 03:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Marriott Bonvoy properties in Florence, all outside my budget universe... and luckily not my preference in size or style.

AC Hotel Firenze
St. Regis
Westin Excelsior

I like to stay north of the river, closer to the Duomo and Santa Croce, but Florence isn't big.