Search

4 weeks in Provence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 weeks in Provence

My wife and I are considering 4-6 weeks in Provence in
september 2024. We have spent time in Monaco, Nice, Cannes so we are looking at possible starting the trip in Aix and over the next 4-6 weeks travel north ending in Paris. We enjoy the hilltop towns and the outdoor cafes and wandering around the quaint villages and experiencing the outdoor markets. I was hoping there could be some recommendations on a trip like this. We are planning on staying in VRBO's and AirBNB's. Please let me know your thoughts on this trip and some interesting towns or villages we should consider staying in.
Thank You
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 07:33 AM

Hi kirk707, my DH and I sandwiched a trip to Aix when we were in Paris. We loved our hotel with its spa and spring-warmed swimming pool:

Trip Report: A Provence Sandwich

(Scroll down to Saturday.)
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 04:39 PM

Fodor's poster offered up books on Provence and after no takers I took her up on it. I received about 30 books! Fabulous, guides, novels and all you need to know kind of books. I will be going march 2024.Can I mail some to you? Send me a PM and I share. I will be splitting March between Aix, Arles and Avignon and outlying areas I can get to by train or bus.
Old Jun 4th, 2023, 11:31 PM

Hope,you make time also for the Gard, as well as Ardèche and Vercors on your way north.

Something to consider is a couple of week-long stays in a gîte in an attractive village in, say, Vaucluse which has more than enough sights for a week. Check the Gites de France web site.

Another resource you should explore is Plus Beaux Villages de France, either the Web site or a book that your local library should be able to source for you.

Some potential bases: Maussanne-les-Alpilles, Pernes-les-Fontaines, Puy-en-Velay, Apt, Lyon itself. Worthy stopovers: Arles, Nîmes, Vaison la Romaine, Vallon Pont d’Arc, Tain l’Hermitage, Pont-en-Royans.

And that’s without being able to provide guidance on the Luberon, where you will probably want to spend a week.
Old Jun 5th, 2023, 02:41 PM

I urge you to spend at least a few days in the Drôme, a relatively unvisited area of France that offers much. Start in the town of Nyons, famous for its olives--they have their own appellation contrôlée, like a good wine. Be sure to visit the big marché and the olive cooperatve, for everything from soap to dried olive chips. See here: https://francetoday.com/activity/cyc...ome-provencale.

Then head north to visit the small town of Dieulefit and the nearby Château de Grignan. Stay outside Dieulefit at the Hôtel-restaurant Les Hospitaliers, one of our favorite places in France. In the early summer the lavender fields in the area will be in full bloom Finish up in Napoleon's footsteps with a visit to the town of Montélimar, famous also for its nougat--you can visit the factories.
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by FTOttawa
Hope,you make time also for the Gard, as well as Ardèche and Vercors on your way north.

Something to consider is a couple of week-long stays in a gîte in an attractive village in, say, Vaucluse which has more than enough sights for a week. Check the Gites de France web site.

Another resource you should explore is Plus Beaux Villages de France, either the Web site or a book that your local library should be able to source for you.

Some potential bases: Maussanne-les-Alpilles, Pernes-les-Fontaines, Puy-en-Velay, Apt, Lyon itself. Worthy stopovers: Arles, Nîmes, Vaison la Romaine, Vallon Pont d’Arc, Tain l’Hermitage, Pont-en-Royans.

And that’s without being able to provide guidance on the Luberon, where you will probably want to spend a week.
If you were making time for the Gard - any particular places you would go? Restaurants you recommend? I've been reading Alec Lobrano's posts re: the Gard and it sounds like an underappreciated area of France. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 07:44 AM

EastFalls, you’d get better answers by starting your own new thread specifically about the Gard
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 07:48 AM

Ok, thanks. My first time posting on this forum and appreciate the advice.
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 10:58 AM

Jan47ete those were my books! So glad to hear you offering to pay it forward! We spent 4 weeks last year in Maussane les Apilles and loved it. Great little town and easy access from there all over Provence. One pleasant surprise in the area were all the little festivals that various small towns sponsor. We had in MLP the aoli festival on August 15 and the good old days festival another weekend later that month. Here is the link to tourist office. https://maussane.com/en/discovering-...es/highlights/ But we saw signs for other events in other towns all over. You might also subscribe to the email newsletter from "aix-centric" which is in English.
Old Jul 1st, 2023, 01:30 PM

jan47ete and laurie_ann, how cool for you to share those books!

Last edited by TDudette; Jul 1st, 2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 08:13 AM

Laurie- I sent a check for the postage as you were so gracious to send the books. It came back. Can you message me the address so I can resend.

My trip is scheduled for all of March 2024 due to all the books- how can I resist!