Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help Planning for a Trip to Greece / Thanks!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2023, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Fodor's Community!

I am a newbie in regards to traveling outside of the US, despite being in my 30s. I just never had a good opportunity due to cost of living in Los Angeles and my agency life in marketing. Around 2020 I was ready to travel internationally, and then COVID hit. I am just now starting to feel safer to travel and let my guard down a bit to COVID, but I am still very cautious. That being said, I have had enough of fearing everything due to COVID, I need to treat myself to my first international vacation and get out of my COVID-induced doldrums. This first venture will be to Greece, which has always been at the top of my list. Therefore I was wondering if somebody could help me plan a trip that would last for 2-3 weeks. I would like to formulate a travel path starting in Athens and moving around the country to the best cites that fit the below criteria.

Here are some of my goals:
  • visit during optimal weather (well, when is it not optimal in Greece, right? ha!)
    • what are the best times to travel considering air fares?
  • visit as much of the country as possible, but also have a moment to relax traveling around the Cyclades
    • I'd like to focus on scenic beaches, cites of historical ancient Greece, charming towns, beautiful natural landscapes such as mountains, beaches, forests etc (via hiking, kayaking, biking etc)

Additionally, as most people do with doing things for the first time, I have some concerns as well. Here are some of my concerns:
  • how safe is travel now with COVID / can I wear a mask the entire time on the plane and through security? in Europe I mean, as rules and behaviours are different to a degree from that of the US.
    • what is the healthcare like in Greece? as a foreigner traveling there what can I expect if I became ill, with COVID for instance? can my private insurance work over there?
    • proof of vaccination / vaccination cards? in the US these have all been discarded for the most part so I am curious.
  • best methods of transportation (bus, train, rental car)?
    • costs involved?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out here! I can create a spreadsheet to link for the itinerary if need be to help with visuals and planning.

Cheers -

Zee
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 03:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
How wonderful that you're planning a trip to Greece!
I had unexpected medical care in Greece when I tripped and fell into a bush where there was rusted barbed wire hiding.I asked for a private hospital, my Greek friends' advice, but I needed an ER so off to the Govt Hospital we went. An hour and half later with no waiting to get in, I was all stitched up from wrist to elbow and bandaged by a Resident. The cost of my care was 3 euros. The antibiotic was 8 euros.They gave us a large printed bill to file with our insurance. I finally got to a private hospital in Chania, Crete to have it checked out and they declared it had been done very well. Don't forget that the practice of medicine dates back to Hippocrates.
Favorite places in Greece; Napflion; Chania, Crete; Paros, Athens. Only one place we disliked, Santorini.So happy to leave it.
We had great weather late September/ October.
Old Apr 21st, 2023, 06:18 PM

I wouldn't recommend going to Greece during the summer months because of the heat. Spring and/or fall would be much better times to travel regarding temperatures and crowds.

This is the trip we did last May:
Santorini - 3 nights
Naxos - 4 nights
Nafplion on the Peloponnese Peninsula - 5 nights
Athens - 4 nights

If you have 3 weeks, you could add another island or Meteora. We haven't been to Meteora yet but from my research and talking to other people, I think it would be a very interesting place to visit. Or consider more time on the Peloponnese or Mani peninsula.

We loved Santorini, and despite the crowds, I think it's well worth visiting for the stunning caldera views and white-washed buildings with blue dome roofs. We rented a car for a day to visit Akrotiri Archeological site, red sand beach, black sand beach and Akrotiri lighthouse.

Naxos is less crowded and more laidback than Santorini. And in Nafplio, you can visit amazing ancient sites, such as Epidaurus, Mycenae, Mystras, and many more.

In Athens, in addition to the Acropolis, museums and other ancient sites, be sure to visit the Athens Central Market, which includes the fascinating meat and fish markets.

Additional islands to visit could be Crete or Paros.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo
I wouldn't recommend going to Greece during the summer months because of the heat. Spring and/or fall would be much better times to travel regarding temperatures and crowds.

This is the trip we did last May:
Santorini - 3 nights
Naxos - 4 nights
Nafplion on the Peloponnese Peninsula - 5 nights
Athens - 4 nights

If you have 3 weeks, you could add another island or Meteora. We haven't been to Meteora yet but from my research and talking to other people, I think it would be a very interesting place to visit. Or consider more time on the Peloponnese or Mani peninsula.

We loved Santorini, and despite the crowds, I think it's well worth visiting for the stunning caldera views and white-washed buildings with blue dome roofs. We rented a car for a day to visit Akrotiri Archeological site, red sand beach, black sand beach and Akrotiri lighthouse.

Naxos is less crowded and more laidback than Santorini. And in Nafplio, you can visit amazing ancient sites, such as Epidaurus, Mycenae, Mystras, and many more.

In Athens, in addition to the Acropolis, museums and other ancient sites, be sure to visit the Athens Central Market, which includes the fascinating meat and fish markets.

Additional islands to visit could be Crete or Paros.
Shoulder season is best for Greece, actually everywhere in Europe. Last year we spent almost 5 weeks in Sicily and Greece, mid-April to mid May. The weather was gorgeous and crowds relatively limited and I would definitely recommend this time of the year. End September/October is also said to be good, though we prefer to travel late spring.

We spent 4 nights in Nafplion, 3 on Santorini and 5 in Athens, with a day trip to Delphi, probably the highlight of our trip.

Ideally I would have lived to stay at least a week on the Peloponnese, at two different locations, would be wonderful if you could do that. My husband has a knee problem and sadly Meteora didn’t figure in our itinerary. Naxos or one other island neither due to time constraints.

Yes, Santorini is crowded, but there’s a reason why. Absolutely spectacular, I also recommend 3 nights to get a feel for the place and visit other lesser known parts and not just the caldera. Though there’s no doubt it’s spectacular 😍

Keep Athens for the end. We were there from May 13 and it was pretty hot in the daytime, mid to high eighties, it was the only place we didn’t need a jacket in the evenings. Get a hotel with a room or terrace with a view of the Acropolis, something we look back on with awe and pleasure even today.

Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 07:55 AM

Since you seem to be starting from Ground Zero in Greece information, I strongly urge you to plunge into Greece guidebooks (yes, I know! Shocking! Books, in the age of Internet!). Reasons why -- (1) guides are organized, by interest & region, with maps & transport info mixed in, so yu can see what makes sense as an itinerary (2) where Internet sites can be very promotional, all "eye candy" photos and puffery, a reliable guidebook also includes realities and sometimes downsides ("XX can be jampacked at high season" or "hard to reach without car rental") and (3) includes history/backgrounding of destinations, making visits more meaningful, which Internet photoramas may not bother with.

Fodor's - which has been publishing guides for many decades, has "Essential Greece" -- and there are at least 5 other major Greece guide publishers. The good new is that your excellent public library system probably has ALL of them - and if not at your local branch, a simple request will get a copy sent there. Take home an armload, and ENJOY! take notes, compare, photocopy a few pages.. and decide which ones ring your bell. If you plan to spend 3 weeks and mucho $$$ On this trip, a few bucks for a guide may be the best investment you can make. I've been going to Greece since '99, when there was almost No internet, and I still use both resources, for reasons mentioned.

It's really late to plan a pre-season (May-early June) 2023 trip that's affordable & crowd-avoiding, but by acting fast, you certainly could put together a September trip -- and that's when the Aegean sea is at its swimmable best (another guiide fact not mantioned in internet pix).
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks HappyTrvlr, I appreciate that insight into the medical situation as well as the highlights of where to go!
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KarenWoo!

May or September sound nice, even October according to HappyTrvlr. I will take this into consideration. Could November or April also work? Is the weather hot enoguh to swim during those months as well? I really like your itinerary and Meteora or Crete sound like amazing add-ons!

Are certain airlines better with leg space? I get very achy sitting for a while.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks geetika, I appreciate these insights into Athens being last and the shoulder season reference as well as the need to spend at least three leisure days in Santorini! I will take this all into consideration with open arms!
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

travelerjan, ah spoken just like my mother in regards to books, her name is Jan btw. Ha! I do appreciate books over the internet I must say! I will look into these books, never a dime poorly spent when on a book!

What could I expect to spend in 2-3wks if I was being relatively frugal but still wanted to make the most of it? As in I do not need extravagant food or lodging. Hoping for AirBnB or Vrbo with food from down-to-earth, mom'n'pop restaurants as I do here in the US.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 10:33 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We loved Santorini. We stayed 5 nights and were never bored.
It matters what time of year you visit there, though. We were there in mid-September, which was uncrowded. However, the weather does start changing around then, to wind and rain. I'd definitely visit earlier in September, or in May before high season. If you go too early or late, you'll find restaurants have closed for the season. Our daughter visited there one spring break in April. She said stores were just starting to open for the season.

We recommend staying in Imerovigli, which keeps you out of the more crowded areas of Fira and Oia. We liked the Gold Suites, reasonably priced for a direct caldera view. Breakfast served on your private balcony.
https://www.goldsuites-santorini.com

Try to avoid having to stay overnight in Athens on your way in, and out, if you can arrange your flights like that.

We planned our trip on a short deadline, and knowing nothing about Greece, I used Costco Travel dot com. Their packages offer the best hotels, and include ferry and ground transportation, plus your personal concierge. The concierge was a huge help. She met us at the airport, and she knew of a ferry strike planned for the day we needed to ferry from Santorini back to Athens. She was right, and many travelers were stranded on Santorini, missing their flights home from Athens. Because she knew about it, she suggested we catch a flight that morning instead. Which we did. It cost a bit more, but we didn't get stranded.

Last edited by MoBro; Apr 22nd, 2023 at 10:35 AM.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 10:57 AM

i would be surprised if the weather is warm enough to swim in April or November. In mid-May I wore long pants and short-sleeved tops. Some evenings were cool enough for a lightweight jacket. In fact, when we ate at Aktaion on Santorni, we originally planned to eat outside but it was too windy and too cool. We did see some people swimming on Naxos in May. Our hottest days were in Athens, which was the end of our trip, so late May.

On Santorini we stayed at Blue Dolphins Apartments (recommended by Travelerjan) and loved our stay there. It's located in Firastefani; cost was about $230 per night for a room with a private balcony overlooking the caldera. Breakfast was an additional 20 or 25 euros for two people, and was served on our balcony. It was awesome!

If you wish, you can click on my name to read my trip report (with photos) from last May.

And I agree with Travelerjan about using guidebooks in addition to travel forums and the internet. I used the Michelin Green Guide and Lonely Planet to plan our trip.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 11:46 AM

Glad you agree w my recommends -- BTW, my fave if just getting 1 would be ROUGH GUIDE -- and not the newest editions. Why? You dont use guides anyway for latest hotel/ldinner prices or transport news -- those are best researched on internet. Where guides excel is backgrounding, "hidden gems", insights... and latest editions of major guides have often axed text to make room for color pix.. a big mistake. R-G 2012-14 a better buy.. and about $8-9 used on internet. R STeves book AND website good for step-by-step DIY of Athens Landmarks (Internet FREE audio). Of course, Michelin Green Guide and the Blue Guide are (to mix colors) the Gold Standard for ancient-site details.

IF you want cost estimates - you'll need to tell us WHEN... and if it's this year or Next. Of the most Bang for your Buck in good weather... Prices in Mid-May are THE best.. thru Early June ... and 2nd Week of Sept thru Mid- October. But you're too late for bargains in May-June 2023... all the best values are booked up. Luckily for our tummies, food prices don't vary that much From May - November, and Greece is a much better value that most of Europe. When you eat in local tavernas (that doesnt mean "taverns" its the word for iniformal red-checked tablecloth family-run places).. you can usually dine heartily, includng a quarter-liter of local wine, under €15...if all-veggie, even less. Most room-rentals now have coffeepots/teakettles & you can grocery-shop to do your own yogurt/fruit breakfast for€2 and make a lunch picnic for under €5. For all the other costs -- room rates, ferry & plane tickets, local transport, admissions to sites/museums, etc etc -- couldn't estimate without knowing your destinations and your travel dates. We're volunteer helpers, gratis, but we cannot be your travel agent.

MoBro seems to offer a good Alternative with Costco travel -- it could help you on a shorter time-line, and (given its rep for economy) probably would not try always to "upsell" you to luxe hotels or pricey tour options. In any case do be aware that when you have transportation & hotels fixed, an able-bodied person does NOT need a "transfer service" -- any hotel can get you a taxi or point the way to the bus stop, for free.
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks MoBro! Yes going during whether that is swimmable is a key for me because I love the ocean and I love the water and I would feel as though it was a waste not to enjoy that while I was in Greece where the oceans and the beaches are picturesque! I will take all this into consideration I greatly appreciate it!
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Interesting yes I would have to visit during warm enough weather to swim because I love the beach and I love the ocean. I am a warm weather type of person so if I went to Greece and I was not able to swim and enjoy the beach I would feel as though I missed out. So from what I'm gathering from most of these responses is late-May and September are the sweet spots when it comes to weather and cost. I'll check out your profile for your trip thank you!
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

I'm going to start looking into that guidebook and others that you guys have recommended! Thank you! Sorry yes I know that estimating cost is probably widely variable so from when I'm gathering May or September or the sweet spots to go possibly August and I'm not necessarily thinking this year either. At this point this is definitely going to be a 2024 venture. I like the idea of being able to get really good food and not having to eat at a pretentious place to get good quality food for a price! So basically in Greece I would be using buses and fairies there's not much of a train system correct? And additionally the country is not big enough where I would want to fly to another location? As I have heard people that have traveled around France and then instead of driving or taking a train to Italy they actually fly into Rome versus taking a train or a bus or a car to Rome from France. I am very independent in my travel and I'm very quick and fast and efficient. I never indulge too much on luxuries so I think these guys that you are suggesting will be a great help so I can see it from every angle! Thanks once again! I hope to start planning somewhat next week into spreadsheet at least to start getting rough ballpark estimates and planning of how I want to maneuver myself through the country!
Old Apr 22nd, 2023, 05:23 PM

Z,
Do you happen to live near a Reference Library? If you do, then you might consider a visit to compare and contrast the various guidebooks.
An added idea: maybe check out visiting both the islands of Santorini plus its nearby and different-feeling neighbour Folegandros.
The sweet spot you refer to above is especially nice on the latter isle.
I am done. the Z's
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 05:44 AM

Until recent years, my travel style has been very low budget. I’ve learned to find clean, but simple accommodations with amenities that allow me to have at least one meal a day at home. I can confidently say that, travel expenses between locations aside, I can be quite comfortable in Greece on $125 a day, less if splitting the cost of accommodations with a partner. Example: I stayed in an absolutely dreamy airBandB last summer in Athens which cost <$70 a night. It was in a great location near enough to the Plaka to walk everywhere I wanted to go. The public market was nearby for fruit and incredibly inexpensive prepared foods. The best souvlaki I’ve ever had was less than €5 and made for a great dinner. Let me know if you want more details!
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

I live near a library, but I might just purchase a guide instead. Thanks for the tip on Folegandros zebec!
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks nylilly, I love low budget travel! This is great news to hear, I can do a two week trip and try to keep costs down this way. There is a very slim chance that I will meet a swedish friend of mine and we can split some costs for part of the trip. Thanks so much for these details!

Question for you and others, what airlines going into Greece offer the best bang for the buck, primarily the most leg room etc? I will pay a bit more to avoid embolism and deep vein thrombosis!
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 10:52 AM

We had a wonderful time in a villa in a tiny village on Crete. Had a wonderful swimming pool, traditional taverna a 2 minute walk for meals, absolutely wonderful AC as well lol. It was August, it was hot, but it was lovely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -