Search

We LOVED Oaxaca!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2023, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We LOVED Oaxaca!

We LOVED Oaxaca! Me encanta Oaxaca! And I’m missing it right now! Having just spent 10 wonderful days in Oaxaca, here are some thoughts, in no particular order. It’s a wonderful and vibrant city that reveals itself bit by bit. Very colorful, excellent food from lowbrow to highbrow. The region is filled with some beautiful sights and the many specialized craft towns are fun to visit. Lots of markets! Wonderful ruins scattered around the region.

We are a reasonably active senior couple who love to travel. We decided to come to Mexico and chose Oaxaca for a longish stay so we could get to “feel” the place. By the time we decided to visit, many of the accommodations were fully booked, especially for a longer stay, and I wanted to stay in one place. We lucked out with Hotel Pereyra, a small family-run hotel, more of a guesthouse than a hotel. It’s not posh, but it’s comfortable, owned and run by a lovely couple, Sara and Cesar, who manage the hotel with a caring touch. There’s an intimacy here that is special - we felt we were among friends. They are also very helpful with reservations and arranged all our day trips through a taxi service they use at very reasonable rates. This was Sara’s home growing up and she and Cesar got married in this home. It was turned into a hotel about 15 years ago.

We aren’t big foodies, generally preferring home style places and casual restaurants. With Oaxaca’s reputation, we tried a mix of places. We also did an amazing food tour with Me Encanta Oaxaca, eating our way through markets and small stands over the course of 6 hours!

We ate at the following places:

Dinners

Gozobi - nice overview of Oaxaca from their terrace, good food (and a lot of it!), not fancy but fun

Humar - relatively new casual restaurant focusing on easy dishes with a focus on seafood

La Popular - really good casual restaurant for traditional Mexican food

Origen - a restaurant with a reputation. Why, we had no idea. The food was really uninspired and bland.

Levadura de Olla - Our favorite! No pretense, but well-executed traditional food done with a contemporary flair

Casa Oaxaca - Said to be the best restaurant in Oaxaca again, a restaurant serving traditional food but in a contemporary style. While it was good, we didn’t find it that special and in fact found the food tasted better at Levadura de Olla.

Quinque - local place near our hotel that served okay food, nothing special.

Tlayuda de Negro - truly a mistake to go! This place is on the corner of where our hotel is located and it looks like a funky event space. The food really wasn’t bad at all, but the ambience was loud and definitely the opposite of posh! I would not recommend.

Lunches in Oaxaca de Juarez

Ceviches Chino, a stand at the Mercado Benita Juarez for ceviche (what else?!)

La Cosecha, a small but lovely organic market

Tamales Cande @ Mercado Sanchez Pascuas

Restaurante Coronita for the 7 mole special!

What we did in Oaxaca de Juarez (the city of Oaxaca)
  • Walked, walked, walked
  • -Ate lots of nieves (ices - nuez, or walnut, was my favorite but try them all and helado (ice cream). Note that nieves is much more common.
  • Watched numerous calendas - festive events following weddings and celebrations by Santa Domingo church on Friday, Saturdays and Sundays)
  • Took the great food tour (mentioned above) and an excellent walking tour with Oaxaca Free tours (pay what you wish) with Raul
  • Explored Jalatlaco, a quirky barrio, or neighborhood, in the northeast part of Oaxaca, and stopped to watch dancing in Parque Llano
  • Enjoyed many of the small museums in Oaxaca: Museo Textil de Oaxaca, used de las Culturas de Oaxaca, Centro Fotográfico Álvarez Bravo), Museo de Arte Cintemporaneo de Oaxaca, Centro Cultural San Pablo and wandered in and out of many small galleries
  • Explored the big markets - Benito Juarez and 20 de Noviembre
  • Gaped at all the amazing street art

4 separate day trips:
1) Sunday- first stop, Mitla, one of the 2 larger archeological sites in Oaxaca; then to Tlacolula for the large traditional Sunday market, tasting baracoa (goat meat stewed in red sauce and served with tortillas - I liked it okay, M found it too rich) and stopped into the church and viewed the ornate chapel; and finally to Teotitlan, where we were taken to Casa Don Juan, a 5-generation rug weaving family where we received a wonderful overview of the process. We didn’t get to explore the town or other places, but this turned out to be a wonderful experience. Oh, and of course, we bought a rug2) Monday- Monte Alban - we had a driver arranged for us, who took us there and back. We hired a guide at the site but it really wasn’t a good overview of the site. I’d recommend either hiring a private guide beforehand, going with a small tour, or getting a good guidebook. Still, it is a fabulous visit and we loved being there.

My description of the visit for a travel group I’m in:

Monte Albán was fantastic! A large archeological site a short distance from Oaxaca, we were both quite taken by the site (and sight!). Located on top of a flattened mountaintop, it was the capital of the Zapotec civilization from 500BC to 800AD, reaching its peak between 200 and 600AD. It’s an extensive site, only partially excavated, but what is there has an impressive grandeur when taking in the scope of the site.

The Zapotec name for Monte Albán is Dani Baá, which means Sacred Mountain. There’s several sections to the site, but the main plaza contains several buildings, including an astronomical observatory. The Galeria de Los Danzantes, a series of steles (not original, but recreated to mimic the objects as they were found) likely show defeated warriors from other cities. Still, these objects feel real and very powerful.

There is also a small museum on site which feature objects found, including many objects from daily life.

Visiting Monte Albán, one really feels the power of the place.”

3) Tuesday- Hierve el Agua - a great site. Again, here’s my description for my travel group:

“Hierve el Agua, which means “The Water Boils”, does not, in fact boil, but the water in the mineral springs here looks like it is! These springs, filled with calcium, have been building up for millennia, and form the calcifications that are called “petrified waterfalls”. There are also pools that were formed by the water that one can swim in. We managed to dip our toes in, at least!

We walked from an overlook down below one of the main “waterfalls” - a long walk down! Unfortunately, the long walk back up took its toll on me, and I had a bit of a rough return, although Michael and our guide, Antonio, did yeoman service and helped me make it back up. We were accompanied by Antonio, who spoke no English, but whose energy and warm demeanor made him an easy companion. And, fortunately, Michael manages to communicate well enough in Spanish.”

Despite some rough going, it was worth it as it’s a spectacular site.”

4) Thursday - first stop, Zaachila - for its traditional market and livestock market, as well as a tiny but fascinating archeological site; then drove to San Barton Coyotepec to look at black pottery; and finally, we stopped in San Martín Tilcajete, the town where alebrijes are made.

Alebrijes are fantastical creatures painted with elaborate decoration. They were first created by an artist and sculptor in 1936 who saw this in a dream in a fevered state. It’s said that he kept repeating the word, “alebrijes”. After that, he began making them in papier mache. A friend and fellow sculptor from Oaxaca began making them in wood, where it caught on, and soon workshops developed teaching the style to others. Now the town of San Martín is known for these wonderfully imaginative creatures.

We absolutely loved Oaxaca and would go back again in a heartbeat - except there are now too many other areas to explore!

Old Mar 6th, 2023, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Scene from Calenda

Scene from Calenda

Scene from Calenda

Scene from Calenda

Scene from Calenda
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 06:16 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Those stilts are scary!

Love your colorful photos.
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 07:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the report and photos
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Melnq8! It’s scary to look at them but at least I’m not on the stilts! They seem to handle it pretty well

MichelleY - glad you’re enjoying the report and photos! I’ll post more as I can.
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

First day walk around town

Old Mar 6th, 2023, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Oaxaca evening

Taken from the terrace at Gozobi restaurant

Old Mar 6th, 2023, 04:09 PM

Great photos (looks like you're a Baggallini girl too)
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8
Great photos (looks like you're a Baggallini girl too)
Never leave home without it!
Old Mar 6th, 2023, 09:50 PM

Sounds like a great trip! I love all the photos and restaurant detail!

Can you compare it to any Spanish towns or is it completely different?

Old Mar 7th, 2023, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lrice
Sounds like a great trip! I love all the photos and restaurant detail!

Can you compare it to any Spanish towns or is it completely different?
Thanks, Irice! Glad you’re enjoying this. More photos to come, too!

It’s really not comparable to any European towns. It’s a wonderful town, the elements of Spain are in some of the architecture, but the culture is not European at all. It’s more indigenous but very diverse.
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 06:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Very nice, well done. Thanks for the effort. Looks like most of your pics are from in, around or near Santo Domingo. Which seems to have overtaken the Zócalo to a degree as a focal point of visitors to the historic center. I think the presence of so many vendor's stalls in the Zócalo may have contributed to me feeling that way.
I had to Google Baggallini. Thought it might some Italian pastry 😅
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, baldone! You’re right, Santa Domingo is a big tourist center, though Zocalo seems to be much more local. The day we arrived, it was busy with demonstrations, and we did catch a little bit of dancing in the park on a Wednesday early evening. Another evening, there was an orchestra playing. So it’s still very active but not just a tourist center.

We’re currently in Mexico City but it seemed like our trip in Oaxaca warranted a report of its own. And there are many photos from around- not just Santa Domingo. I will post more pix soon!
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Fantastic food tour with Me Encanta Oaxaca
https://meencantaoaxaca.com

Betsaida, who runs the tours. This is a small, family-run company and she and her brother do tours and provide cooking lessons. It was fabulous.

We started at a street vendor

Outside the Mercádo Sanchez Pascuas

Inside the market

3 types of mezcal

Loved this though don’t remember what it was!

Fruit market - love the diversity!

One of the many versions of corn

Chocolate!

Meat! At Mercado 20 de Noviembre

Grilling and smoke

Grilling the meat!

The ultimate lunch

Old Mar 17th, 2023, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

One of the things that makes Oaxaca such a great place to be is that it’s large enough to keep one busy but small enough to walk pretty much everywhere. On a Saturday, we walked to Barrio de Jalatlaco, a quirky and colorful neighborhood in the northeastern corner of the city.

First, we walked through the very local Parque El Llano, where we watched a group of people practicing their dancing and had a tasty snack…

Dancing in the park

Dancing in the park

Park vendor

This was really tasty

Old Mar 17th, 2023, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Continuing on, we arrived by the Templo de San Matias Jalatlaco. There was a wedding going on inside, and we continued on to admire the remarkable street murals. In a town filled with great street art, this ranks as some of the best we’ve seen!

Welcome to Jalatlaco! A colorful barrio!

The church

Finishing up with a spooky ice cream (helado)
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 07:06 AM

Is that licorice ice cream?
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8
Is that licorice ice cream?
No, chocolate ice cream, with a chocolate skull!
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 08:47 AM

That's some seriously dark chocolate.
Old Mar 17th, 2023, 11:06 AM

Love the Skull Ice Cream!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -