Daily expenses for Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2023, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, please tell me how much daily expenses I can expect (food, accommodation, train/bus fares) in Greece?
Is Greece cheaper than UK or Germany for a budget traveler staying at an airBnB or 1 bedroom motel?

I'm planning a trip from Thessaloniki airport to Pella, Vergina, Mt. Pelion, Delphi, Mycenae, Tiryns, Pylos, Athens archeological museum, Delos, Knossos, Heraklion, Phaestos.
If I spend 1 night per destination that'd be about 10 days.

Thanks
Old Feb 17th, 2023, 06:19 AM

Personally, I can be comfortable in Athens for $100 a day, including accommodations. I'm unfamiliar with your other destinations, but your itinerary sounds ambitious - an exhausting, to me.
Old Feb 17th, 2023, 07:27 AM

Trains, buses and slow ferries are not particularly expensive.
Thessaloniki - Athens by train:53 EUR
Overnight ferry Piraeus - Heraklion: Seat 40 EUR, cheapest berth in a 4bed cabin 60 EUR
Bus Thessaloniki - Patra: 45 EUR
Bus Athens - Nauplia: 13 EUR.
Catamarans are much more expensive:
Mykonos - Heraklion (only direct way, otherwise travel via Piraeus): 120 EUR
Accommodation: www.booking com, www.airbnb.com

But a somewhat decent vissit of all the places you mention (and they ARE interesting) in 10 days only will never be possible.
Pylos/Navarino is somewhat out of the way.
May be you can do something like Thessaloniki/Verria - bus or train - Volos - Pelion - Volos - bus or train - Athens - bus - Delphi - Nafpaktos - Rio/Patras - Korinthos - Argos/Myceae - Tripoli - Kalamata - Pylos - Kalamata - Sparta - Gythion - slow ferry (twice weekly) - Kissamos - bus - Chania - Heraklion/Knossos - slow ferry FB Prevelis (once weekly) - Santorini - slow ferry (Blue Star Ferries) - Naxos - slow ferry (FB Ekaterini) - Mykonos/Delos - slow ferry - Piraeus - metro - Athens.
You may also check international arrivals and departures to and from the airports of Kalamata, Heraklion, Santorini, Mykonos and Skiathos (for Pelion).
Old Feb 17th, 2023, 08:31 AM
J62

i applaud you for attempting such an ambitious trip. Many of have attempted such trips in the past and have learned that you cannot simply teleport yourself from one locaton to the other instantaneously, or without accounting for time to find meals, or time to find a place to stow and retrieve your bags as you move from town to town, etc.

The biggest issues I see with your itinerary are the time to get from place to place

One thing I find helpful in planning my own trips is to actually map out routes and travel times (with real info like published bus or train schedules), then add on time to get to train station, buy ticket, find my train, grab some food, etc.... When I do that I might find I've left all of 15min for actual sightseeing on a given day.... Obviously not a workable plan, so I've had to prioritize must haves vs nice to haves. I also find it helpful to either print out, or get a larger paper map of where I am going and pin the places I want to go, and eliminate any obvious outliers.

Good luck with your homework and more detailed planning.

Old Feb 17th, 2023, 09:52 AM

I recognize you will need to travel to two islands, Mykonos (to get to Delos) and Crete for your last three destinations. So, you will presumably have transport costs other than trains and buses you mentioned, and added time, to get to those places. Food and lodging in Mykonos probably will be your biggest expense, since prices there are higher than mainland Greece and Crete. We have done a lot of aggressive travel over the years, but it would be difficult to do that efficiently in a country like Greece with its more limited public transport options than you might find in other parts of Europe. Rental cars and tolls are expensive on the mainland. In our travels last fall, we found lots of decent lodging for two persons on mainland Greece for $50-75 a night and dining options that could put your daily budget below $125 a day for two.
Old Feb 18th, 2023, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
Trains, buses and slow ferries are not particularly expensive.
Thessaloniki - Athens by train:53 EUR
Overnight ferry Piraeus - Heraklion: Seat 40 EUR, cheapest berth in a 4bed cabin 60 EUR
Bus Thessaloniki - Patra: 45 EUR
Bus Athens - Nauplia: 13 EUR.
Catamarans are much more expensive:
Mykonos - Heraklion (only direct way, otherwise travel via Piraeus): 120 EUR
Accommodation: www.booking com, www.airbnb.com

But a somewhat decent vissit of all the places you mention (and they ARE interesting) in 10 days only will never be possible.
Pylos/Navarino is somewhat out of the way.
May be you can do something like Thessaloniki/Verria - bus or train - Volos - Pelion - Volos - bus or train - Athens - bus - Delphi - Nafpaktos - Rio/Patras - Korinthos - Argos/Myceae - Tripoli - Kalamata - Pylos - Kalamata - Sparta - Gythion - slow ferry (twice weekly) - Kissamos - bus - Chania - Heraklion/Knossos - slow ferry FB Prevelis (once weekly) - Santorini - slow ferry (Blue Star Ferries) - Naxos - slow ferry (FB Ekaterini) - Mykonos/Delos - slow ferry - Piraeus - metro - Athens.
You may also check international arrivals and departures to and from the airports of Kalamata, Heraklion, Santorini, Mykonos and Skiathos (for Pelion).
You're right. 10 days is far too short. If I deleted Delos and Mt Pelion would 10 days be more realistic?
Old Feb 18th, 2023, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whitehall
I recognize you will need to travel to two islands, Mykonos (to get to Delos) and Crete for your last three destinations. So, you will presumably have transport costs other than trains and buses you mentioned, and added time, to get to those places. Food and lodging in Mykonos probably will be your biggest expense, since prices there are higher than mainland Greece and Crete. We have done a lot of aggressive travel over the years, but it would be difficult to do that efficiently in a country like Greece with its more limited public transport options than you might find in other parts of Europe. Rental cars and tolls are expensive on the mainland. In our travels last fall, we found lots of decent lodging for two persons on mainland Greece for $50-75 a night and dining options that could put your daily budget below $125 a day for two.
Thanks for pointing out that I need to get to Mykonos in order to visit Delos. If I delete Delos from my trip what sort of costs would I be looking at for lodging for 1 person per night? In both the mainland and Crete?
Thanks
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 07:31 AM

IMO the visit of Delos is the only valuable reason for a flight (or ferry ride) to the tourist hell of Mykonos.
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

IMO the visit of Delos is the only valuable reason for a flight (or ferry ride) to the tourist hell of Mykonos.
I've decided Delos isn't worth going to Mykonos for.
50 Euros per night's lodging in Greece/Crete seems to be the going rate according to forum members. Which makes it comparative to that for Western Europe.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Greece daily expense.

Hi,
I'm planning a trip from Thessaloniki airport to Pella, Vergina and then West to Ionnina, Pylos, Delphi, Mycenae, Tiryns, Athens.

If I spend 1 night per destination that'd be about 7 days.
Please tell me how much daily expenses I can expect (food, budget accommodation, train/bus fares) in Greece?

Is Greece cheaper than UK or Germany for a budget traveler staying at an airBnB or 1 bedroom motel?

Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 06:50 PM

I'd refer to your other thread from a year ago. I cannot imagine it would have drastically changed much from the answers you received last year:

Old Mar 19th, 2024, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

I've cut out the Crete and Delos from my original schedule.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jaegerhando68
I've cut out the Crete and Delos from my original schedule.
And a poster in that thread gave you an extremely detailed response at some of the expenses you could be looking at, to which i copied here:
Trains, buses and slow ferries are not particularly expensive.Thessaloniki - Athens by train:53 EUROvernight ferry Piraeus - Heraklion: Seat 40 EUR, cheapest berth in a 4bed cabin 60 EURBus Thessaloniki - Patra: 45 EURBus Athens - Nauplia: 13 EUR.Catamarans are much more expensiveMykonos - Heraklion (only direct way, otherwise travel via Piraeus): 120 EURAccommodation: www.booking com, www.airbnb.com But a somewhat decent vissit of all the places you mention (and they ARE interesting) in 10 days only will never be possible.Pylos/Navarino is somewhat out of the way.May be you can do something like Thessaloniki/Verria - bus or train - Volos - Pelion - Volos - bus or train - Athens - bus - Delphi - Nafpaktos - Rio/Patras - Korinthos - Argos/Myceae - Tripoli - Kalamata - Pylos - Kalamata - Sparta - Gythion - slow ferry (twice weekly) - Kissamos - bus - Chania - Heraklion/Knossos - slow ferry FB Prevelis (once weekly) - Santorini - slow ferry (Blue Star Ferries) - Naxos - slow ferry (FB Ekaterini) - Mykonos/Delos - slow ferry - Piraeus - metro - Athens.You may also check international arrivals and departures to and from the airports of Kalamata, Heraklion, Santorini, Mykonos and Skiathos (for Pelion).
Perhaps if you gave your budget for things like lodging and transit, more specific details can be provided. Use resources such as air b&b and booking.com for info if you need it. There are several ferry companies, perhaps look into what works for your budget and schedule. Ferryhopper might be a good place to start., but schedules get posted at very last minute. More you move, more it costs you.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Mar 19th, 2024 at 07:42 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you're like Big Brother.

Last edited by Moderator1; Mar 20th, 2024 at 07:59 AM. Reason: deleted inappropriate language
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 08:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaegerhando68
Wow, you're like Big Brother.

Why would anyone help you with an attitude like that. I was going to post the same link but Travel_Nerd beat me to it. You received a lot of valuable information on your original thread so not quite sure why you started a whole new topic. Maybe you should ask the moderators to merge your two threads so we can see what advice you've already received and don't reinvent the wheel??

Last edited by Moderator1; Mar 20th, 2024 at 07:45 AM. Reason: deleted quote of a deleted comment
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

My apologies. I misunderstood your intentions. I thought you were implying that I had asked the same questions and being put to task.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 07:53 AM

I appreciate the apology. But please ask the mods to delete your insult. And thank you to Janis as well.

The people here have access to the same internet resources you do. When a detailed answer is given, it is typically because that person looked it up. Either they typed it all out for their response to you or at minimum copied and pasted it. They took the time to do that for you (or anyone else here).They did not tell you to go to Google, for instance.

Your cities did modify somewhat a bit from your post last year, but your core itinerary, questions about it, etc. were essentially the same - even worded similarly, hence why janis and I both had the instinct to refer you back. A lot of newer fodorites also forget their log ins or may not know they can find their posts by clicking on theirs (or others) screen names, or maybe even forgot they posted about a topic. It was not done to "watch" or "police" you, but to help you - and other fodorites - from having to take time to essentially answer the same question from the same person for roughly the same/similar trip (with some modifications).

Again, if you have specifics (budget for lodging, for instance), please provide them so we can try to help you more thoroughly.
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 08:01 AM
Forum Moderator

We have edited out an inappropriate comment and merged 2023 and 2024 threads about the same topic.