Search

A Good Train Map for Italy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2023, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Good Train Map for Italy

Hi guys,

I am working on our Fall trip to Italy and am looking for a good map that shows all of the fast and local train routes in Italy. I am usually pretty good at Internet research but am having a "time" with this!

I just discovered there is a Frecciarossa train from Milan to Parma. This information is completely changing my travel plans. I can look up each route one-by-one but there has got to be a better way!

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 07:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You're not going to find a comprehensive map that includes all local train routes, all of the towns with train service, etc.

https://www.italiarail.com/train-tra...n-routes-italy

This is probably the closest you can get:

https://www.italiarail.com/italy-rail-map
Old Feb 7th, 2023, 09:40 PM

This is Italo's map. They only have fast trains

https://www.italotreno.it/en/destinations-timetable

Then you've got this. The old style that used to be printed by TrenItalia

https://www.trenitalia.com/content/d...alia_light.pdf

Considering the date I guess it shows things don't change too much

The links in the post above are from a reseller.

Old Feb 8th, 2023, 02:24 AM

You are looking for the viaggiatreno map, but the network is so big that you must zoom in to see all cities served by national trains. You must select a region from the drop-down menu to see the regional service there.

Trenitalia - ViaggiaTreno

You'll face some problems using the site, even on the English version (UK flag at the top right corner)
  1. Viaggiatreno shows only the railways managed or owned by RFI. Not the locally owned rails like the EAV Circumvesuviana network in Campania.
  2. Italo and Trenitalia use the same rails, but it's a Trenitalia site and it doesn't provide live updates and info about Italo trains
  3. The map shows the railway traffic live: You'll see what national and regional trains are running the moment you check the site. If you Check at 3 AM, Italian time, all lines will be gray because there is almost no service at 3 AM.
  4. No local needs to know there is a direct Freccia train from Milan to Parma (or from A to B) because locals do not decide their travel plans based on the level of service of the number of transfers on the way. I'm trying to explain that viaggiatreno will show a line between A to B, not the service (Freccia rossa vs IC etc.) offered between A and B and the eventual number of changes needed to go from A to B.
  5. Zoom in and you'll see that Parma is served by national trains, but you won't see from where, how many times a day, which company and what type of trains stop there. Frankly, on such a short trip, an IC equals to a Freccia; especially since they mostly use revamped Freccia cars for the IC trains these days
  6. If you push the Train/station red button on the left and enter a station name, the site will show the trains arriving and departing from that station as if you were there, in front of the departures and the arrival monitors. You must click "next" to see other times. Same if you enter a train number.
Nevertheless, the site is incredibly useful to monitor the railway traffic live, to see where and when each train has stopped, the intended and the actual tracks used by each train, if a train was delayed and where, where each station is on a map etc. etc.

Last edited by Falcio; Feb 8th, 2023 at 02:32 AM.
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 04:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always used the current version of this when planning rail travel in Europe:

https://www.europeanrailtimetable.eu...uides-22-c.asp
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 06:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Latching onto this thread with one specific question about the newish private .Italo trains . . . do they still run even in there's a national train strike on a specific date?

I know they are giving the Frecciarossa trains a run for their money!
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 06:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
OK, maybe one more question . . . do the senior discounts on the .Italo trains apply to non-resident, non-EU seniors?