Switzerland as add on to italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2023, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling with my husband and children (11/13) to Italy for an anniversary celebration with 11 extended family members. Trip is set for October 2023. We are spending a week with the extended family in Italy (Tuscany, cinqueterre) but wanted to fly over a few days early (maybe 4 days +/-). Our family week in Italy will begin in Pisa- we have to meet up with the others there. Trying to decide if flying to Zurich (we can fly there direct so that’s a plus) and then taking the train south to Milan? Or ? would be a worthwhile way to spend our extra time. If so, what towns on the Bernina express route would be a good stopping point? Basically I need someone to give me an idea if this would be worth doing/ feasible for the time constraints we have and also ending up in Pisa. I don’t want to spend the entire 4 days traveling and trying to figure out how to get from point a to point b. We have been to Italy once before. Rented a car. Hubs was happy to drive so we could consider a rental car but from what I hear the train is the best way to see the sights. Anyone who could give me some insight or even another suggestion of a great side trip with pre-teen boys? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 02:49 AM

St. Moritz and further options

Hello Meghan,

For me it depends how convenient is to fly to Zurich instead of a place near Tuscany/Liguria as the trip from Zurich to Firenze, for example is about 5-6h long by train and probably even longer by car. Milan is on the way and a very interesting city.

For your extra time in Switzerland, if you aim the Bernina railway, definitely stay in the upper Engadine: St. Moritz or one of the surrounding villages (Pontresina, Celerina, Samedan, Silvaplana, Champfèr, Sils). Alternatively, on your way to Milan, you can consider Lucerne in central Switzerland or Locarno-Ascona and Lugano in canton Ticino. Travel by public transportation.

In Italy, an option on the way south could be Bologna. I love this city and I find it's internationally underrated. Turin too, but is is not on the way south. However, it's just 1h by high speed train away from Milan. Out of the way, too, but deserving more than everywhere, the maravellous Venice!

The pre-teens could find fun the amusement parks around lake Garda, as Gardaland. Lake Garda, with Sirmione and the pleasant locations on the shores, could be also targeted. Here a car would be useful. In Italy the major cities are conveniently connected by high speed trains and the city centers are hell for the foreigner car driver. But, outside, on the land, a car is useful and more convenient.
Old Feb 8th, 2023, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the response!! Going to do some further research on these options.
Old Feb 10th, 2023, 06:54 AM

Hello Meaghan

Time is already a bit short to travel in Switzerland. But St.Moritz would certainly be a good option to then travel to Italy via the Bernina route. On the other hand, Lucerne and the surrounding area would be almost more interesting because there are more possibilities for excursions and culture. From Lucerne you can also travel quite quickly to Milan.

Have a great trip!
Martin

Last edited by Moderator3; Feb 10th, 2023 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Delete reference to YT channel
Old Feb 16th, 2023, 09:13 AM

There are 3 train itineraries between Zurich airport and Milan:
1. via Bernina (3 train changes), recommended stop over at or around St. Moritz/Pontresina
2. via Gotthard (1 train change), recommended stop over at Lucerne and Lugano
3. via Loetschberg-Simplon (1 train change), recommended stop over at Spiez/Interlaken/Jungfrau and Visp/Zermatt-Matterhorn/Aletsch Glacier.
There are direct trains from Milan to 5Terre - Pisa - Livorno.
Old Feb 16th, 2023, 01:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you do go to Switzerland, stay in charming Pontresina instead of St-Moritz.